PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What QB Action(s) If Any Will the Pats Take?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Pats Will Take the Following QB Actions

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure I understand your plan. OK, we have Brady and Mallett for 2014.

Is your plan to sign a 6th or 7th rounder and count on him as our 2015 backup (could be a 4th or 5th if the player is right)?

Is your plan to pay $4M for a veteran backup next year, if the coaches can't work a miracle on the 6th rounder?

Is your plan to draft a draft choice next year (about how high) and hope that he beats out the 6th rounder that you have been training (and using up a roster spot for)?

Agreed. I think he would've kept a developmental QB on the practice squad last year if he were seriously considering trading Ryan Mallett.

I have a hard time imagining anyone but maybe Cassel and Hoyer (either of which is an option) stepping in and immediately being able to hold down the #2 position on a realistic scale, unless you assume that we'd just throw our hands in the air should Brady go down for 3-4-5 games, and obviously that's not how Bill Belichick handles business.

That all said, I wouldn't be remotely surprised if Belichick selected a QB in the 4th or 5th round if he felt the right guy was there.

Is your plan to sign a 6th or 7th rounder and count on him as our 2015 backup (could be a 4th or 5th if the player is right)?

Is your plan to pay $4M for a veteran backup next year, if the coaches can't work a miracle on the 6th rounder?

Is your plan to draft a draft choice next year (about how high) and hope that he beats out the 6th rounder that you have been training (and using up a roster spot for)?

My quote and thought was more along the lines of a mid rounder, than a late rounder as you're suggesting.

I could definitely see something in the 4th round or so, although in your defense I did include both 4th/5th. I think it would depend on whether or not we end up with that 5th round pick through any kind of trade up/down, along with whether or not we'd have an extra pick in the top 4 rounds. I'm not sure where you came up with 6th/7th from though?

The point is that there should still be some players worth picking in the 4th round or so at the position, as opposed to waiting for the 6th/7th round or UDFAs. That said, I am also expecting some kind of UDFA to be brought in as well. When all is said and done, I am expecting 3 QBs on our 53 man roster this year, but that's just my personal opinion of course--so who knows?

I think we'll need to keep 3 due to Mallett leaving at the end of the season. Once that happens, we could likely go back to 2 again if the "new" guy shows enough. There have been years past where that bar hasn't been set that high, like Mallett's 2nd year for example.

My quote and thought was more along the lines of a mid rounder, than a late rounder as you're suggesting.

I could definitely see something in the 4th round or so, although in your defense I did include both 4th/5th. I think it would depend on whether or not we end up with that 5th round pick through any kind of trade up/down, along with whether or not we'd have an extra pick in the top 4 rounds. I'm not sure where you came up with 6th/7th from though?

The point is that there should still be some players worth picking in the 4th round or so at the position, as opposed to waiting for the 6th/7th round or UDFAs. That said, I am also expecting some kind of UDFA to be brought in as well. When all is said and done, I am expecting 3 QBs on our 53 man roster this year, but that's just my personal opinion of course--so who knows?

I think we'll need to keep 3 due to Mallett leaving at the end of the season. Once that happens, we could likely go back to 2 again if the "new" guy shows enough. There have been years past where that bar hasn't been set that high, like Mallett's 2nd year for example.

In other words, the plan is simple. Draft a mid round pick at QB, with the 5th round being the cutoff.

I'm not sure where you are coming up with these thoughts of late rounders or vet backups that should be paid 4-5m dollars from reading my post, but obviously I don't think that's close to being realistic.

If Belichick chooses to bring in a late rounder or UDFA as a 4th arm, so be it, but the odds aren't good that he'd stay in my opinion, unless we somehow kept 3 on the 53 man roster AND a developmental QB on the practice squad somehow. Obviously, anything is possible, but I think we're almost forced to keep 3 on the 53 man roster this year due to Mallett leaving. I think we could choose to take a QB in the middle rounds that could end up acting as a backup for 2015 just fine.

Many of you fans don't think.

The Pats Cap space is about $7 million and they need $4-5 million for the rooks, PS, Injury reserves etc.

Plus for some unfathomable reason, y'all want to sign a vet third string DE and he will cost a million or two,

Now y'all want to trade Mallett and draft an obscure rook for developmental QB, You would also need to sign a qualified backup QB. The current going rate is about $4-5 million now.

The numbers don't fit. No where near close even,

PERIOD! End of Story.

Mallett is here for 2014, Get Over it . BB will bring in an UDFA or 2 for camp fodder; he always does,
Nothing like a crisp authoritative post that relies on incorrect information to lead up to its erroneous conclusion for late night entertainment.

NE needs about 2 million in cap space for the rookies, unless they trade way up into the first round. Miguel has posted this with links in about 3 different threads.

If they can trade Mallett for what they deem good value (I have no idea what that is) they have the cap room to bring in a lower tier back up.

Never understood how Mallett can be valued, Brady osmosis?? Have never seen him play a significant series never mind a complete game.

IMO the pats are looking for the next Brady, and will use mid to late round pick to find this college underachiever...

Supa, your post to me screams out the Pats drafting Aaron Murray in the 4th rd, and I 1,000% agree with you!

Use rds 1-3 to draft players that can either step in immediately and make some kind of impact, or draft for need. Then pull the trigger on Murray, a guy who was great in college, and would probably have been a second round pick if it wasn't for his injury. He can be groomed this season behind both Brady and Mallet.

Very rare when 4th rounder's step in and make an immediate impact anyways. Unless a player falls because of an injury concern (which is the case for Murray) or off the field issues (Hernandez) that part of the draft is players your projecting down the road in 3-4 years.

OK, I'm fine with Murray in the 4th. And just how are you going to make sure he lasts until when we pick in the 4th?

Supa, your post to me screams out the Pats drafting Aaron Murray in the 4th rd, and I 1,000% agree with you!

Use rds 1-3 to draft players that can either step in immediately and make some kind of impact, or draft for need. Then pull the trigger on Murray, a guy who was great in college, and would probably have been a second round pick if it wasn't for his injury. He can be groomed this season behind both Brady and Mallet.

Very rare when 4th rounder's step in and make an immediate impact anyways. Unless a player falls because of an injury concern (which is the case for Murray) or off the field issues (Hernandez) that part of the draft is players your projecting down the road in 3-4 years.

I apologize for misunderstanding. From this statement, I thought that you expected a later pick. I misread your intent.

"That all said, I wouldn't be remotely surprised if Belichick selected a QB in the 4th or 5th round if he felt the right guy was there."

Picking a quarterback in the 4th or 5th is a reasonable position. As you say, we would be expected to carry 3 quarterbacks, with Mallett as the 2014 backup.

The staff certainly has done its analysis of the quarterback class. If they think that there will be several potential starters (and solid backups) available when we pick, the Belichick will wait. If not, Belichick will get his man earlier in the draft, where there is definite talent.

The open question is whether the quarterback class is so good that Belichick would want to choose his player in the late 4th or 5th. As I indicated, the consequences of not getting a good enough player is spending $4M a year next year for a veteran, although a 1st or 2nd rounder is still a possibility next year.

In the end, many poster don't believe that the backup quarterback position is very important, or worthy of a significant draft. Some have similar beliefs with regard to DE and LB.

OK, I'm fine with Murray in the 4th. And just how are you going to make sure he lasts until when we pick in the 4th?

Just going from projections. I've seen Murray any where from the 3rd-5th rounds in mock drafts.

Although it's now grown common to expect Belichick to keep just 2 QBs on the roster, I can't help but wonder if considerations for the post-Brady era may one day soon lead to a repeat of 2000 when he carried 4 QBs

The fourth was a skinny unproven rookie 6th round draft pick who Belichick apparently saw enough promise in to not want to risk clearing waivers or on the practice squad.

Now maybe you'd say that Belichick wasn't sure about Bledsoe at the time - yet the next year he'd sign Bledsoe to a 10 year $103 million extension. Whatever the rationale, the rest is history.

I think this year is probably too soon to to consider 4 QBs on the roster, and of course, any of the QBs need to earn their spot. But in 2000 Belichick had his starter, his veteran backup, and two developmental QBs all on the active roster...

So keeping an extra developmental QB might come sooner than we think - but I still think we'll have just 3 - Brady, Mallett (or another veteran if someone actually will offer a draft pick) and a rookie - and likely another rookie QB on the practice squad

But one never knows

He'll move up after his pro day this week.

Just going from projections. I've seen Murray any where from the 3rd-5th rounds in mock drafts.

I'm thinking Mettenburger (kid from LSU, not sure if I spelled his name correctly) will be moving up from the initial projections as well.

Doh!

Not sure what I was thinking there....

As far as adding a veteran free agent QB like they have done in the past with Vinny Testaverde, Doug Flutie and Jim Miller, it's pretty slim pickings at this point.

• Josh Freeman
  • Kevin Kolb
  • Matt Flynn
  • Rex Grossman
  • David Garrard
  • Seneca Wallace
  • Brady Quinn
  • Jimmy Clausen

Flynn re-signed with the Packers.
Garrard's knees are toast.
I don't think that Charlie Weiss or Vince Lombardi could save Brady Quinn.
Kevin Kolb has earned more money over the past 3 years for being injured than any other player I can remember.
Jimmy Clausen? I think that Ian can through a football farther than he can..

I do not see them being able to trade Mallett straight up for any type of pick in the first 4-5 rounds. I am not sure where the rumors of Belichick turning down a second round pick for him came from but in my opinion, it seems unlikely that they would turn that down, and it seems even more unlikely that it will be the case this season.

I have thought of trade scenarios that could happen, and the only thing that could be remotely possible (in my mind) is something like Ryan Mallett and pick #62 to the Texans for pick #33. That type of trade would essentially be the value of pick #61 but it would allow the Texans to retain picks in all rounds.

I think your right but I would not be surprised to see Mallett just traded for another pick in preferably a early round.

Just reminiscing....
BlW_lHjCAAEJeNY.jpg

I voted 3rd round, but I can see 5-7th for back up to replace Mallet eventually or even big name if he drops to our late 2nd round pick if BB likes him.

I'm not sure I buy it, but there is a Rutgers connection

@TonyPauline: Patriots very high on Tom Savage/QB/Pittsburgh with some referring to him as "Tom #2"...more:

Tony Pauline

I'm not sure I buy it, but there is a Rutgers connection

Tony Pauline

I buy it, manx.
N.England and about 31 other teams in the NFL are getting pretty high on the thought of this kid. He's been rising like crazy. As a matter of fact, I don't know if anyone else is rising as drastically as he is, although you'd probably know better than me.

I buy it, manx.
N.England and about 31 other teams in the NFL are getting pretty high on the thought of this kid. He's been rising like crazy. As a matter of fact, I don't know if anyone else is rising as drastically as he is, although you'd probably know better than me.

He certainly has starter potential but I see a QB with not the greatest vision who can be baited by the secondary. fSU's Terrance Brooks had his wicked way with Savage when they squared up. But the potential is about as good as any QB in the draft so long as it's accepted that he'll need some time to learn the mental aspects of the position. He was invited to the draft by the NFL which suggests he's a day two guy at worst. How does that make you feel?

He certainly has starter potential but I see a QB with not the greatest vision who can be baited by the secondary. fSU's Terrance Brooks had his wicked way with Savage when they squared up. But the potential is about as good as any QB in the draft so long as it's accepted that he'll need some time to learn the mental aspects of the position. He was invited to the draft by the NFL which suggests he's a day two guy at worst. How does that make you feel?

As I said, you know much more about the specific prospects than I do, but I have certainly noticed that Tom Savage has been gaining a ton of attention and climbing up the board quite rapidly. I don't believe that many of us (if any of us) actually had him in the top 3 rounds prior to the past month or so. I've actually seen some experts suggest that he could go in the first round, believe it or not.

I hate to make comparisons to any of the current or past players when trying to assess a prospect's talent, but the way that you describe him seems to scream more cerebral traits than anything, and that can go an awful long way with the talent that he already seems to have (limited, but enough). In my opinion, decision making is even more important than raw talent, and I wonder if a guy like Savage may fit that description well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes