PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What QB Action(s) If Any Will the Pats Take?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Pats Will Take the Following QB Actions

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsWickedPissah

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
So many different QB faves from folks here & still despite moves by Houston et. al. the undead dream of trading The Hammah lives on.

My take is if the Pats draft a QB, it won't be a falling star in the early rounds but someone late. And I think they may well sign a UDFA QB. I don't see them signing a vet FA because I don't see them trading Mallet.

Time to go on record...

EDIT: Where I think I could go way wrong is if somehow someone they really like at QB slips into Round 3 again

I do not see them being able to trade Mallett straight up for any type of pick in the first 4-5 rounds. I am not sure where the rumors of Belichick turning down a second round pick for him came from but in my opinion, it seems unlikely that they would turn that down, and it seems even more unlikely that it will be the case this season.

I have thought of trade scenarios that could happen, and the only thing that could be remotely possible (in my mind) is something like Ryan Mallett and pick #62 to the Texans for pick #33. That type of trade would essentially be the value of pick #61 but it would allow the Texans to retain picks in all rounds.

I think they have too many needs (OL, DL, TE maybe S) to pick up a QB this year in the draft. But I always guess wrong so BB will probably pick one at #29 :)

I was kind of expecting some joke choices in the poll as well dealing with TFB.

I think we will add another QB. I voted for round 5-7, but if one of the top prospects fall, that could be wrong. If that is the case, I think we trade Mallett for whatever we can get.

After they trade Mallett for the texans 2nd round pick they will draft a QB in the mid rounds and bring in a vet back-up this summer.

You forgot "Sign a veteran back-up for camp fodder then cut him at the end of pre-season, going with (again) Brady and Mallett as our 2 QBs for the season."

That is my vote.

(This is after the big tease when AJ McCarron or some other intriguing prospect is still on the board when it is our turn to draft in the first round, only to hear those fateful words, "The New England Patriots have traded their first round pick to (insert perrenial loser here) for that team's picks next year in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.").

You forgot "Sign a veteran back-up for camp fodder then cut him at the end of pre-season, going with (again) Brady and Mallett as our 2 QBs for the season."

That is my vote.

(This is after the big tease when AJ McCarron or some other intriguing prospect is still on the board when it is our turn to draft in the first round, only to hear those fateful words, "The New England Patriots have traded their first round pick to (insert perrenial loser here) for that team's picks next year in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.").
You'd really want to spend a 1st round pick though? For a team so close to going to the super bowl that'd be tough to stomach.

i think the Pats:
- draft a QB in 5-7
- ALSO pick up a UDFA
- let them compete in camp for the #3 slot

Then it is 50/50 as to whether the #3 QB is kept on the final 53 or they try to push him through to the PS for the year. But I firmly see them keeping 3 QBs in some capacity this year to prep for the Mallet transition to a new backup.

I can understand the thought of (could see them) taking a 1Rd-quality guy who falls to round 3 as an opportunity buy, like someone else suggested. But I just dont think that is terribly likely to happen. Too many teams are always looking for QBs (and I am not sure who BB thinks is a "1Rd-quality" guy.

There will be somebody added so that there is a third quarterback in training camp, but my guess is that is somebody who was previously signed and released by another team.

Since 2002:
6 draft picks
-- (Mallett, Robinson, O'Connell, Cassel, Kingsbury, Davey)

6 veterans with starting experience
-- (Tebow, Walter, Testaverde, Flutie, Redman, Miller)

5 veterans with NFL experience as backups
-- (Kafka, Ratliff, Rowe, O'Sullivan, Kittner)

4 players from other clubs, but with no NFL experience
-- (Teel, Hartline, Crompton, Greene)

4 undrafted free agents signing with first NFL club
-- (Hoyer, Gutierrez, Stafford, Applewhite)

2013:
Mike Kafka [vet FA] (1/24-6/10)
Thread Killer [vet FA] (6/11-8/31)

2012:
Brian Hoyer re-signed as RFA (3/23-8/31)
Mike Hartline [UDFA] (1/12-5/15)

2011:
Jonathan Crompton (1/17-8/02)
Ryan Mallett drafted in 3rd round, 74th overall

2010:
Zac Robinson drafted 7th round, 250th overall (cut 9/04)
Jonathan Crompton [rookie FA] (PS 11/2-end of year)
Brett Ratliff (PS 10/07; signed by Browns 10/11)
Mike Teel (5/21-6/11)
Jeff Rowe (1/12-5/21)

2009:
Jeff Rowe (PS 12/09-end of year)
Andrew Walter [vet FA] (8/03-9/04)
Kevin O'Connell cut (2008-8/30)
Matt Guttierez (cut 8/03)
Brian Hoyer [UDFA signed] (4/30-2012)
Matt Cassel (franchised, traded)

2008:
Kevin O'Connell drafted in 3rd round, 94th overall
Matt Guttierez (cut 8/31; PS 9/10-end of season)

2007:
David Greene (PS 9/19-11/20)
Vinny Testaverde (8/18-9/02)
Matt Gutierrez (4/30-2009)

2006:
Vinny Testaverde (11/14-end of season)
J.T. O'Sullivan (PS -10/02)

2005:
Rohan Davey cut (8/30)
Doug Flutie (4/30-end of season)
Matt Cassel drafted in 7th round, 230th overall (2005-09)
Chris Redman (1/07-6/02)

2004:
Jim Miller (9/04-end of season)
Kliff Kingsbury cut (2003-9/04)
Jim Miller (7/21-9/01)
Kurt Kittner (7/16-8/07)

2003:
Kliff Kingsbury drafted in 6th round, 201st overall (IR 8/26)
Shane Stafford (1/08-6/12)

2002:
Rohan Davey drafted in 4th round, 117th overall (cut 2005)
Major Applewhite (4/22-5/31)

Last edited:
You'd really want to spend a 1st round pick though? For a team so close to going to the super bowl that'd be tough to stomach.

Oh, no, I would not want them to do that, but that will be the hype that we all tune in for, and it will be a letdown again (although it becomes less of one as the years go by, LOL). I guess I should have said "any round" of the draft, rather than just the first round...

I think that post posters make two assumptions. They think that Brady is indestructible and backups really don't matter much. They believe that we should sign a 6th rounder and expect him to the backup and future starter (after all that worked out once before).

I don't understand not drafting a developmental quarterback last year to see if he could be a backup this year or next. At this point, Belichick's back is to the wall. He had to hope the whoever he drafts is our 2015 backup or he will looking around at veterans and ddraftees next year, and will add a player with no experience with the team.

IMHO, Belichick is looking to draft our 2015 backup now, and is willing to use a top draft pick to do so. How much much we get for Mallett is a side issue. He could stay for 2014 and we could get a 2016 comp pick, or we could trade him before or after this draft. We think that Belichick is playing mind game, using so much time on top quarterbacks. I simply don't believe it. This is the year to get a quarterback and Belichick is evaluating all options.

Personally, I think that Belichick will draft a quarterback in the first three rounds of this draft.
I think that Manziel or Bridgewater will be jumped on if they are there (we would even trade up a bit). The second pick may be the sweet spot. I could see us go all offense in the first three picks: TE, QB and OL (with a safety in round 4).

To be blunt, a backup franchise QB in the first would add more to the stability and success of the franchise than a backup TE or DE.

I think that post [sic] posters make two assumptions. They think that Brady is indestructible and backups really don't matter much. They believe that we should sign a 6th rounder and expect him to the backup and future starter (after all that worked out once before).

I don't understand not drafting a developmental quarterback last year to see if he could be a backup this year or next. At this point, Belichick's back is to the wall. He had to hope the whoever he drafts is our 2015 backup or he will looking around at veterans and ddraftees next year, and will add a player with no experience with the team.

IMHO, Belichick is looking to draft our 2015 backup now, and is willing to use a top draft pick to do so. How much much we get for Mallett is a side issue. He could stay for 2014 and we could get a 2016 comp pick, or we could trade him before or after this draft. We think that Belichick is playing mind game, using so much time on top quarterbacks. I simply don't believe it. This is the year to get a quarterback and Belichick is evaluating all options.

Personally, I think that Belichick will draft a quarterback in the first three rounds of this draft.
I think that Manziel or Bridgewater will be jumped on if they are there (we would even trade up a bit). The second pick may be the sweet spot. I could see us go all offense in the first three picks: TE, QB and OL (with a safety in round 4).

To be blunt, a backup franchise QB in the first would add more to the stability and success of the franchise than a backup TE or DE.

Can't speak for anyone but me, but...

After 2008 I dont know how anyone can think TB is indestructible (especially after watching the opposing teams all believe that pass rush up the middle [also the OL weak spot] is TB's kryptonite.), and rather I think most understand that Mallet is UNDER CONTRACT for 2014-15 season. that IS the backup plan.

and for ME, a late round pick is NOT a plan for an eventual starter, but rather a plan for an eventual (2015-16) BACKUP.
I would agree on using a 1 RD pick to get that future starter (or preferably someone who would compete with a vet FA-pickup to be a future starter) , BUT NOT THIS YEAR.

I dont see BB trading Mallet.
-I dont think there is the interest.
-I dont think BB has showcased him in preseasons or in regular season mopup (and he DEFINITELY has almost 0 real-game time to show anything other than handoff ability (and 1 pick as I recall).)
- I dont think there is any value in trading him (he performs a role - studied knowledgeable backup - that you cant easily replace & they wont get much more value this year in a trade than they will eventually get in a compensation pick down the road.)

Did I miss the "no action taken" answer?

Round 5-7 as an insurance policy and they won't trade Mallett. Unfortunately for Patsfans, he has no stock.

I don't see Mallet being traded. They need someone who knows the system and can hit the broad side of a barn (which excludes Tebow) to run the 2nd offense when Brady is there, and the 1st while Brady rests.

They need another QB for camp, plus Mallet will want his shot next year and good veterans cost money. So they need a solid backup-in-training. That's why I think they bring in a mid-round (3-4, though possibly as high as 2 if someone slips). Lastly, it's time to start fledging the next starter. The Man will be 37. How long do you wait?

Given that the draft is a crap shoot, it's time to take some shots at the next starter.

I had to actually check "fledging" to make sure...nice....can't say I've ever seen fledging incorporated into a message board post before...and it's spot on.

I spent far too much time indulging myself in the Patriots last summer yet I remain defiant in my indulgence. I can honestly say I saw Mallet up close for hundreds of throws in preseason. He has a grasp of the Patriots offense. He's got a strong arm. He can throw the short routes as well as the seams and deep ins and sidelines. What I consider his main flaw RIGHT NOW is the time, or the possessions, it takes for him to settle down, to slow the game down. He looks like he's rushed and uncertain in the preseason games, for a possession or two and then, he settles in and demonstrates a solid grasp of the offense.

Having seen Cassel and followed HIM almost as much, my opinion is Mallet is superior at this point in his career. I would take that bet that Mallet could take over the offense and run it effectively if Brady gets dinged up.

The fantasy ADHD cripples want to throw Mallet away and draft a Johnny Foozball because he's the latest fantasy gaa gaa lollipop to come along. Crapcan Mallet and draft a me first, 5 foot eleven inch, chest thumping ,untested and ill educated in the Pats offense media magnet. I'll take the odds against.

I get it. You think that the draft is about the 2014-2015 season. So, players chosen in this draft should be judged on how they are likely to contribute this year.

I don't share your view. For the most part, this draft is about the future. Of course, we expect to get contributions from some of the rookies, but that is NOT the driving force of the draft.

So, I agree with you Mallett is signed through the 2014-2015 season. For me, that means we need to develop a quarterback for the 2015-2016 season.

Can't speak for anyone but me, but...

After 2008 I dont know how anyone can think TB is indestructible (especially after watching the opposing teams all believe that pass rush up the middle [also the OL weak spot] is TB's kryptonite.), and rather I think most understand that Mallet is UNDER CONTRACT for 2014-15 season. that IS the backup plan.

and for ME, a late round pick is NOT a plan for an eventual starter, but rather a plan for an eventual (2015-16) BACKUP.
I would agree on using a 1 RD pick to get that future starter (or preferably someone who would compete with a vet FA-pickup to be a future starter) , BUT NOT THIS YEAR.

I dont see BB trading Mallet.
-I dont think there is the interest.
-I dont think BB has showcased him in preseasons or in regular season mopup (and he DEFINITELY has almost 0 real-game time to show anything other than handoff ability (and 1 pick as I recall).)
- I dont think there is any value in trading him (he performs a role - studied knowledgeable backup - that you cant easily replace & they wont get much more value this year in a trade than they will eventually get in a compensation pick down the road.)

Round 5-7 as an insurance policy and they won't trade Mallett. Unfortunately for Patsfans, he has no stock.

This. Mallett won't be traded. He is worth much more - even for just one year - than what they could get via trade.

So many different QB faves from folks here & still despite moves by Houston et. al. the undead dream of trading The Hammah lives on.

My take is if the Pats draft a QB, it won't be a falling star in the early rounds but someone late. And I think they may well sign a UDFA QB. I don't see them signing a vet FA because I don't see them trading Mallet.

Time to go on record...

EDIT: Where I think I could go way wrong is if somehow someone they really like at QB slips into Round 3 again

Great poll/question

There's a few factors at play here.

#1 - We know that in seasons when thoughts of a future QB were not even the slightest concern (aside from fear of injury to Brady) Belichick has been willing to twice use a third round pick.

#2 - Belichick as a student of the game knows that starting QBs can be found all over the draft board - it's often a matter of finding one who has the unteachable skills (leadership, hard work, field vision, quick decision maker, physical attributes) who still has the drive to improve on the other traits (mechanics, footwork, strength and conditioning etc.)

#3 - Belichick as a student of the game, knows that ideally college QBs need some time to adjust to the NFL and thus knows the benefit of having a QB on the roster sooner rather than later

So I think we can safely say that if Belichick sees a QB that fits the above profile, he'll use a 3rd at the very least, given what is probably a desire to allow a rookie to develop o the roster.

My prediction is actually that Belichick will take someone in the 3rd or 4th round AND will pick one or two UFAs as camp fodder as well.

And if one or more than one pans out, I could see him trading Mallett for something towards the end of camp (for a team that needs a promising backup) but not until he's got a good idea of what he's got behind Brady

I had to actually check "fledging" to make sure...nice....can't say I've ever seen fledging incorporated into a message board post before...and it's spot on.
Thank you. I need to use obscure words to distract from my lack of understanding.

Agree with your thoughts on Mallet as well. If the worst happens, in a football sense, he'll be okay under fire.

Edit: I think Coach keeps 3 QBs on the roster this year. From the poll, I suspect that's what most folks are thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back