PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What Patriots player would you like to see on the sidelines coaching once retired?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
What player either currently on the roster or already gone from the team would you like to see come back to the Patriots as a coach,Whether it be Head Coach,Assistant Coach,Quarterbacks Coach,Offensive Coordinator,Wide Recievers coach,Defensive Coordinator,Defensive Backs Coach,Linebackers coach,Special Teams Coach or any other coaching position I missed......

My selection will be probably one of few if any ..

I would love to see Larry Izzo as Special Teams coach shortly after he retires,Larry has put so much in the game for the Patriots and for along time and is one of those unsung heroes noone talks about..
He regularly lays big hits on kickoff returners and takes punishment in return,also due to the fact that he accepts his role on this team for so long as just a Special Teams player because he Rarily ever plays regular defense,makes him more special as he probably could have gone elsewhere even for a bit more defense play even though he is not the greatest at it ,but on special teams we will feel the loss when Izzo retires which is expected within the next year or two,thats my choice.

How About you?

Re: What Patriots player would you like to see on the sidelines coaching once retired

Troy Brown. Wr's coach. That's a given.
T Bruschi. LB's coach,although I don't think he's ever mentioned ever wanting to do something like it.
Rodney Harrison. Starts out as a DB coach but I can see him being a defensive coordinator someday. Definately has the mindset imo as long as one of those personalities that command respect.

Re: What Patriots player would you like to see on the sidelines coaching once retired

I'd like to see Troy Brown be our ST, DB and WR coach all at the same time.

Vrabel will be a coach.. At what level, not sure..

Troy Brown. Wr's coach. That's a given.
T Bruschi. LB's coach,although I don't think he's ever mentioned ever wanting to do something like it.
Rodney Harrison. Starts out as a DB coach but I can see him being a defensive coordinator someday. Definately has the mindset imo as long as one of those personalities that command respect.

:ditto:

ten characters

I'd like to see Brown as a WR coach and Harrison as a DB coach.

Last edited:

Would like to see Troy in the FO with Andre Tippett, on the field Vrabel or Harrison would be interesting additions. Not sure if the money would ever be ok, these guys are making big bucks, how much does a position coach make? Not nearly as much and many long hours, lot of guys verbalize the need of spending more time with their families.

Rodney Harrison. He's a great motivational player right now, he'd be outstanding as a coach in any aspect.

I agree with all,and would add Tom Brady to the list.

I'd like to see Harrison as the DB coach or maybe D-Coordinator. Him or Bruschi.

I agree with all,and would add Tom Brady to the list.

Tsk tsk, you know Tommy Boy is going to be senator one day.

That doesn't preclude him from being on my wish list.

Vrabel will be a coach.. At what level, not sure..

Yes, and Vrabel has expressed interest in coaching in the future, but he has also said he would love to go back and coach at Ohio State.

I think Don Davis is selling himself short if he is only shooting to be a strength and conditioning coach. I'd like to see him get more involved in the positional coaching positions.

The Christian right may not like his out of wedlock child. But then again, look what other Politicians have done.

One thing to consider is the work hours. As much as I love football and the Patriots, the work schedule is brutal. Read Pepper Johnson's book for an indication of the coaching work week where a day starts before 7AM and ends at 11PM. No weekends off either.
Pioli was making FA calls to the agents for A Thomas et. al. in the early post midnight hours.
I wonder how many players who retire with net worths of many millions would decide to spend 7 days a week on the job and not see their kids often for a few hundred K per year? I wouldn't.

Last edited:

I can't disagree with any of the names mentioned, especially Izzo, Rodney and Brown.

Beyond that, it seems to me that locker room leadership and on field ability don't necessarily translate into being a good coach, just like being a good student or student body president don't translate into being a good teacher.

so, it must be a real challenge to recognize the guys who can make that transition and it's why coaches like BB are so successful. they instinctively recognize who can make the transition and know where to place their bets.

Vrabel definitely, and how about Richard Seymour? He took a leadership role on the team VERY early in his career, he's intelligent and well spoken, and I'd have to say I don't think anyone would be late for a meeting knowing Big Sey is the one running it.

This might sound silly but I would love to see Drew Bledsoe come back as a QB coach.......all the QBs that replaced him have stated that Drew was a big contributor in their success...I honestly feel like he has the makings of a great QB coach.

Harrison, Bruschi or Vrabel would be ideal candidates..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes