Welcome to PatsFans.com

What rocket scientist thought this one up????

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patsfanin Philly, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Okay, so it's fall and college students are moving back to campus. It is sure to get hectic with thousands moving in on the same day. What is the worst hassle you can image? I know, let's schedule a Presidential visit to discuss college tuition and shut down the main entrance to a campus on a day when 10,000 students are trying to move in...
    ------------------------------------
    Forwarded to me;
    Date: Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 4:27 PM
    Subject: Campus Road Closures on Friday
    To: XXXXXX@binghamton.edu

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY IF YOU PLAN ON ARRIVING ON CAMPUS ON FRIDAY AUGUST 23.
    A MESSAGE FROM PRESIDENT STENGER:
    You may have heard that President Barack Obama will be visiting the Binghamton University campus on Friday, Aug. 23.
    As you can imagine, the President's visit will prompt roads to be closed along his driving route, and will also cause parts of the campus to be closed to traffic ? and pedestrians ? for an extended period of time. From 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday, the main entrance to campus and the Brain around campus will be closed to traffic. During this period, there will be VERY limited access to residence halls from the East Access Road and West Access Road.
    A map indicating Friday's closures can be accessed from the home page of the Binghamton University website.
    Because of the difficulty these closures will create for you as you return for the fall semester, we strongly encourage you to time your return to campus to avoid arriving between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m.
    We look forward to your return and hope you'll join in the fun at the 20th annual University Fest celebration from 1-5 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 24, on the Harpur Quad, followed by Shindig at the Fountain from 5-8 p.m.!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
  2. jmur116

jmur116 Rookie

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0

I am sure that somehow this will be laid at the feet of the President. I do not envy the current President any more than I did the previous 2 (GW and Bill). They live under such a microscope that their every move is scrutinized and debated. One side will place the man on a pedestal and defend every action while the other will deride his every step.

When I was in Kansas, I saw GW Bush speak at Kansas State University. He arrived via helicopter and left the same way. I saw news reports complaining that his appearance caused traffic on I-70 approximately 20 miles from the campus. Some how he was responsible for a car accident that had nothing to do with his actions.

Same here, Obama is speaking on a topic that he believes to be important. He did not schedule the conference, or invite himself. He is merely going to perform the functions of his position. The resulting chaos will be blamed on him, but unfairly so.
  3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +371 / 4 / -2

57% of students now use borrowed funds. That's up from 47% last year. I think at least IIR the article from Monday. The Education Industrial Complex needs its coin.
  4. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Actually his staff. Yes it is important but is it so important, that it couldn't wait one week until everyone moves in?? This is an example of not considering the needs of others....7500+ of them...who planned to move in on Friday during those hours....
  5. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +387 / 6 / -9

The note said "If you are planning on coming to campus on Friday, August 23." It didn't say that's the sole move-in day for Binghamton students, that's for sure. Here's their web page... they certainly seem proud of the visit, I'll say that!

Binghamton University

The big "get there" day seems to be Thursday, 8/22:

Thursday, August 22
    Returning students able to move into residence halls after 3 p.m. Thursday
    Thursday, August 22
    Residence halls open for new students 9 a.m.

Classes seem to begin Monday, 8/26. It is possible to move in on both Saturday and Sunday.

But I hear where you're coming from -- you know every one of those kids will want to be in town when O is addressing their university. Are you kidding me?

PFnV
  6. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Based on past experience, the Thur is for Freshman and the Fri is the big day for move in....Who wants to move on a Sat or Sun when clases start on Monday? Since you can only move in after 3 pm on Thur as an upperclassman, it also requires special permission ( not listed here as in a job on campus or some special situation) The mass move in usually starts on Fri morning which will be totally disrupted. The original plan was for the President to speak downtown at a satellite part of the campus so as to not disrupt the masses but that got changed....My point still stands that it ignores the disruption that it unnecessarily creates...
  7. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +387 / 6 / -9

Did you ever complain about the road conditions during another president's speaking appearances?

You do know that Obama didn't invent public speeches by sitting presidents, I take it?

You do know that presidential appearances come with logistical hurdles for the host community -- but that almost without exception, without regard to party, the host communities tend to be pretty darn proud to play host... right?

I mean, what's the complaint here? That he's speaking at a college or something? If he speaks after classes start on Monday, would that be taking the kids away from their studies? If he spoke on the Sunday, would that be inconveniencing them on their last day to move in? If he spoke on the Saturday, wouldn't you in fact declare that only rich kids have parents who can take them down during the week, because they have to work?

Come off it. There is nothing post-worthy here.
  8. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

What if the President decided to speak at the Rotary in Foxboro on the day of a Pats home game and they shut down Route 1 around Gillette in both directions?
    That is the only comparable thing I can think of in terms of timing. My gripe is that he decided to speak on move in day. Parents who planned to move their kids in on Friday are stuck because the highways will all be shut down or girdlocked and hotels are all booked for 30 miles in every direction. When was the last time you endured the logistics of moving a child into college? Oh and that comment about being able to move in on Thursday...They are telling the upperclassman that despite what it says on the website, they can't move in until 8 am Friday right around the time that all roads will be shut on campus...
    This is not anti-Obama, my gripe would stand with Bush, but I would have hoped that they wouldn't have had as much of a tin ear to the inconveniences.....
  9. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +387 / 6 / -9

It's the day after move-in day, by the school's calendar. You're claiming secret knowledge that Friday is the real move-in day, based on what, faded memories? It just ain't true. It's a move-in day.

I am sure every young republican will be complaining about the inconvenience to his or her move-in activities, as if there were no way to move in on Thursday, Saturday, or Sunday.

Get over it. If the President comes to your school, it's gonna cause a local stir, and it's gonna cause disruption to certain routes. That happens wherever a sitting President goes.

I mean, really, is he supposed to never speak to a college?

I think just about every president has done a commencement speech, isn't that "move-out day" for some kids? After all you can't do commencement until classes are over. You can gin up some rhetoric about how they'll be trapped there and can't go home.

And I'm sure this isn't the first time a president's talked at the beginning of a school year either.

Feh.
  10. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

No, it's not. Freshman moved in yesterday and upper classman move in today, despite what the calendar says. While it stated that upperclassman could move in after 3 pm yesterday, as a practical matter, it was ONLY for those with jobs on campus or with special permission, roughly 10% of student body. How do I know?? Because my child attends there and I moved him in last night!!!!!!! (He has a campus job)

The front page of the local newspaper talked about how they were shutting down the interstates around campus for the entirety of his visit to accommodate the motorcade but since they keep the route secret for security reasons, you don't know if you'll get stuck in your car for several hours....It must have just started to sink in for th eadministration because officials who previously proclaimed that there wouldn't be any disruption ( when the visit was announced, it was supposed to be at an off campus facility 8 miles away which would have been great) now were apologizing in advance for the major disruption and posting signs all over campus.....(damage control)
    Firsthand knowledge is usually good enough..........