PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What Tebow was doing after the Loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems that people are more hung up on Tebow's horrible and terrible preaching as a character flaw than the less desireable behavior of many other players.
Tebow has been captured on camera stating words to the effect that if you don't believe in God you're going to hell. I'd suggest that's what perks up people's interest when it comes to his religious proselytising.

Putting that aside, he seems like a nice guy, one anyone would be happy to have in their corner. That said, Tebow isn't the first and he won't be the last person of means and sporting prowess who uses their fame to positively affect the lives of those less fortunate or suffering illness.

The media latched on to Tebow in college and then went running with their bias pro and con.

This year is an extension of that with his being successful with the Broncos. That is not Tebows fault. He seems like a really good person. He is religious and that bothers some people, there are worse things that he can be.

I'm not a very religious person and it doesn't bother me. Unless they try to impose their beliefs on others, and I don't see that with Tebow. Just talking about it is not imposing it on others.

That is who this kid is and has been his whole life.

Perhaps you should read the link from NFL.com, he spends time bring people with severe medical problems to game and spends time with them afterwards.

Or this:

Tim Tebow foundation to help build children's hospital in Philippines - ESPN

I actually read the link before I posted. That said, my opinion is still that I'd rather Christians speak through their actions, Tebow does plenty, which is why I respect him, but what would you think about the hypothetical atheist football player that wants to get in your face with his atheism?

Agz3V_qCQAA_fv7.jpg:large

Seems that people are more hung up on Tebow's horrible and terrible preaching as a character flaw than the less desireable behavior of many other players.

Not at all. I acknowledged Tebows contribution to humanity. I don't think Woods deserves to be classed with vick though.

I never remembered any of these religious issues brought forward when arguably the greatest Defensive Lineman of all time...Reggie White was well known to be a devout man of God and a Preacher/Lineman.

Reggie was probably as much if not an even deeper follower of Jesus than Tebow if Possible.

It's not that his religion is a character flaw, it's the fact that he feels the need to project it, constantly. It doesn't make him a bad person, but it also doesn't mean that I have to like it.

If Tebow ultimately fails as a starting QB and is relegated to a lesser role, it would not surprise me to see him quit football altogether and enter missionary work like his parents. The Broncos have a real dilemma with this kid, because of the style of offense they must commit to for him to have any kind of success. I don't think they want to commit to him long term.

Well, I think John Elway was p***ed at his success. . . .

Then again, if they decide to move on, don't be surprised if he ends up in a different shade of blue. :eek:

Last edited:
He's done some good work over in the DR as well, which is pretty close to my heart as my girl is dominican and my son is half. Having been over there myself and seen the way some live its great that he walks the walk and helps people who really need it. Respects. I don't think it's for show IMHO.

I'm not a Christian, but I'll gladly agree that Tebow seems like a terrific leader and all-around impressive young man. I have no doubt that his faith and caring are genuine.

Clearly a lot of the negative response is sparked by the circus that surrounds him, more than any action of his own. The NFL has many players and coaches who are men of deep faith and who go out of their way to help those less fortunate. Yet at this point, every nice thing Tebow does is publicized more than the rest of them put together. Then when Tebow's pastor goes and suggests that God is making Tebow win because he's higher in God's eyes than any of the players he lines up against...well, that's bound to rankle people, through no fault of Tim's.

In one way, though, I think Tebow has made himself a legitimate target of criticism. He did choose to make himself the public face of a highly controversial political organization. Without getting into any specific issues or agendas, that seems to me to be a choice to be a lightning rod. (And you can see why it might make people skeptical of the "angel-like humility" attributed to Tebow earlier in this thread.)

I never remembered any of these religious issues brought forward when arguably the greatest Defensive Lineman of all time...Reggie White was well known to be a devout man of God and a Preacher/Lineman.

Reggie was probably as much if not an even deeper follower of Jesus than Tebow if Possible.

Oh Reggie had STRONGER views than Tebow, Reggie was outspoken against homosexuality and that got him unfriended, long before people knew how to unfriend.

Reggie told everyone that God told him to go to Green bay (that went over really well in Philly). Still the Minister of Defense, was a fantastic DE!

But no, nobody ever gave Reggie the hatred that is shout towards Tebow.

Even the "deep thinkers" on the NFL network, Marshal Faulk, Dieon, and Michael Irvin all agreed that if Tebow was of any other religion, he would universally praised, and not vilified as he is.

Last edited:

He also played in a time with a ton less media and insight into their lives.

...How many guys do stuff like this, and never get the press, or never want the press. I'm guessing quite a few. How many are religious and take part in the post game prayer or pray for a kick to sail thru the uprights, a lot. Why is Tebow a story?? ...
Lots, that's how many. I had family stuck at Children's for a long time, and BIG stars came to see her all the time. Tim Wakefield could have had an office there. Lots of others came to see her often, and they wanted no publicity for it. Good for Tebow, but if he wanted to keep his charity quiet, he could have.

He's a below average NFL quarterback and deserves only a small part of the celebrity he gets. Being an outspoken Christian is TV gold. This is just the latest in ESPN's shameless promotion of a sports celebrity. Woods, LeBron, Big Ben, all dirtbags. Now they're looking for a saintly type to make us forget about those losers. It's not Tebow's fault, but he seems to be soaking it up a bit. Hope his closet is skeleton free, but if it isn't, ESPN has annointed another dud and I'll laugh at them...again. Poor kid doesn't seem to realize that the higher ESPN takes you, the more it hurts when you crash.

If you thank Jesus for each TD, what does that imply about your opponent? I think it's kind of offensive in a way. Tebow seems to be a very decent and kind person and for that he deserves kudos, but the way he so visibly inserts religion onto the playing field is just too much. Kurt Warner also did a little too much of that early in his career and annoyed a lot of people, but when he toned it down, people began to respect him more. It's fine to be religious, but keep it off the field except perhaps when praying for an injured player.

If you thank Jesus for each TD, what does that imply about your opponent? I think it's kind of offensive in a way. Tebow seems to be a very decent and kind person and for that he deserves kudos, but the way he so visibly inserts religion onto the playing field is just too much. Kurt Warner also did a little too much of that early in his career and annoyed a lot of people, but when he toned it down, people began to respect him more. It's fine to be religious, but keep it off the field except perhaps when praying for an injured player.

I think you're misreading the thanking of Jesus. He isn't trying to out-pray the opponent. I just think he's sincerely expressing his gratitude for the inspiration he gets from him. I don't know this but I have a feeling he thanks God after losing games too. I think he's genuine and any departure for the purpose of political correctness would be what's phony. I've seen and known a lot of phony religious people and I'm pretty sure Tim Tebow's not one of them and he really tries to be as good a person as he can. Nobody's perfect though and there are some out there(not saying you) that can't wait for any sign for that gottcha! moment.

Last edited:

Kraft, whose Jewish faith has been a source of comfort as he mourns the passing of his wife, Myra, did express support for the opposing quarterback’s religious convictions.

“I like this whole emphasis on spirituality with Tim Tebow,” the Pats’ owner said. “It’s a great thing that people are talking about faith and values that are important – we need that in society.”

Pats' Brady takes some air out of Tebow mania - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Also, for the record, you should take a closer listen to what Tebow is saying/praying.

In a league with cornerbacks that can't name all their out of wedlock children, players that rape women, kill dogs, shoot themselves in the leg with an illegal gun, drug dealers, drug abusers....

The one person that gets the most hate for their off the field behavior and character issues is the guy who uses his money not to hire hookers but to care for orphans and the terminally ill.

I don't get it.

If you don't like Tebow, who is your hero? Micheal Vick? Tiger Woods?

I don't know....how about Tom Brady.

Tebow or Vick, no in between?

Last edited:
Tebow is def a class act. The media is going to try to tear him down especially since he was so successful in the college game. Is he a great NFL player? No! However, the guy is pure classy and he works hard every week. I don't, however, think the backlash is against Tebow the player, but against the constant ESPN coverage of him. Just like Brady and the Pats.....The Pats went from media darling to the evil empire in a span of 5 years despite decades of mediocrity!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes