PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What Player Cut By Other Teams Would You Add To The Pats 53?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see to be the only one interested in Josh Bynes, but from what I can tell, he's Dane Fletcher 2.0 - a high motor, high work ethic kid who can play serviceably as a starter and excel on special teams. The comments I've seen from Ravens' fans are generally quite down about his loss. Some examples:

I'm baffled by this move... Bynes looked solid in preseason as he should... plus he has experience starting... I know Art has made hella strides this year... but not enough for me to feel comfortable enough to let Bynes go ...

Wow! Surprised at Bynes' release. Next Man Up faith in CJ Mosely and A. Brown manningthe middle and in Orr's ST potential. With Bynes' experience and youthfulness he shouldn't be out of work long! Good luck to his football future!

You've got to be kidding me. Instead of the obvious choice, cutting someone totally expendable like Aiken or or Orr, we cut Bynes, one of the hardest working, most loyal Ravens of the last few years, who is not only a great, veteran ST player, but also happens to have proven himself as a quality backup ILB. They had better find a way to add him back to the roster, and soon, because I'm sorry, there is no way Orr should stay on the team over him.

I don't know what they're doing anymore. Bynes was a solid player who could start on defense and play ST. He had experience, and he played well. But they're gonna cut him and keep Orr, a guy who's name you never even heard called during pre-season, and a 7th WR who you will never need or use. This team has a lot of young, unproven guys. By New will get picked up by someone. I wish him luck, because I liked him.

Man, Bynes was great. Mclellen isn't any where near as good as him in defense or special teams, and Orr didn't make any relatively big plays during preseason. This is a bad move.

Ravens Waive Josh Bynes, Bring Back Derek Cox | BaltimoreRavens.com

Pats reportedly worked out 9 players today:

TE Weslye Saunders one of 9 players New England Patriots bringing in - espnBoston

Included in the list were former Colts TE Weslye Saunders (6'5" 261#), former Chicago FB/H-Back and OTG super-binky Evan Rodriguez (6'1" 239#, 4.53 40, 36" VJ, 6.94 3C), and former New Orleans DE/OLB Martez Wilson (6'4" 260#, 4.42 40, 36" VJ, 7.04 3C). Wilson was someone I had mentioned as a possibility on another thread and someone who the Pats showed interest in prior to the 2011 draft, though he's been a chronic under-achiever.

I saw that blog entry too. I'm glad to see that Bill is at least thinking about adding a LB. I'm still hoping that Mister Anderson is re-signed after week 1. A backup group of Fleming, Anderson &
Josh Bynes would be about as good as we could expect.

Next on Bill's to-do list should be OLmen. Reid Fragel, recently waived by Cleveland, could be a
promising Swing Tackle project. Edit: looks like he's now on Indy's PS.

I saw that blog entry too. I'm glad to see that Bill is at least thinking about adding a LB. I'm still hoping that Mister Anderson is re-signed after week 1. A backup group of Fleming, Anderson &
Josh Bynes would be about as good as we could expect.

Next on Bill's to-do list should be OLmen. Reid Fragel, recently waived by Cleveland, could be a
promising Swing Tackle project. Edit: looks like he's now on Indy's PS.

Too bad about Fragel. I was high on him as a swing tackle coming out in 2013.

I'm not sure I want 6 LBs on the roster, but I'd agree otherwise. I hope the Pats put a waiver claim in on Bynes, though I'm not optimistic that he'll last that far on the waiver wire. Anderson coming back after week 1 is a definite possibility. Martez Wilson is more in the Darius Fleming mold and has intriguing athleticism, but I'm not sure he'll ever put it together. But at least BB is churning the back end, as usual. Hopefully some cream will float to the top.

I'm not sure that Bynes would be a significant improvement over White on special teams. That is where White will play, even with an injury or two.

I agree that Bynes wouldn't be an improvement over White on STs. But he is a vast improvement in LB depth while being a capable STer, so he fills 2 roles to White's 1. Obviously, BB didn't think the difference was enough to put in a waiver claim.

Chris White's nothing special, including his ST play. If anyone shows close to similar ST play and
is a superior defensive player (not really hard to do), then Bill should claim/sign the guy immediately
and send White & his ilk packing.

Chris White's nothing special, including his ST play. If anyone shows close to similar ST play and
is a superior defensive player (not really hard to do), then Bill should claim/sign the guy immediately
and send White & his ilk packing.
That sounds nice. However, Belichick had the opportunity to do just what you said. As is noted above, he passed on Bynes.

Last edited:
That sounds nice. However, Belichick had the opportunity to do just what you said. As is note above, he passed on Bynes.

I'm not targeting any particular players or posters on this, but your point of disagreement is a good place to start, IMO....

Every year, people here pimp the bottom of the Patriots roster. Almost every year, reality tells us a much different tale. Patriots depth is usually just a little bit better than other teams, meaning a couple of players, and it's not enough extra players to fill a 53 deep team, or even a 46 man squad.

That sounds nice. However, Belichick had the opportunity to do just what you said. As is noted above, he passed on Bynes.

There could be a number of reasons for that. Obviously, BB could just prefer White, or value his ST play highly. Alternatively, in the middle of a week of preparation for the season opener, he could prefer to go with a player who knows the system and has been on the roster for a year over a player that he might like more, but who wouldn't have much time to prepare - it's even possible that the Ravens waited a few days before bringing back Derek Cox just to decrease the likelihood of a team picking up Bynes off the waiver wire. It's not out of the realm of possibility (though by no means likely) that BB could pick up a guy like Bynes off the PS after this week. Regardless, I think that we'll see a constant week-to-week shuffling of the bottom of the roster.

I'm not targeting any particular players or posters on this, but your point of disagreement is a good place to start, IMO....

Every year, people here pimp the bottom of the Patriots roster. Almost every year, reality tells us a much different tale. Patriots depth is usually just a little bit better than other teams, meaning a couple of players, and it's not enough extra players to fill a 53 deep team, or even a 46 man squad.

Along a similar vein, I'd thought that about 3 Pats cut might get scooped up right away on waivers.
Boyce, Dax & I forget a couple others.
Reality was 0.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back