PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What team has done the best so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robdude

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I realize free agency is only a few days old, but, as of today what team has improved the most?

As much as I do not want to say it, I think the Jets have done the best job so far. Two solid guards and a LB is a pretty good start. Along with this they have made some trades to get more picks towards the draft. I do not see any team that did better.

I know we resigned some of our own players but I would not say the Pats improved through agency as of yet.

As much as I do not want to say it, I think the Jets have done the best job so far. Two solid guards and a LB is a pretty good start. Along with this they have made some trades to get more picks towards the draft. I do not see any team that did better.

You're asking two different questions. The Jets have done the most, and yes, probably improved their team the most on paper, but that doesn't necessarily mean the signings have been smart or will make them a contender in '08. I'd argue that they should have continued to rebuild instead of overspending on veterans, so I don't think they've done the best at all.

Personally, I like the moves the Browns have made, since they were a team right on the cusp already.

Yeah the Jets have improved to 7-9.

The Browns have made some great moves

If Vilma can come back healthy the Saints got a major steal there and I would say that would be the best move so far, but we wont find out until the season starts.

That is actually what I am wondering. You could say that they over spent but they have made some bigs steps to improve their swiss cheese OL that could pay off greatly for them.

They are also well situated for the draft with the trades they made.

I like what the Browns have done. Stallworth will be the perfect compliment to what they have going with Edwards and Winslow, and at least on paper, their run defense has improved dramatically with the two new interior lineman.

The Jets have taken a page out of Daniel Snyder's offseason playbook, which is to throw boat loads of cash at everyone. Signing o-linemen over the age of 30 with double digit guaranteed money is not smart business.

Gotta say the Browns are the winners so far. They haven't overpaid anyone but have still made significant improvements.

Tough to say a team like the Jets are best, as they have to hit on literally all of their FAs or the contracts will sink the class.

Sure, the Jets have debatably improved their team the most (I'd argue the Brown, but the Jets are right up there). That said, they overpaid everyone that they signed, and are in the process of murdering any potential cap flexibility that they could have down the line. Therefore, I'd say that, though they have been most active, they certainly have not been the best. In fact, one thing that you'll notice if you take a step back is that the teams that are the most active in free agency in the first couple of days typically aren't the consistent contenders, and that isn't a coincidence.

I realize free agency is only a few days old, but, as of today what team has improved the most?

I know we resigned some of our own players but I would not say the Pats improved through agency as of yet.

the jets with all the moves they have made, have overpaid and over valued their players, i would not be surprised if they have to cut some of their draftees due to cap issues, or they starts the 09 season over the cap limit

I like what NO has done. Bobby McCray, Vilma and Randall Gay are all effort team first players. NO is well positioned at #10 to further address defense. Keith Rivers would rd out the LB corps nicely.

Elsewhere...

I don't like the Shaun Rogers trade for the Browns. He is a total boom/bust player. Maybe it'll work out, but I don't see how anyone can be giddy about it. Now they have no 1st 2nd 3rd or 5th rd picks. Genius. Savage is a very overrated talent evaluator. He pushed C. Frye on Romeo, who wanted D. Anderson all along. Finally Romeo got his way and dumped Frye, and now Savage can't stop crowing about what a genius he is. Then he trades up for Quinn in rd 1, and signs Anderson to an $8 million a year contract, declaring Quinn won't have an opportunity to compete for the starting position. So why'd he draft him in rd 1? Fraud.

The Jets are spending like drunken sailors on crack whores. Whoop-de-damn-do, to quote Derrick Coleman.

Last edited:
Mangini has to make the Jets much better this year or he is gone part way through the season next year. Period end of story no question in my mind. Therefore he was forced to overpay for a bunch of older veterans who could come in and help him immediately. Thats what he did, and I believe the Jets will be better next year, however, they now have a bunch of older players, some of whom are injury prone, tied up in long term contracts for a bunch of guaranteed money. Which doesn't bode well for the long term success of the franchise. The Jets real goal should be to be the best team in the division and win the superbowl. I personally don't think these moves made them better than the Patriots next year, and will hurt them in the years to come, but we shall see.

Last edited:
You're asking two different questions. The Jets have done the most, and yes, probably improved their team the most on paper, but that doesn't necessarily mean the signings have been smart or will make them a contender in '08. I'd argue that they should have continued to rebuild instead of overspending on veterans, so I don't think they've done the best at all.

Personally, I like the moves the Browns have made, since they were a team right on the cusp already.

I agree. The Browns are trying to do some damage in the playoffs. The Jets are mortgaging their future to become an 8-8 team next season. Sounds a lot like the niners last year.

In my mind it is the money that the Jets that are handing out that is impressive not the players they are bringing in. They are handing out huge salaries and guarantees to guys who have questions about work ethic and motivation like Woody and Pace. I mean does anyone here wish it was the Pats that had handed Woody $10M in guarantees? That's a lot of hamburgers.

Anyway, going from terrible to mediocre is completely different from going from mediocre to good. Sure, the Browns are overpaying a bit (like with Stallworth) but at least they are just trying to plug a few holes.

The Browns, imo, have done the best.
The Jets & Fins are in the position that, no matter what they do, they should improve on their pathetic situations, but will we look back in 3-4 years and say this off-season was a success? Especially in the Jets' case?

I think the Jags did ok, although I don't know that the Minny wr was a good choice. They did get Porter & Florence, but lost Stroud.

Browns don't have a pick until round 4 so not so fast.

Sure, the Jets have debatably improved their team the most (I'd argue the Brown, but the Jets are right up there). That said, they overpaid everyone that they signed, and are in the process of murdering any potential cap flexibility that they could have down the line. Therefore, I'd say that, though they have been most active, they certainly have not been the best. In fact, one thing that you'll notice if you take a step back is that the teams that are the most active in free agency in the first couple of days typically aren't the consistent contenders, and that isn't a coincidence.

agreed, if your talking about who's roster has improved the most from last year, i'd say jets or browns. but both teams have overpaid for their players and have set themselves up for cap problems down the line. browns gave too much in the trade for rogers and williams. and they gave williams a monster deal. the jets gave the second worst contract of free agency to pace(first was the raiders and kelly). the 3rd worst deal might be the woody contract, way too much money for a guy who has played 5 career games at the position they signed him for and for a guy with injury problems and a weight problem. i like what the saints are doing. they re-signed some guys and mccray and gay were good pickups, a little too much money for my liking, but considering the other deals out there, not a bad job. plus i think the vilma trade was a steal for the saints. 49ers are up there too. overspent for justin smith a bit. but i think its still too early to be judging all the teams, we still got a long way to go.

I like the moves the Browns have made. They are very close to taking the Conference this year. In fact i can see them winning it.

Browns don't have a pick until round 4 so not so fast.

Exactly. The problem with Cleveland's offseason thus far is that they've made almost all the moves to get starters that they'll make. Unless they plan on picking up a starter or two from what's left in FA or from round 4 on in the draft.

I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned the Bills. They might not have signed the biggest names, but they've made some good moves to fill up their holes. They haven't grossly overpaid anyone, they still have 8 picks left (barring compensatory, of which one compensatory guru thinks they'll get a 4th and a 7th for) in the draft (one in each round, two in the 7th). They have a lot of guys coming back from injuries, and a lot of guys with starting experience now, and they lost zero starters to FA (except they let Tripplett go, but that was bound to happen). IMO they've gotten good value, haven't gone overboard, still have good draft picks (#11, 41, 71, I believe). Then again, I'm biased.

Cleveland has done well, but they have limited maneuverability at this point. They pretty much have their starting team set right now unless they trade away future picks to get back into this draft.

The Jets have done pretty well too, though they've paid a lot of money and seem to have upset their current players. FA spending sprees aren't always the best way to build a team, especially when you're trading away former high draft picks. We'll have to see how it turns out for the Jets.

Any team that didn't sign overrated free agents gets an A. The best deals go to Lance Briggs of the Bears and Randy Moss of the Patriots. Stallworth's deal was that bad either. Worst transactions go to the Raiders for signing Tommy Kelly and Javon Walker to 50 million dollar contracts. They get an F-

Last edited:
Browns Bills and Saints

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill