Welcome to PatsFans.com

What really happened tonight...we're becoming the Rams.

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Snarf, Nov 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snarf

Snarf Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -1

It's simple:

The Eagles played us tonight like we played the Rams in the Superbowl as underdogs a few years ago.

Physically.

Teams like us and those Rams aren't used to getting smashed in the mouth. Our team is so healthy because we have been winning games before half time. Our starters have NOT been playing smashmouth football. In many cases they have barely been playing three quarters of light football.

Most teams have given up trying to sack Brady after the half. The Pats have broken so many spirits that teams have melted in front of them.

What has resulted is that the Pats right now are technically brilliant, but physically untested. They are skilled, yet not toughened.

This is why BB has been putting pressure on them. He knows that they're getting soft with all of these easy games.

There are two possibilities for what really went down tonight:

a) The Pats ARE soft, and unable to hold up to a tough football team.

b) The coaching staff called a bizarre and downright strange game plan on purpose, to try to toughen the team up, so that the Pats of 2007 don't fall into the trap that the Rams did, and end up in a Superbowl unprepared for a smashmouth game.

I'd like to believe that (b) was what we witnessed tonight, but a part of me believes it may have been (a).

In any case, I am glad that the Pats have seen what a motivated and tough opponent can do to them. This gives the Pats more than ample time to toughen up over the coming weeks so that they're ready for hungry playoff opponents when the time comes.

We do not want to become complacent and soft as the St Louis Rams became.

We know how that ended up.
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  2. Snarf

Snarf Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -1

Re: What really happened tonight..... we're becoming the Rams.

Lest we not forget our history. You can be sure that BB hasn't forgotten:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208/is_6_226/ai_83040168/pg_5

"The Patriots were convinced they were tougher and more physical going into the game. Now, after being knocked around for most of the night, the Rams will see the finesse rap that has haunted them stick even longer.

"We are going to hit them and show them we are around," safety Lawyer Milloy warned earlier in Super Bowl week. By then, the Patriots had become convinced the Rams would flinch. "The Rams' way is a lot more finesse than offense," said inside linebacker coach Pepper Johnson. "It is good by them because you have finesse guys on that team. Myself, when I think about football, you are just not tired when you finish a game, you are worn down and beat up and have a couple of bruises."

Indeed, the Patriots' defensive backs asked their coaches to allow them to play man against the Rams, to bump them at the line, to slam them at every opportunity. If nothing else, they threw off the delicate timing of the St. Louis offense, frequently giving Warner no one to target, leaving him frustrated that he could throw two bad interceptions, one that was returned 47 yards by cornerback Ty Law for a second-quarter touchdown."
  3. patpatriot

patpatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's hard to be hard when everyone gives up before the game is even played. That's why this was a good game. This was playoff football. The Pats have to be ready to meet this kind of intensity or they will be the Rams.
  4. PatsFan#37

PatsFan#37 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

dude you are losing control.....we have a close game against a good team, and your ready to say we cant handle it. I think your a fairweather fan..chill out everything is still in control
  5. abejarano12

abejarano12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

The Eagles played will, but when it matter. The Pats finished the job, yea it may no have been a blow out, but it just proves that this team can win the dog fights and the blow outs.
  6. Snarf

Snarf Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -1

No, that is not what I said. It you had actually read what I said you would know that.

Instead you decided to be a dumbass and start name calling.

What I said was that the Pats have not had much exposure to tough games this year, and that it is a good thing for them to experience some tough games.

If this is makes no sense to you, then I suggest you douse your head in some kerosene and light it. Thank you.
  7. ddotderek

ddotderek Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Snarf I agree with you, its a very good write-up..but I dont think any coach would call a game to keep it close..that was too close for comfort, if the eagles didnt have such horrible play calling on that last drive..eagles could have won..The eagles played smash mouth in your face football, and the pats played "im going to get a back massage after i drive home in my s550 football"..they werent hustling on defense and the offense wasnt too motivated..Welker saved our asses..we need to play tough. I saw the eagles hit us really good tonight with some hard hits.
  8. patsox23

patsox23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 1 / -0

TEAMS HAVE BEEN PLAYING US PHYSICAL ALL YEAR.

Play physical.

Take away Randy Moss.

Don't let Brady step up in the pocket.

Keep the offense off the field.

Blah blah blah...

F you, NFL. 11-0. Keep trying, a-holes.
  9. BradyFTW!

BradyFTW! PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +119 / 4 / -1

#12 Jersey

Very good writeup? Hell no, this thread is as reactionary as it is idiotic. Look, the fact that some people are freaked out over a three point WIN is proof of how good the Pats are. Yeah, we can be exposed up the middle hwen our gameplan allows for it. It won't happen again. What really matters is that the worst case scenario pretty much happened, and the Pats still won. What does that tell you? God, some of the chicken littles on this board are seriously starting to get on my nerves. Would you guys even recognize the Pat Patriot logo if you saw it?
  10. patsox23

patsox23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 1 / -0

If you were a girl I'd kiss you.
  11. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +328 / 6 / -8

Snarf, I posted elsewhere that this reminded me of the SB win against the Rams, only from the other side - but not from a toughness/finesse standpoint. From the point of view of the Eagles assuming they would have to take the big chances, roll the dice, and get the bounces. Also, they DID exploit every weakness they saw, and they sussed them out on film beforehand. Reid did a great job, and they executed great.

But "soft"? Nah. You can't just call a team a "finesse" team because it becomes more talented than it was. We're 11-0... this will be a very interesting week (B-more...) I'll be at that one, so I am psyched that it's not just a supposed "gimme", even if it is an overwhelmingly likely win.

PFnV
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.