PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What QB Action(s) If Any Will the Pats Take?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Pats Will Take the Following QB Actions

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not see them being able to trade Mallett straight up for any type of pick in the first 4-5 rounds. I am not sure where the rumors of Belichick turning down a second round pick for him came from

I agree with you about the odds being rather low (IMO) about getting anything close as to what some suggest for Mallett, but I thought the rumors were that Belichick wanted a 2nd round pick for Mallett, not that he actually turned down a 2nd round pick.

Can't speak for anyone but me, but...

After 2008 I dont know how anyone can think TB is indestructible (especially after watching the opposing teams all believe that pass rush up the middle [also the OL weak spot] is TB's kryptonite.), and rather I think most understand that Mallet is UNDER CONTRACT for 2014-15 season. that IS the backup plan.

While this is a good point, it normally takes a full season for the backup to get our playbook, the routine, and all of the finer nuances of the system down, so the thought is that Belichick may be taking someone this year so that he can spend the 2014 season as an understudy.

The one time this didn't occur was with Kevin O'Connell (IIRC), but other than that Belichick wasn't as willing to roll the dice. It's also for this reasoning that I agree with you that we likely won't be trading Mallett.

I dont see BB trading Mallet.
-I dont think there is the interest.
-I dont think BB has showcased him in preseasons or in regular season mopup (and he DEFINITELY has almost 0 real-game time to show anything other than handoff ability (and 1 pick as I recall).)
- I dont think there is any value in trading him (he performs a role - studied knowledgeable backup - that you cant easily replace & they wont get much more value this year in a trade than they will eventually get in a compensation pick down the road.)

I agree with your general thinking here.

5 undrafted free agents signing with first NFL club
-- (Hoyer, Gutierrez, Cassel, Stafford, Applewhite)

Cassel was a seventh-round draft pick. If the Pats hadn't drafted him, he probably would have ended up signing with the Titans as an UDFA.

There was no option for cut/trade Tom Brady.:cool:

While this is a good point, it normally takes a full season for the backup to get our playbook, the routine, and all of the finer nuances of the system down, so the thought is that Belichick may be taking someone this year so that he can spend the 2014 season as an understudy.

The one time this didn't occur was with Kevin O'Connell (IIRC), but other than that Belichick wasn't as willing to roll the dice. It's also for this reasoning that I agree with you that we likely won't be trading Mallett.

Which is why I repeatedly said I expect them to pick up at least one 5-RD to UDFA QB (if not two-one draft/one UDFA) to compete-learn this year and hopefully park their butt on the Practice Squad (rather than on the 53) and then take over for Mallet when he becomes too expensive to keep.

I think Mallet would be (would have been) a good heir for TB, but unfortunately (luckily) TB is proving to be more durable than historical QB longevities would suggest. At the time they picked up Mallet, BB was playing the odds that TB would be going down-hill at this point in time. Instead he is aging like a fine wine rather than becoming vinegar like cheap MD20-20.

Which is why I repeatedly said I expect them to pick up at least one 5-RD to UDFA QB (if not two-one draft/one UDFA) to compete-learn this year and hopefully park their butt on the Practice Squad (rather than on the 53) and then take over for Mallet when he becomes too expensive to keep.

I think Mallet would be (would have been) a good heir for TB, but unfortunately (luckily) TB is proving to be more durable than historical QB longevities would suggest. At the time they picked up Mallet, BB was playing the odds that TB would be going down-hill at this point in time. Instead he is aging like a fine wine rather than becoming vinegar like cheap MD20-20.

I would expect with 21st century sports medicine (Dr Gill excepted) that QBs who do not run and get hit early and often would last a year or more longer than their NFL 20th century predecessors with arm strength being the limiting factor.

I didn't see "sign Vinnie Testaverde" as an option?

Irregardless of what happens with Mallet, I think the Pats will draft a QB in the later rounds.

I think that Mallet might be a draft day trade. If he is not, he still would have vaule if someone loses a starter in pre-season, and/or Mallet lights it up in pre-season.

I think the Pats will most likely go with 2 QBs again, due to the change in the collective bargaining agreement removing the "emergency 3rd QB" and replacing that game day spot with an extra player. I guess BB thinks (and you kind have to agree with him here) if you are down to your thrid QB, your pretty much screwed anyways, so why bother having one!

Hopefully whoever the draft (if they don't move Mallet) will be able to slide through waivers and onto the practice squad.

I guess BB thinks (and you kind have to agree with him here) if you are down to your thrid QB, your pretty much screwed anyways, so why bother having one!

I think under the current rules the 3rd QB would almost always be inactive on game day. But on the roster for developmental and practice reasons. For example, drafting Mallet's replacement this year and having one year of overlap, so you can cut Mallet loose at the end and have your backup from there on.

Cassel was a seventh-round draft pick. If the Pats hadn't drafted him, he probably would have ended up signing with the Titans as an UDFA.

Doh!

Not sure what I was thinking there....

As far as adding a veteran free agent QB like they have done in the past with Vinny Testaverde, Doug Flutie and Jim Miller, it's pretty slim pickings at this point.

• Josh Freeman
  • Kevin Kolb
  • Matt Flynn
  • Rex Grossman
  • David Garrard
  • Seneca Wallace
  • Brady Quinn
  • Jimmy Clausen

As far as adding a veteran free agent QB like they have done in the past with Vinny Testaverde, Doug Flutie and Jim Miller, it's pretty slim pickings at this point.

• Josh Freeman
  • Kevin Kolb
  • Matt Flynn
  • Rex Grossman
  • David Garrard
  • Seneca Wallace
  • Brady Quinn
  • Jimmy Clausen

Agreed. The draft may free up some vet QBs. June 1st victims.

I agree with you that the odds are good of seeing a late round/UDFA pickup, but then again--there's also a big difference in expected talent as well.

To be completely honest, I think we may look at the LSU or Georgia QBs, but that's obviously just my personal speculation. I think we could see 3 QBs this year due to the circumstances of having Mallett leave in 2015 + a new rookie QB in the draft next month.

I believe that we should face the obvious fact that we need a backup quarterback for 2015, and a starter whenever Brady is injured over the next four seasons (even if it is for only a few games in a season).

We also should recognize that Belichick has been spending a lot of time interviewing quarterbacks.

OPTION 1
We could put our heads firmly in the sand and put off the issue until next year. After all, we don't have a 2014 issue; Mallett is here for this season. Sure we could add an UDFA and put him on the Practice Squad and hope that we can develop this player for 2015.

OPTION 2
We could believe that our scouts and quarterback coaches are so good that we can draft a late round (5th-7th) quarterback that most don't see as a starter and develop him in a year to be our backup. If that doesn't work, we can blame our bad luck and try again next year.

OPTION 3
We could draft a quarterback that we expect to be capable of starting in the NFL. This would be a player of quality. This would mean using a draft pick in the first four rounds to draft a quarterback. 1/3 of us think that we will use a pick in the first four rounds. I am one of that 1/3. I would not be at all surprised with a 2nd round quarterback.
========

BOTTOM LINE
Last year, I was fine with using Option 2 and developing a quarterback for this year or next, with the possibility of drafting another this year for competition for the future backup spot. Belichick didn't do that. He didn't use the extra pick and roster spot last year. Well, IMHO, the piper now needs to be paid.

Personally, I think that guys like McCarron, Garrapolo, and Mettenberger will be long gone by the time we pick in the 3rd. When we draft a quarterback will certainly be an interesting aspect of the draft weekend.

You need to take calculated risks to win the SB. We have several key holes not filled by FA. We need players available in the early rounds to fill these holes. Reducing the odds of winning the SB by wasting a high-middle pick on a QB with a HOF QB's last years is pissing away a shot at a ring. Couple months ago many folks were advocating overspending for FAs in order to help win now with resultant couple down years as we would later be forced to cut good players for cap reasons. Now its draft a QB RIGHT NOW to groom as Brady's replacement. The team will be better off if we draft to fill the remaining 21 with quality players, taking calculated risk that 2015 won't have a quality QB backup via FA or whatever. If Brady is out in 2015 we don't win the SB that season anyway. The time to find a replacement is in Tom's last 2 years. Not now when we have a shot at drafting someone in the 1st 4 rounds who could contribute towards a ring this year or next. That person would not be a QB.

So, if Brady is out for four games next year, we will simply throw up our hands and say how unlucky we are. I understand the strategy. We have taken it in the past. The question is at what positions you are willing to take these risks. You would take for granted that Brady will be healthy, and give up if he is not. Others seem to be willing to take the same attitude at DE or LB or TE.

So, just will that Gronk will be healthy for 90% of the reps, and we don't need a top TE. Will that Ninko and Jones can play 95% of the reps and we don't need a top DE or mid-level veteran free agent. Will that our top 3 linebacker will stay healthy and we don't need a quality LB. And will that Brady will be healthy and we don't need a quality backup for 2015.

IMHO, we are in a position to choose where to take risks. We simply differ with regard to where we should take those risks. We also disagree with how much a particular draft choice can contribute this year or next, but that is another issue entirely.

You need to take calculated risks to win the SB. We have several key holes not filled by FA. We need players available in the early rounds to fill these holes. Reducing the odds of winning the SB by wasting a high-middle pick on a QB with a HOF QB's last years is pissing away a shot at a ring. Couple months ago many folks were advocating overspending for FAs in order to help win now with resultant couple down years as we would later be forced to cut good players for cap reasons. Now its draft a QB RIGHT NOW to groom as Brady's replacement. The team will be better off if we draft to fill the remaining 21 with quality players, taking calculated risk that 2015 won't have a quality QB backup via FA or whatever. If Brady is out in 2015 we don't win the SB that season anyway. The time to find a replacement is in Tom's last 2 years. Not now when we have a shot at drafting someone in the 1st 4 rounds who could contribute towards a ring this year or next. That person would not be a QB.

WIN NOW by signing more top free agents, even it meant a few down years was indeed suggested by some.

I think it wrong to compare this with using a 2nd or 3rd rounder on a QB instead of a 6th or 7th. Even if this 2nd or 3rd rounder were as valuable as you think to our 2014 and 2015 chances, you will likely simply be delaying the cost until 2015, when the team would be more desparate for a quarterback.

I think that a lot of us were mildly annoyed when they selected Mallett in the 3rd round in 2011 (I was not and advocated selecting a QB prior to the draft), and that seemed to work out fine with another 75 seconds away from victory in the SB vs the Giants.

Not that I'm meaning to downplay the opinions of those who want other priorities addressed. I'm just wondering if they could still select a mid round QB at the same time just as well, particularly if we add another pick somewhere?

Many of you fans don't think.

The Pats Cap space is about $7 million and they need $4-5 million for the rooks, PS, Injury reserves etc.

Plus for some unfathomable reason, y'all want to sign a vet third string DE and he will cost a million or two,

Now y'all want to trade Mallett and draft an obscure rook for developmental QB, You would also need to sign a qualified backup QB. The current going rate is about $4-5 million now.

The numbers don't fit. No where near close even,

PERIOD! End of Story.

Mallett is here for 2014, Get Over it . BB will bring in an UDFA or 2 for camp fodder; he always does,

Many of you fans don't think.

The Pats Cap space is about $7 million and they need $4-5 million for the rooks, PS, Injury reserves etc.

Plus for some unfathomable reason, y'all want to sign a vet third string DE and he will cost a million or two,

Now y'all want to trade Mallett and draft an obscure rook for developmental QB, You would also need to sign a qualified backup QB. The current going rate is about $4-5 million now.

The numbers don't fit. No where near close even,

PERIOD! End of Story.

Mallett is here for 2014, Get Over it . BB will bring in an UDFA or 2 for camp fodder; he always does,

Agreed. I think he would've kept a developmental QB on the practice squad last year if he were seriously considering trading Ryan Mallett.

I have a hard time imagining anyone but maybe Cassel and Hoyer (either of which is an option) stepping in and immediately being able to hold down the #2 position on a realistic scale, unless you assume that we'd just throw our hands in the air should Brady go down for 3-4-5 games, and obviously that's not how Bill Belichick handles business.

That all said, I wouldn't be remotely surprised if Belichick selected a QB in the 4th or 5th round if he felt the right guy was there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back