Welcome to PatsFans.com

What should Obama do?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Dec 1, 2011.

?

What should Obama do about defense cuts?

1. Allow the cuts to happen

44.4%
  2. Negotiate with the Republicans around the defense cuts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Tell the Republicans that if they don't want to cut defense, they must raise taxes on the wealthy

22.2%
  4. Other

33.3%
  1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +492 / 20 / -17

Boehner: Help stop defense cuts - Seung Min Kim - POLITICO.com

Speaker John Boehner wants President Barack Obama to jump in and prevent the Pentagon from getting slammed with hundreds of billions in budget cuts set to go into effect thanks to the failure of the deficit supercommittee.

Saying “no one really wants to go there” on the automatic cuts to defense and domestic programs, Boehner said Obama has the responsibility to work with lawmakers to find a way around these automatic cuts to defense spending.

“He’s the commander –in-chief,” Boehner told reporters Thursday. “He knows what those cuts mean to the military and so I frankly believe that Congress still must work with the president to find a solution to our long-term debt.”

2. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,288 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

Grant the DoD the opportunity to justify their budget. Of course, that requires a cohesive, and coherent, strategic vision for the next twenty years (i.e. beyond the election cycle).

3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +369 / 10 / -14

They are only talking about 600B over 10 years ie 60B per year, this is not important. Window dressing is all this is.

Cut it now.After Obama is defeated cut another 9 B, as the Tea Party budget recommends. Boehner is a moron, Obama and Reid are worse.

4. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +356 / 7 / -4

What should he do meaning President Obama (i.e., what's best for the nation) or candidate Obama (what's best for his re-election)? Sadly, I don't think the 2 are the same.

5. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

We should do what the Pentagon itself recommends we do. I have no problem with cutting military spending in accordance with what the Pentagon recommends.

But the biggest problems with out of control military spending is every time the Pentagon recommends we cut a program, Congressman Smith from the district that manufactures that plane or ship or sub or engine or whatever fights the cut.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I know what it should mean:

Withdraw from and close bases in Japan, Germany, England, and every other country that doesn't use the initials U.S.A.

Barry Goldwater ain't walking through that door any time soon. The Pentagon is a welfare project. Their operation has less to do with the military than it does with paying the contractors.

7. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +908 / 14 / -7

Yes. The single largest discretionary spending program in the known universe should be asked to write its own ticket.

They will naturally cut their own budget by billions.

That is how we can scale down big government... we can just ask each cabinet level department how much they need... and then when they say, we should say "really?" like really skeptically. Then if they still say yes, well, they must really need that much.

The way you do it is you say, give me your budget submission, and make your total $X, or I'll tell you to do it again. The time for that approach was when the '13 budget submissions went up. The '12 submissions are way past a year old now. And as we all know, they're all exercises in futility because congress is offline.

The Pentagon's budget doubled in the last decade. They're also being asked to do a lot more.

So two things, ask them to do less (check, in terms of Iraq winding down,) and begin reversing the explosion in military budget growth of the last decade.

Politically, it'll be interesting. Doing the right thing might involve vetoing a military spending bill - that's where the rubber hits the road. It's where you're hitting much of the nation's knee cap with the tap hammer, to see whether the reflex has changed.

Watching & seeing.

PFnV

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011