Welcome to PatsFans.com

What Reese said about Cassel before joining the Pats

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by ctpatsfan77, Jan 28, 2009.

?

Will Reese's hiring affect what the Pats do with Cassel?

Poll closed Feb 4, 2009.
  1. Yes--now more likely they keep him

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. Yes--now more likely they trade him

10 vote(s)
    22.7%
  3. No

32 vote(s)
    72.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +607 / 11 / -6

Based on these, do you think the Pats hiring Reese changes their outlook on Cassel?

From ESPN.com.

After Cassel's game in Oakland:
    On Cassel's trade value:
    And a general comment on QBs yesterday, from Patriots.com:
  2. amazinPats

amazinPats Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Putting together Matt's latest comments on various media sources, where he indicates that he could play as Brady's backup if he had to, along with Reese's prior comments, it seems as if there is a good chance that Cassel will stay with the Pats. He could still be traded, but it will take a huge offer. We cannot rule out that scenario either.
  3. E Belichick Unum

E Belichick Unum Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The most interesting quote is:
    hearing something like that makes me wonder if more people around the league think the same thing.

I kind of think that the Pats have already made their minds up on Matt's future in NE. They really can't resign him to back up Tom Brady, or even as insurance against him not being ready. Matt isn't going to take a "hometown discount" large enough to let the Pats keep him. If I had to guess, Bill Belichick probably talked in generalities with a few teams at the Senior Bowl. Nothing illegal, but theoretical player A type stuff.

It is a shame, I really like Matt.
  4. StyLeZ X

StyLeZ X Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

we cannot afford both QB's especially when Brady looks like he will be ready for 09
  5. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +607 / 11 / -6

Which part?
  6. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +91 / 4 / -0

We also have Kevin O'Connell. If the Pats were OK with going into a season w Cassel as the only backup (2007), then I think they will be OK w Brady and O'C.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  7. BadMoFo

BadMoFo Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Regardless, I think we will be in a good situation this offseason.

We trade him, and from the sound of Reese, it sounds like we will not be shortchanged here. I'm thinking a first-rounder at least with the way he spoke of Cassel.

Or we keep Cassel, a guy we like.

I'll be happy either way.
  8. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,076 / 9 / -2

#11 Jersey

Cassel is THE offseason issue that has to be addressed before all others. I can't imagine that BB hadn't already made up his mind what to do, or that he's going to hand over the decision to Reese and say "whatever you feel like, Floyd." :) So no, I can't imagine that the addition of Reese will change Cassel's fate. I can imagine, though, that it will be Reese's job to get a trade done. That's just the kind of task you'd put in the hands of a respected veteran personnel man who knows EVERYBODY and who knows the ins and outs of getting a delicate deal done.
  9. signbabybrady

signbabybrady On the Roster

Ratings:
    +175 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

While I am sure BB has made up his mind on what to do I do not think that the issue needs to be resolved immediately before we can be active in FAency. the 14 mil in space we need to have to franchise Cassell can be used once he is traded on the rookies and on our own pending FA. Whatever we have ontop of the 14 can be used immediately on FA and does not need to be saved for rookies and if needed some could be saved for pending FA.

The Comments by Reese before joining us are really interesting because at the time he was an unbiased opinion. I don't think his unbiased opinion will change our thinking as that is a BB decision and as stated above I would imagine it has been made and all that is left is to find the trading partner and hagel the right compensation.
  10. billdog3484

billdog3484 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

With all due respect I disagree wholeheartedly. While I do think this issue may end up being the Patriots #1 decision in terms of importance, I think a wait-and-see approach would be the most effective. We cannot trade Cassel unless we are 100% certain that Brady will be able to come back and be effective. You cannot trade a franchise QB, as Floyd Reese and many others have called Matty, unless you are certain beyond a doubt that what you have is good. So, while i think this decision is very, very important, it may end up being one of the last decisions made.
  11. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

sure the pats can trade him........prior to last season, cassel was a stiff......if cassel can do what he did last year, O'connell can do even better

get draft picks, build for the future.....something cassel is not a part of
  12. billdog3484

billdog3484 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

is that serious logic or sarcasm?
  13. signbabybrady

Ratings:
    +175 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

I don't think it is sarcasm but it isn't serious logic I would call it flawed logic.....Which somehow could be true but hopefully we never find out.
  14. E Belichick Unum

E Belichick Unum Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It only takes a couple of GM's to think in those terms to create a bit of bidding war for Cassel. It's kind of funny, you go onto the forums and the fans don't think Matt is worth a #1, but they'll lay down that same #1 and more money for Sanchez. Cassel had an 11-5 record in the NFL, Sanchez had an 11-1 record at USC, where is the comparison? All they talk about is Cassel being a "system" QB, go figure. The thing is, if you look at how he played, he would make a great West Coast type of guy, with all the short to medium passes and the occasional bomb.

One thing is probably true, the Patriots really can't fix what ails them and keep both Brady and Cassel. Cassel may only have one year under his belt, but he is an athlete. I have seen him play in many celebrity type sporting events, as well as on TV, and seeing him in person creates a whole new opinion.
  15. patchick

Ratings:
    +1,076 / 9 / -2

#11 Jersey

I really, really hope it doesn't come to this. Maintaining flexibility to keep $14+ million under the cap -- or not -- would put the Patriots at a very significant competitive disadvantage in personnel planning.

Going by Miguel's current figures, the Patriots are $18.6 million under the cap without without RFAs, ERFAs, or franchisees. Say you tender Woods and Britt, franchise Cassel, and leave room for your rookies...then you're pretty well done, without even re-signing the likes of Paxton, Evans or Sanders. That's scary stuff.

I could well be off in this (I don't pretend to be a cap expert), but until someone can show me differently I'm treating the wait-and-see option for Cassel as a worst case scenario.
  16. AzPatsFan

AzPatsFan On the Roster

Ratings:
    +236 / 22 / -10

Says who? Miguel the ultimate authority says, yes we can...;)
  17. signbabybrady

Ratings:
    +175 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

I was saying some of the 14 mil on Cassel can be used on the Rooks once you trade him so that is money you dont need to include in the argument. while 4 mil of free money is not ideal some teams are negative and don't have a 14 mil hit they can get back at the drop of a trade.

Like you said we have 18 mil....subtract the 14 mil for Cassell but keep in mind that is money you will get back once he is traded. So the rookie pool can come from there and the money to sign our own pending free agents in 2010 can come from there. That leaves us with 4 mil to resign out guys and sign FA. That does hamstring you a bit but I am sure we will free up some money between now and than through cuts and re-structures.
  18. mtbykr

mtbykr PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

#37 Jersey

BB and company already know what they will do, and TB is really doing....it's just us that are left to speculate.
  19. AzPatsFan

AzPatsFan On the Roster

Ratings:
    +236 / 22 / -10

What ails the Patriots? They were ALREADY top Four in Offense, and top Ten in Defense, (8th in Points allowed), and had a probowl kicker on ST, and TD returners, while they started a guy who hadn't played since HS at QB.

Is the Defense at Top Ten not good enough? It was better than for two of their Superbowl victories. Will it get better without a single change? You would think so, since they played 9 players as starters who were newcomers, either FA or rooks/sophs. They still won 11 games, even in a rebuilding year. I'd guess a year's experience together, would move them up at least a few positions. Is the Offense old, decrepit, and collapsing? Actually it is quite young, and got better, more balanced, with a feared rushing game.

So once again what couldn't they fix that ails them? Do they already plan on helping out their present squads by adding talent? I think an already existing Double Draft with picks in 1st, 2 2nds, 2 3rds, and probably 2 4ths and 2 5ths, might help, just a teeny, weeny, little bitty smidgen. :eek: ;)

Maybe the correct question is what haven't they already rebuilt? Is there really anything more to do, than simply wait and let the experience improve the squad?
  20. patchick

Ratings:
    +1,076 / 9 / -2

#11 Jersey

But...the whole point of waiting to trade Cassel is to provide for the case where you KEEP him. Which means you CAN'T count on recouping that money to sign your rookies. Right? I totally don't understand a plan where you're banking on trading Cassel but you decide to sit out the whole free agency period first.

:confused:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.