PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What position do the Jets draft now in light of signings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just happy to know that they won't be drafting Gholston. I kinda hope the Pats keep their pick and use it to take him.

JETs will probably trade and if they have their choice they will trade to someone who wants Gholston services just to keep him out of PATs hands.:mad:

Do they trade down?

Do they make a run at Matt Ryan and try to get their franchise QB?

Or do they take a risk on McFadden?
My best guess is either the Dolphins or the Falcons will select Matt Ryan, quarterback from Boston College. Since the Jets have allocated big money to outside linebackers in Calvin Pace and Bryan Thomas, I sincerely doubt the Jets will select a linebacker with the number sixth pick overall. Either the Jets draft McFadden with their sixth pick or trade down with the Cowboys.

JETs will probably trade and if they have their choice they will trade to someone who wants Gholston services just to keep him out of PATs hands.:mad:

I'd be willing to bet we dont draft Gholston.
A its not a high area of need, since we already have Vrabel and Thomas
B we have gone into drafts with less at OLB and not drafted one in round 1, or 2, or....
C I'm abig Buckeye fan, and liked gholston a lot as a Buck, but I definitely do not envision him as our kind of 3-4 OLB. His best skills are not a great match for our system. He is better as a 1 gap player than a 2 gap player, ie, he is best shooting a gap and beating a play than he is at the point of attack. I also do not see the LB skills there. I think he is by far best suited as a 43 DE. He will probably be a good one, but he needs to be in a system that tells him to do whatever he needs to to go get the QB, and not worry about the run game or holding up at the point of attack.

My best guess is either the Dolphins or the Falcons will select Matt Ryan, quarterback from Boston College. Since the Jets have allocated big money to outside linebackers in Calvin Pace and Bryan Thomas, I sincerely doubt the Jets will select a linebacker with the number sixth pick overall. Either the Jets draft McFadden with their sixth pick or trade down with the Cowboys.

Ryan could fall to them. Really he should fall to them, and beyond. If I were an NFL GM, I'd have Ryan slotted in the teens, and would not change that just because there is no QB good enough to take in the top 5, so I take the best that is there and reach.
There have been a ton of top 10 QBs who have busted, and Ryan seems more like one of the busts than one of the sure things to me.
He would be a good fit for a competitive team with an aging QB, but for a bad team to take him at the top of the draft, IMO, would seal his fate, and that fate wouldnt be good,.

C I'm abig Buckeye fan, and liked gholston a lot as a Buck, but I definitely do not envision him as our kind of 3-4 OLB. His best skills are not a great match for our system. He is better as a 1 gap player than a 2 gap player, ie, he is best shooting a gap and beating a play than he is at the point of attack. I also do not see the LB skills there. I think he is by far best suited as a 43 DE. He will probably be a good one, but he needs to be in a system that tells him to do whatever he needs to to go get the QB, and not worry about the run game or holding up at the point of attack.
My best guess is the Patriots will trade down as many times it takes to get into the twenties while collecting additional draft picks along the way. After that, the Patriots will "carpet bomb" the cornerback position in the 2008 NFL Draft starting with Antoine Cason.

I'd be willing to bet we dont draft Gholston. A. its not a high area of need, since we already have Vrabel and Thomas

If Ghoulston is the best available, the Pats will draft him. I don't think the Pats should reach just because CB is a need. You will regret in the long run. There are still 6 more rounds to find a cornerback. I also think their blowing smoke right focusing on CB's because of the departure of Asante Samuel. We will probably hear that the Pats are loving one of the DB's and then go in a completely different direction during the draft. Smart teams do not tip their hand on who they really want. Remember, the Pats never talked to Vince Wilfork but drafted him anyways. And to counter your assesment of LB's not being a need, I think it is. Why? Because Vrabel and Thomas are both in their 30's. The Pats need more pass rushers to help out the secondary. You can sign/draft the best corners and they will only be as effective as your pass rush.

B. we have gone into drafts with less at OLB and not drafted one in round 1, or 2, or....

I'm not sure about that one. As far as I remember, they like to sign their veteran LB's before the draft. Sometimes in June. But your right about the Pats never drafting LB's, which they probably regret.

The problem with the DE's this year's draft is that their extremely light. Groves, Ghoulston, Harvey and Marcus Howard are just some that are projected at outside LB because of their size. I'm not sure how Ghoulston projects at OLB but I'm sure many teams that are thinking about taking him, plan to use him at OLB. The Pats need to get more athletic on defense and Ghoulston can certainly help. So if you don't like Ghoulston, what DE/OLB fits the Patriots better? I would take any of the guys I listed above.

Now to answer the author of the post. The recent signing of Calvin Pace is very significant because I don't think the Jets are going to want to tie more money on outside LB's. Smart teams spread the money around each position. By this I mean; investing top dollar on one WR, OL, DL, LB, CB, S and most importantly, QB. With that said, the Jets recent splurge in FA means they can go into a lot of different directions. They can trade up for Matt Ryan (unlikely), see if he drops (I don't think Ryan is worthy of a top pick. Nor do I think he is that great, looks like the next Alex Smith) or maybe a DL (but this would contradict what I wrote above because of the Kris Jenkins signing). But the recent moves means they are in a prime position to select Darren McFadden if he drops to them at #6. Unless the Cowboys or any other teams offeres them a trade they can't refuse, I think the Jets need McFadden.

Last edited:
the jets will take mcfadden if he falls to them, thats who they are eyeing right now...

they fixed the O-line, they expect a running game next year...

they will keep their young QB one more year with a run game, to see how he does, and evaluate him after the season...

but thomas is obviously not the answer, so its Mcfadden

the jets will take mcfadden if he falls to them, thats who they are eyeing right now...

they fixed the O-line, they expect a running game next year...

they will keep their young QB one more year with a run game, to see how he does, and evaluate him after the season...

but thomas is obviously not the answer, so its Mcfadden

===================================
I have no Idea what the Jets will do at #6.

Thomas had 1,119 yards rushing behind a horrible O-line last year, and 2 TDs.:eek:

I think they either trade back, or pick BPA, so it depends on how they rate Long, Ellis, McFadden, etc. Probaly similar to how the Pats would rate them.:)

Last edited:
I have no Idea what the Jets will do at #6.

Thomas had 1300 yards rushing behid a horrible O-line last year, and 2 TDs.:eek:

I think they either trade back, or pick BPA, so it depends on how they rate Long, Ellis, McFadden, etc. Probaly similar to how the Pats would rate them.:)

thomas really have 1300 yds

thats pretty good then......

hmm, maybe they go another route....how old is thomas

thomas really have 1300 yds

thats pretty good then......

hmm, maybe they go another route....how old is thomas

I think he is 29, maybe 30, hard to believe about the 1300 yards.

And then there is Leon Washington, who is more of a situational change of pace, Kr, play making little guy.

And the Jets are working out Jesse Chatham this week (Dolphins).

Edit: Thomas Jones Rushed for only 1,119 yards in 2007

Last edited:
Tip...wassamaddawitchu?...you KNOW you have to ADD the Rat fan factor of 15% to any real stat to get the real "Rat stat".

That's how I found out Pennington had a rocket arm...

A its not a high area of need, since we already have Vrabel and Thomas
B we have gone into drafts with less at OLB and not drafted one in round 1, or 2, or....

You would'nt see Thomas or Vrabel inside?
Given Gholston's physical stature, you don't think he could learn to take on guards etc.?
From what I hear, he has a good blend of strength and athleticism.
Which would mean versatility I would hope.

C I'm abig Buckeye fan, and liked gholston a lot as a Buck, but I definitely do not envision him as our kind of 3-4 OLB.

I'm not sure the existing rules still apply. Obviously Belichick isn't going to flush decades of scheme development down the crapper. But maybe it can be tweaked a little to allow for a guy like Gholston to succeed.

I just want to know who is the JetsQB going to be??? both Pennington and Clemmens are question marks at best.. I dont know about the Jets offseason

1 Pace- too much money
2 Jenkins- is he motivated
3 Woody- has not been the same since he left the pats
4 Faneca- 31 yrs old, good, but not great.. Rothelsburgher was sacked alot , and no wonder why they gave big ben a raise, since he will be on the ground alot..

Too many questions for me.. They still could draft a lb, and could get mcfadden, which I dont think we want..

I just want to know who is the JetsQB going to be??? both Pennington and Clemmens are question marks at best.. I dont know about the Jets offseason

1 Pace- too much money
2 Jenkins- is he motivated
3 Woody- has not been the same since he left the pats
4 Faneca- 31 yrs old, good, but not great.. Rothelsburgher was sacked alot , and no wonder why they gave big ben a raise, since he will be on the ground alot..

Too many questions for me.. They still could draft a lb, and could get mcfadden, which I dont think we want..

It's probably unfair to say Fancea was the reason Big Ben fell over a lot. For a guard, I would look more at Willie Parkers success with Fancea in front of him.

As far as the Jets, they will probably end up taking Mcfadden. It would get the Jets fans to open up their wallets again. Though I would have to hear it from all my Jet friends talking about their new oline+mcfadden all offseason.

You would'nt see Thomas or Vrabel inside?
Given Gholston's physical stature, you don't think he could learn to take on guards etc.?
From what I hear, he has a good blend of strength and athleticism.
Which would mean versatility I would hope.

No, I want to leave Vrabel and Thomas outside.
I don't think you 'teach' a guy to take on blockers. He knows how to, it is just not his best skill. I don't think you draft a guy that high who is best used as a 43 DE, who is a one gap player, who is not his strongest taking on blockers at the point of attack, and try to turn him into what he is not.
Would you draft Dwight Freeney at #7 and try to convert him into an OLB?

If Ghoulston is the best available, the Pats will draft him. I don't think the Pats should reach just because CB is a need. You will regret in the long run. There are still 6 more rounds to find a cornerback. I also think their blowing smoke right focusing on CB's because of the departure of Asante Samuel. We will probably hear that the Pats are loving one of the DB's and then go in a completely different direction during the draft. Smart teams do not tip their hand on who they really want. Remember, the Pats never talked to Vince Wilfork but drafted him anyways. And to counter your assesment of LB's not being a need, I think it is. Why? Because Vrabel and Thomas are both in their 30's. The Pats need more pass rushers to help out the secondary. You can sign/draft the best corners and they will only be as effective as your pass rush.

I'm not sure about that one. As far as I remember, they like to sign their veteran LB's before the draft. Sometimes in June. But your right about the Pats never drafting LB's, which they probably regret.

The problem with the DE's this year's draft is that their extremely light. Groves, Ghoulston, Harvey and Marcus Howard are just some that are projected at outside LB because of their size. I'm not sure how Ghoulston projects at OLB but I'm sure many teams that are thinking about taking him, plan to use him at OLB. The Pats need to get more athletic on defense and Ghoulston can certainly help. So if you don't like Ghoulston, what DE/OLB fits the Patriots better? I would take any of the guys I listed above.

Now to answer the author of the post. The recent signing of Calvin Pace is very significant because I don't think the Jets are going to want to tie more money on outside LB's. Smart teams spread the money around each position. By this I mean; investing top dollar on one WR, OL, DL, LB, CB, S and most importantly, QB. With that said, the Jets recent splurge in FA means they can go into a lot of different directions. They can trade up for Matt Ryan (unlikely), see if he drops (I don't think Ryan is worthy of a top pick. Nor do I think he is that great, looks like the next Alex Smith) or maybe a DL (but this would contradict what I wrote above because of the Kris Jenkins signing). But the recent moves means they are in a prime position to select Darren McFadden if he drops to them at #6. Unless the Cowboys or any other teams offeres them a trade they can't refuse, I think the Jets need McFadden.

You do not need to draft the best player available if he does not fit your need. And he needs to be the BPA for YOUR SYSTEM, which Gholston is not. If corner is, and it is, the primary need, there is a spot within the first round where you get a corner as BPA. It may not be #7, and if thats the case, you trade down. It never makes sense to trade down for a specific player, but where there is a grouping of players that you like, you have a fallback if the guy you want is gone.
For example BB could trade down from 7 to somewhere around 15-20, if he believes the corners he like are likely to still be on the board. He will not do that if he feels the value of the draft board drops off significantly at 14.
There will be a targetted group of players and they will play many different positions.
The #7 is easy. If there are 7 players BB loves, we keep it. If there are not, and the ones he wants are gone, we trade down, and go to where the value is, that is mainitaining value in th e1st rounder plus picking up the value of the additional pick(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back