Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Will Reese's hiring affect what the Pats do with Cassel?

• Yes--now more likely they keep him

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Yes--now more likely they trade him

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • No

Votes: 32 72.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
As I've said all along, I don't see pressure on the Patriots part to trade Cassel before the draft. If they're confident Brady's back then fine - do it... they'll get the maximum value...

But even well into the summer they will still get quality value for him - at a time when they have a better assurance that Brady will be playing. This year is a much tougher schedule than last. If they think there's a chance Brady won't be ready I'm not sure they want to go in with a Journeyman backup - though I do remain high on O'Connell, he's untested.

yes, that would mean waiting an extra year to gain the value of the draft picks - and it would be taking a chance as to what draft picks those actually are - but I think the Pats have that luxury and could create some conditions where they're assured of value (i.e. if a team is picking from 20-30 in the first round they'd have to give up an extra second rounder too)

High praise from a talented evaluator, and makes me more confident that we'll get some great picks when Cassel leaves.

What ails the Patriots? They were ALREADY top Four in Offense, and top Ten in Defense, (8th in Points allowed), and had a probowl kicker on ST, and TD returners, while they started a guy who hadn't played since HS at QB.

Is the Defense at Top Ten not good enough? It was better than for two of their Superbowl victories. Will it get better without a single change? You would think so, since they played 9 players as starters who were newcomers, either FA or rooks/sophs. They still won 11 games, even in a rebuilding year. I'd guess a year's experience together, would move them up at least a few positions. Is the Offense old, decrepit, and collapsing? Actually it is quite young, and got better, more balanced, with a feared rushing game.

So once again what couldn't they fix that ails them? Do they already plan on helping out their present squads by adding talent? I think an already existing Double Draft with picks in 1st, 2 2nds, 2 3rds, and probably 2 4ths and 2 5ths, might help, just a teeny, weeny, little bitty smidgen. :eek: ;)

Maybe the correct question is what haven't they already rebuilt? Is there really anything more to do, than simply wait and let the experience improve the squad?

I am as big a Pats fan as there is, but I have to be honest with myself. Their linebackers are getting old and they need some youth to train and fill in. Their secondary was horrible, they need to get bigger and more physical back there. The two rookies played well while they were in, but with Ellis Hobbs back there why throw at anybody else? They could use a free safety. Sanders looked like a keeper a couple of years ago but stepped backward last season. A pass rushing OLB would really be nice.

On the offense, a young guard/tackle would really be nice and a tight end who can both block and catch would be tremendous.

Statistics lie. The Pats were near the bottom in red zone defense, and their give away/take away was +1; it usually has to be better than that to win a Super Bowl. They were near the bottom in pass defense and completions allowed. They can use that $14M to replenish the ranks, bring in a FA or two.
They are a very good team, but Pittsburg would have beaten them last week, and maybe Baltimore also. That is the competition for the title, that is what we have overtake.

I don't think it is sarcasm but it isn't serious logic I would call it flawed logic.....Which somehow could be true but hopefully we never find out.

screw that..........cassel was garbage last summer........

there's a reason the pats used a 3rd rounder on a QB last year......could it be they have a higher regard for o'connell on draft day than any QB this regime has drafted? he's the future

learn to recognize when an organization is trying to jack up someones value

Last edited:

So let us jack up Cassel's value and keep your mouth shut!

As for as all of us are concerned, Brady is HURT and we are keeping Cassel, and it will require massive amounts of picks for us to part with Cassel!!

Remember--all of these things were said by Reese before he took the job.

And now, Devil's advocate--I think that drafting O'Connell was independent of their opinion of Cassel. Personally, I figured that Cassel wouldn't be a Patriot in 2009, regardless of how good he was/wasn't; either the Patriots would cut him or trade him before the season began, or they'd let him pursue opportunities that would give him a better chance of starting.

In any case, as of the end of the 2008 season, Cassel > O'Connell. The big question in my mind is, how does O'Connell compare to the Patriots' other options?

So let us jack up Cassel's value and keep your mouth shut!

As for as all of us are concerned, Brady is HURT and we are keeping Cassel, and it will require massive amounts of picks for us to part with Cassel!!

lets? all of us? we? picks for us?

OK BB!!!!

Remember--all of these things were said by Reese before he took the job.

And now, Devil's advocate--I think that drafting O'Connell was independent of their opinion of Cassel. Personally, I figured that Cassel wouldn't be a Patriot in 2009, regardless of how good he was/wasn't; either the Patriots would cut him or trade him before the season began, or they'd let him pursue opportunities that would give him a better chance of starting.

In any case, as of the end of the 2008 season, Cassel > O'Connell. The big question in my mind is, how does O'Connell compare to the Patriots' other options?

yeah......just like at the end of the 2000 season, bledsoe > brady

as for o'connell, the front office MUST see big things in him to have taken him in the 3rd round

and cassel will not be a patriot in 2009

I think that drafting O'Connell was independent of their opinion of Cassel. Personally, I figured that Cassel wouldn't be a Patriot in 2009, regardless of how good he was/wasn't

:yeahthat: With Cassel scheduled to be a UFA after the season, the Pats picked up a raw young QB with immense potential to groom for the backup job. They had to assume that Cassel would seek greener pastures, i.e. a chance to compete for actual playing time. Then fate intervened.

Drafting O'Connell was simply sensible long-term planning, and good solid value -- especially compared to this year's QB draft class.

We also have Kevin O'Connell. If the Pats were OK with going into a season w Cassel as the only backup (2007), then I think they will be OK w Brady and O'C.

Why?

They really had no CAP choice then. And Vinny Testaverde was a mere phone call away. He knew the system too. Cassel was obviously unready, but he had THREE years of grooming, unlike KO'C who is entering only his SECOND season.

Sometimes you have to roll the dice and hope it doesn't come up snake eyes. The Patriots lucked out. Then the luck ran out in 2008. They just had a lot of expensive old-timers in 2007, and couldn't afford more, unlike today, with a lot of cheaper, talented, youngsters on their rebuilt roster.

sure the pats can trade him........prior to last season, cassel was a stiff......if cassel can do what he did last year, O'connell can do even better

Thats utterly ridiculous. The chance that KO'C is ever as good as cassel is right now is probably less than 5%

But...the whole point of waiting to trade Cassel is to provide for the case where you KEEP him. Which means you CAN'T count on recouping that money to sign your rookies. Right? I totally don't understand a plan where you're banking on trading Cassel but you decide to sit out the whole free agency period first.

:confused:

persumably it may take some time to strum up the right team and value for him.

screw that..........cassel was garbage last summer........

there's a reason the pats used a 3rd rounder on a QB last year......could it be they have a higher regard for o'connell on draft day than any QB this regime has drafted? he's the future

I am not saying O'Connell cant be good I am saying it is flawed to think one way or the other based on Cassell.....Than I was saying I never want to find out about O'Connell for obvious reasons.

Why?

They really had no CAP choice then. And Vinny Testaverde was a mere phone call away. He knew the system too. Cassel was obviously unready, but he had THREE years of grooming, unlike KO'C who is entering only his SECOND season.

Sometimes you have to roll the dice and hope it doesn't come up snake eyes. The Patriots lucked out. Then the luck ran out in 2008. They just had a lot of expensive old-timers in 2007, and couldn't afford more, unlike today, with a lot of cheaper, talented, youngsters on their rebuilt roster.

Cassel was actually Brady's only backup for the first half of the 2006 season, before they signed Testaverde, and when he only had as much experience in the system as O'Connell would at the start of the 2009 season.

Thats utterly ridiculous. The chance that KO'C is ever as good as cassel is right now is probably less than 5%

Then why did they draft him in the third round?

sure the pats can trade him........prior to last season, cassel was a stiff......if cassel can do what he did last year, O'connell can do even better

get draft picks, build for the future.....something cassel is not a part of

Well the name utilized here is a little harsh.....but lets just say that Cassel did not do ANYTHING to impress the entire time he was here......but succeeded this year with a well structured, custom made offensive "package". I also think that this would work with perhaps Okee....or another QB that BB has faith in. I do NOT know if Cassel will be a huge success for some other team. He showed a ton of fire and guts this year....and stepped up when needed.......but still think there are alot of grey areas in his game.......I would be shocked if we do not trade Matt...........

I am as big a Pats fan as there is, but I have to be honest with myself. Their linebackers are getting old and they need some youth to train and fill in. Their secondary was horrible, they need to get bigger and more physical back there. The two rookies played well while they were in, but with Ellis Hobbs back there why throw at anybody else? They could use a free safety. Sanders looked like a keeper a couple of years ago but stepped backward last season. A pass rushing OLB would really be nice.

On the offense, a young guard/tackle would really be nice and a tight end who can both block and catch would be tremendous.

Statistics lie. The Pats were near the bottom in red zone defense, and their give away/take away was +1; it usually has to be better than that to win a Super Bowl. They were near the bottom in pass defense and completions allowed. They can use that $14M to replenish the ranks, bring in a FA or two.
They are a very good team, but Pittsburg would have beaten them last week, and maybe Baltimore also. That is the competition for the title, that is what we have overtake.

good realistic post. We have alot of gaping holes on defense and OL......could use a few picks from Trading Cassel......to restock the groceries (as Fat Tuna states

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back