Welcome to PatsFans.com

What REALLY irritates me about the Michael Irvin incident

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by QuiGon, Nov 28, 2006.

1. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I've been talking about the Michael Irvin incident for a while now, but it seems only yesterday did the general masses discover it. Of course, anyone that reads profootballtalk.com regularly (like I do) has known about it for over a week.

But what really irritates me about this whole thing is ESPN - not only how they have acted (or failed to act) but their hypocrisy and complete lack of journalistic integrity. Nobody (and I mean nobody) makes a bigger deal out of such controversial statements than ESPN does - unless it involves one of their own. That's why ESPN does everything they can to sweep such things under the rug.

When Steve Lyons gets fired by Fox, it is a big story on ESPN. But when ESPN fires Hal Reynolds or Jason Whitlock, nary a word is whispered about it anywhere on all of ESPN's media outlets.
  2. DeanPatsFan

DeanPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Rush was raked over the coals for what he said on ESPN but because Irving is black, he gets a free pass.

Makes perfect sense to me....
  3. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

That's what you're pissed about? Obviously ESPN is going to play down anything bad about ESPN. You think when any company does something embarassing they rush to put out a press release about it? If you're complaining about lack of journalistic integrity at ESPN, that train left the station long ago.
  4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +502 / 6 / -2

"Can't a brother get some love?"
  5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

Why do you think ESPN fired Jason Whitlock?
  6. Seymour93

Seymour93 Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Why is there always two threads on issues like these: one for Quigon and one for everyone else? Quigon is the same poster who somehow managed to create three different threads for Kerry's botched joke.
  7. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Race had very little to do with that firing, Whitlock was fired for publicly disparaging ESPN employees while still being employed there himself.
  8. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +502 / 6 / -2

He does do that alot. Although the worst might be that Terry Glenn dude who sometimes has an entire page full of posts nobody replies too. I do love the effort though.
  9. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Oye, don't get me started on Terry Glenn is a Cowgirl. If anything is going to push me to become a Neocon, that might be it.
  10. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I like TGIACG's posts a lot. They're very entertaining, like most other posters here. The wierder, the better I always say. I think it's wierd that I'm typing these words for Gawdknowswho right now!
  11. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well I am so used to the societal double standard whereby blacks can say anything they damn well want to and not be held accountable that it no longer angers me much anymore.
    Ah, but it's not just a point of "playing it down". It's a point of completely censoring the entire issue not only from their own network, but also from the people who participate in their network. In otherwords, you won't see Bob Ryan writing about it in his column (if he still wants to also work for ESPN, that is).
    I agree, and when I see another example of this, it angers me.
  12. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Gee, is there some sort of quota regarding threads and topics...? At least I am not like Nem, Patters or Mikey. I may start a thread about something already being discussed, but I don't start 15 threads that all say the exact same thing.