PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What postions are Heavy this draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolinatony

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Seems like we may get a top ten pick this year so the question is what position is top heavy this coming draft?
I would go Defense and get a stud rather than offense.
Lets kick up the D another notch.
What do you think?

QB is really deep this year. Four or five players may go in the first round. Ryan, Brohm, Woodson, Henne, Brennan all deserve first round consideration. Booty, maybe, too.

Lot of good linemen, too, both sides of the ball.

Good DBs, a few at the top of the draft, but way more impressive in terms of depth... good talent should easily last into the 3rd round. We'll need at least one. I like Mike Jenkins USF (would have been great at #32...bummer).

Seem to be fewer elite skill position players being talked about this coming season.

LB, RB, TE look thin this year, even if Maualuga declares. Which is too bad, because we'd be interested in those positions.

I think this draft class is going to be a good, deep one. Hope the Niners keep losing.

QB is really deep this year. Four or five players may go in the first round. Ryan, Brohm, Woodson, Henne, Brennan all deserve first round consideration. Booty, maybe, too.

Lot of good linemen, too, both sides of the ball.

Good DBs, a few at the top of the draft, but way more impressive in terms of depth... good talent should easily last into the 3rd round. We'll need at least one. I like Mike Jenkins USF (would have been great at #32...bummer).

Seem to be fewer elite skill position players being talked about this coming season.

LB, RB, TE look thin this year, even if Maualuga declares. Which is too bad, because we'd be interested in those positions.

I think this draft class is going to be a good, deep one. Hope the Niners keep losing.

I wouldn't consider QB THAT deep, don't get me wrong, there are some good players, but if you ask none of these quarterbacks are real polished. I've had a chance to watch Brohm, Woodson, Ryan and Brennan more than once this year and I've seen flaws in each of their games.

I'd rank them like this:

1. Brohm can be very erratic and he makes terrible decisions in pressure situations. I would say he's the best QB in the draft though.

2. Ryan has played poorly in consecutive games but his 4th quarter skills remind me a little of Tom Brady. He has the perfect NFL QB body but needs some work in mechanics.

3. Woodson's pocket mobility is horrible. Chances are the team that takes him will have a questionable OL and you have to protect him for him to be effective. He does have one of the quickest snap releases I've ever seen though. When the pocket breaks, the play is automatically over.

4. Brennan benefits from an juggernaut offensive system but is still a pretty good quarterback. Hell of an arm but his decision making is questionable at best. He could break Bret Favre's INT record if he plays long enough.

This QB class isn't any deeper than last year's IMO. The reason you saw John Beck, Kevin Kolb and Trent Edwards slip so low was because the middle of the first round was chalked full of teams in no need of QBs.

As for lineman, the best player in the draft is LSU DT Glenn Dorsey. The second he is drafted he joins the ranks of Jamaal Williams, Pat and Kevin Williams, Marcus Stroud and Vince Wilfork as top DTs.

Running back is fairly deep IMO. McFadden, Slaton, Hart, Stewart, Choice and Mendenhall all deserve 1st round consideration.

Wide receiver is VERY thin. Outside of Desean Jackson I don't see a lot of talent at WR. Early Doucet is a bit over rated IMO and there are a lot of Steve Smith wannabes.

Should be a very deep and exciting draft, already can't wait for it.

What about LB's?
Any can't miss ones. We all know we need a good YOUNG LB for the future.

Jake Long is heavy; I'd love to put him at LT, move Light to RT and have Kaczur as a swing backup. I know we need LB and probably CB, depending on Samuel, Gay and FA but I'd love to get Long.

Wide receiver is VERY thin. Outside of Desean Jackson I don't see a lot of talent at WR. Early Doucet is a bit over rated IMO and there are a lot of Steve Smith wannabes.
Limas Sweed.

What about LB's?
Any can't miss ones. We all know we need a good YOUNG LB for the future.

Yes. This linebacking class is a great one. Keith Rivers, James Lauranitis and Dan Connor are all outstanding players.

Rivers is a Ray Lewis type of player, straight play maker. Lauranitis plays like A.J. Hawk (same school) and Dan Connor just gets to the ball carrier and when he does they know because he hits HARD!

These guys should be first rounders.

Limas Sweed.

Indeed, Limas Sweed is a stud. Someone I have my eye on in the 2nd round for Miami. Of course, we need to draft defense with every pick but if for some reason we go WR, I want Sweed because he'd be a great compliment to Ginn.

Rivers is purely an OLB.

The USC MLB, Rey Maulauanga could project as a beast in our system. He has the size to take on OG's and the speed to cover as well as the tackling and instincts.

I wouldn't consider QB THAT deep, don't get me wrong, there are some good players, but if you ask none of these quarterbacks are real polished. I've had a chance to watch Brohm, Woodson, Ryan and Brennan more than once this year and I've seen flaws in each of their games.

I'd rank them like this:

1. Brohm can be very erratic and he makes terrible decisions in pressure situations. I would say he's the best QB in the draft though.

2. Ryan has played poorly in consecutive games but his 4th quarter skills remind me a little of Tom Brady. He has the perfect NFL QB body but needs some work in mechanics.

3. Woodson's pocket mobility is horrible. Chances are the team that takes him will have a questionable OL and you have to protect him for him to be effective. He does have one of the quickest snap releases I've ever seen though. When the pocket breaks, the play is automatically over.

4. Brennan benefits from an juggernaut offensive system but is still a pretty good quarterback. Hell of an arm but his decision making is questionable at best. He could break Bret Favre's INT record if he plays long enough.

This QB class isn't any deeper than last year's IMO. The reason you saw John Beck, Kevin Kolb and Trent Edwards slip so low was because the middle of the first round was chalked full of teams in no need of QBs.

As for lineman, the best player in the draft is LSU DT Glenn Dorsey. The second he is drafted he joins the ranks of Jamaal Williams, Pat and Kevin Williams, Marcus Stroud and Vince Wilfork as top DTs.

Running back is fairly deep IMO. McFadden, Slaton, Hart, Stewart, Choice and Mendenhall all deserve 1st round consideration.

Should be a very deep and exciting draft, already can't wait for it.

Actually..theres plenty good WRs

Jackson
Doucet
Sweed(out for season though.)
Hardy(a 6"7 WR..with 4.5..rumored 4.4 Speed!")
Bowman
DJ Hall
Malcom Kelly
Burton
Douglass
big WRs mostly..

quiet a few good CBs aswell

Cason
Chevis Jackson
Mike Jenkins
Malcom Jenkins
Tribble
Castille
Reggie Smith(S/CB..could be the best CB in the class though)
King(injuries..not playing so well)
Godfrey

out of those..5-6 could be first rounders..

the best are both the Jenkins and Smith

Godfrey is a big CB..intriguing. Very good from Iowa. Tribble is a small CB..loves to hit..not the fastest or biggest but hes a very good CB..from our very own..BC.

RB class is VERY deep if most declare
McFadden
Felix Jones
Jonathan Stewart
Jamal Charles
Patrick
Hart
Rice
Forsett
Choice
Mendenhall
Slaton
Bernard
Davis

all these guys could be top 2 rounders..its insane.

Last edited:
Actually..theres plenty good WRs

Jackson
Doucet
Sweed(out for season though.)
Hardy(a 6"7 WR..with 4.5..rumored 4.4 Speed!")
Bowman
DJ Hall
Malcom Kelly
Burton
Douglass
big WRs mostly..

quiet a few good CBs aswell

Cason
Chevis Jackson
Mike Jenkins
Malcom Jenkins
Tribble
Castille
Reggie Smith(S/CB..could be the best CB in the class though)
King(injuries..not playing so well)
Godfrey

out of those..5-6 could be first rounders..

the best are both the Jenkins and Smith

Godfrey is a big CB..intriguing. Very good from Iowa. Tribble is a small CB..loves to hit..not the fastest or biggest but hes a very good CB..from our very own..BC.

RB class is VERY deep if most declare
McFadden
Felix Jones
Jonathan Stewart
Jamal Charles
Patrick
Hart
Rice
Forsett
Choice
Mendenhall
Slaton
Bernard
Davis

all these guys could be top 2 rounders..its insane.

Yeah this going to be a very deep draft. As for WRs, I just haven't seen anyone really stand out all that much. Outside of Desean Jackson I don't hear about a receiver each and every week.

And yeah, rnning back is INSANELY deep.

Yeah this going to be a very deep draft. As for WRs, I just haven't seen anyone really stand out all that much. Outside of Desean Jackson I don't hear about a receiver each and every week.

And yeah, rnning back is INSANELY deep.

you should hear more about WRs..Jackson is not all that impressive so far as the hype leads you to belive. Hardy is great. 6"7...13 TDs this year and over 800 yards

add to fact that he will run between a 4.4 and a 4.5

yeah. nuts. and hes got one of those 40 inch verticals ...he plays basketball for Indiana aswell i think

So is he related to Calvin Johnson then?

I saw Indiana play a couple of weeks ago and Hardy was very impressive on the outside. His size is really a problem for most DB's and that will continue into the NFL. For that game he showed incredible hands.
On the other side, his route running was weak. His blocking non existant and he ran across the middle like a 5'7" player instead of a 6'7" player. I didn't see 4.5 speed from him, more like 4.7 speed.
But if he does run a 4.5 and he develops a little toughness and heart, someone could be getting a tremendous player.

I saw Indiana play a couple of weeks ago and Hardy was very impressive on the outside. His size is really a problem for most DB's and that will continue into the NFL. For that game he showed incredible hands.
On the other side, his route running was weak. His blocking non existant and he ran across the middle like a 5'7" player instead of a 6'7" player. I didn't see 4.5 speed from him, more like 4.7 speed.
But if he does run a 4.5 and he develops a little toughness and heart, someone could be getting a tremendous player.

well a guy that talll will never look very fast. Calvin Johnson doesnt look like a 4.3 or even a 4.4 guy. Moss doesnt seem that fast on TV either imo..long legs..big body. its different from what u see compared to if u were next to him

you should hear more about WRs..Jackson is not all that impressive so far as the hype leads you to belive. Hardy is great. 6"7...13 TDs this year and over 800 yards

Yeah my brother was telling me about that Hardy kid from Indiana. 6'7''? Jeeze, that's just nuts.

Yeah my brother was telling me about that Hardy kid from Indiana. 6'7''? Jeeze, that's just nuts.

add to fact that he will run between a 4.4 and a 4.5

yeah. nuts. and hes got one of those 40 inch verticals ...he plays basketball for Indiana aswell i think

I love hearing that. Since the Pats look to have a very high pick and no "must have" player, perhaps we'll have the opportunity to make two "Brady Quinn" trades and REALLY score with this draft! :rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes