Welcome to PatsFans.com

What Patriots player would you like to see on the sidelines coaching once retired?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by PATRIOT64, Mar 28, 2007.

1. PATRIOT64

PATRIOT64 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

What player either currently on the roster or already gone from the team would you like to see come back to the Patriots as a coach,Whether it be Head Coach,Assistant Coach,Quarterbacks Coach,Offensive Coordinator,Wide Recievers coach,Defensive Coordinator,Defensive Backs Coach,Linebackers coach,Special Teams Coach or any other coaching position I missed......

My selection will be probably one of few if any ..

I would love to see Larry Izzo as Special Teams coach shortly after he retires,Larry has put so much in the game for the Patriots and for along time and is one of those unsung heroes noone talks about..
    He regularly lays big hits on kickoff returners and takes punishment in return,also due to the fact that he accepts his role on this team for so long as just a Special Teams player because he Rarily ever plays regular defense,makes him more special as he probably could have gone elsewhere even for a bit more defense play even though he is not the greatest at it ,but on special teams we will feel the loss when Izzo retires which is expected within the next year or two,thats my choice.

How About you?
  2. Patriot Missile

Patriot Missile Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#75 Jersey
    Re: What Patriots player would you like to see on the sidelines coaching once retired

Troy Brown. Wr's coach. That's a given.
    T Bruschi. LB's coach,although I don't think he's ever mentioned ever wanting to do something like it.
    Rodney Harrison. Starts out as a DB coach but I can see him being a defensive coordinator someday. Definately has the mindset imo as long as one of those personalities that command respect.
  3. TomBradyWoot

TomBradyWoot Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Re: What Patriots player would you like to see on the sidelines coaching once retired

I'd like to see Troy Brown be our ST, DB and WR coach all at the same time.
  4. mcsully

mcsully Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Vrabel will be a coach.. At what level, not sure..
  5. smg93

smg93 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

:ditto:

ten characters
  6. Mix

Mix Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey

I'd like to see Brown as a WR coach and Harrison as a DB coach.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Would like to see Troy in the FO with Andre Tippett, on the field Vrabel or Harrison would be interesting additions. Not sure if the money would ever be ok, these guys are making big bucks, how much does a position coach make? Not nearly as much and many long hours, lot of guys verbalize the need of spending more time with their families.
  8. thesmee1

thesmee1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Rodney Harrison. He's a great motivational player right now, he'd be outstanding as a coach in any aspect.
  9. PatsMyBoyz!

PatsMyBoyz! Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I agree with all,and would add Tom Brady to the list.
  10. Underoath

Underoath Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I'd like to see Harrison as the DB coach or maybe D-Coordinator. Him or Bruschi.
  11. Boston Jay

Boston Jay Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Tsk tsk, you know Tommy Boy is going to be senator one day.
  12. PatsMyBoyz!

PatsMyBoyz! Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

That doesn't preclude him from being on my wish list.
  13. cloud34

cloud34 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Yes, and Vrabel has expressed interest in coaching in the future, but he has also said he would love to go back and coach at Ohio State.
  14. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I think Don Davis is selling himself short if he is only shooting to be a strength and conditioning coach. I'd like to see him get more involved in the positional coaching positions.
  15. old 55

old 55 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

#87 Jersey

The Christian right may not like his out of wedlock child. But then again, look what other Politicians have done.
  16. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#37 Jersey

One thing to consider is the work hours. As much as I love football and the Patriots, the work schedule is brutal. Read Pepper Johnson's book for an indication of the coaching work week where a day starts before 7AM and ends at 11PM. No weekends off either.
    Pioli was making FA calls to the agents for A Thomas et. al. in the early post midnight hours.
    I wonder how many players who retire with net worths of many millions would decide to spend 7 days a week on the job and not see their kids often for a few hundred K per year? I wouldn't.
  17. PatsFanSince74

PatsFanSince74 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

I can't disagree with any of the names mentioned, especially Izzo, Rodney and Brown.

Beyond that, it seems to me that locker room leadership and on field ability don't necessarily translate into being a good coach, just like being a good student or student body president don't translate into being a good teacher.

so, it must be a real challenge to recognize the guys who can make that transition and it's why coaches like BB are so successful. they instinctively recognize who can make the transition and know where to place their bets.
  18. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Vrabel definitely, and how about Richard Seymour? He took a leadership role on the team VERY early in his career, he's intelligent and well spoken, and I'd have to say I don't think anyone would be late for a meeting knowing Big Sey is the one running it.
  19. theONLYJerseypatsfan

theONLYJerseypatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

This might sound silly but I would love to see Drew Bledsoe come back as a QB coach.......all the QBs that replaced him have stated that Drew was a big contributor in their success...I honestly feel like he has the makings of a great QB coach.
  20. Sean Pa Patriot

Sean Pa Patriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#12 Jersey

Harrison, Bruschi or Vrabel would be ideal candidates..
  21. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

He's my top vote, and maybe my only. Being an NFL coach isn't just about character, leadership, or even football knowledge and intelligence. It's about wanting to live that life -- sleeping at the stadium on Tuesday nights as you finalize the game plan, watching film of college prospects in the offseason, etc. There are plenty of guys who live for the game as players but just wouldn't take the same enjoyment when you take them off the field and out of the locker room. It's no knock on them at all, just two totally different jobs. Not every great actor wants to write a screenplay either.

I'd love to see some of those guys try coaching at the high school level, though. That's where your commitment and charisma can make all the difference, not just on the field but in the players' lives.
  22. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#37 Jersey

You CANNOT be serious.
    Drew has shown a complete inability and unwillingness to learn the game and to make adjustments and improvements in his own game. An unwillingness to work offseason to add to his capabilities, Byrd or Brady style. Why that misbehaviour would make the slacker a good coach is a mystery to any thinking fan.
  23. goalkeepr

goalkeepr PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#95 Jersey

I thought Brady was on the left anyway?
  24. AzPatsFan

AzPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

OTIS; Don Davis; Vrabel for starters...
  25. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

Rodney Harrison - DB coach -> possible DC?
    He's smart and he's used to quarterbacking a defense. He knows exactly what's going on out there and why. He also calls adjustments to the D on the fly ingame. He is also a leader of men and is probably exactly the type of personality that could stay on rooks and get the most out of them. A very good candidate for a coaching position imo once he retires.

Troy Brown - WR or ST Coach
    Troy Brown is Mr. Versatility, he's done it all, WR, ST, even DB and is a model Patriot. Would like to see him stick around somehow as he is just a role model for what needs to be done for the better sake of the team. BTW Troy Brown does not need to tell us that he is a classy individual for us to realize that he already is one. :D

Tedy Bruschi - LB coach
    I just like this guy a lot. He is a great example of overcoming adversity. A comeback player of the year after recovering from his stroke. A big presence in the community. And most of all a tough guy who has shown loyalty to the organization over the years by taking less to stay here. There are not a lot of guys you could say the same things for as you can for Bruschi. Hope he stays with the team in some capacity but even if he hangs em up and never tries his hand at coaching he will be remembered as a true Patriot.
  26. Fencer

Fencer Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Vrabel has seemingly been studying to be a coach all his life, and is poised to be a GREAT one some day IMO. The Globe has actually been reporting his quite a bit.

Troy for years has been the guy other receivers go to to learn technique, or even the guy Ty Law went to to practice technique the other way around. I think he'd be a great position coach.

Basically, we're just posting here naming the team captains. And rightly so. I don't think there's anything too profound to add.
  27. brady199

brady199 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Brady is defenitley on the RIGHT.

You think he likes the tax bracket he finds himself in or the ma state income tax?

And he was At the GOP.
  28. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +58 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

For some reason, I don't see Troy Brown as a coach. It takes more to be a coach then playing ability and versatility. I guess I always looked at him more as a lead by example type of guy rather than more of a vocal leader like Brady, Vrabel, Harrison, or Bruschi.

I think both Bruschi and Vrabel are proably mst suited. They are both smart. If you have ever seen either one of them break down a play on TV, the clearly are clearly smarter than your average defensive player. Both have the ability to rally the team. I think they command authority.

As for Harrison, he has said repeatedly that he wants to be a ref. Now way he can ever be a ref if has been on the coaching staff of a league or college conference he coached on.
  29. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#50 Jersey

Mike Vrabel as a D-line Coach or LB Coach.
  30. skaIownsIyou

skaIownsIyou Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

if you can bring back former pats....then

drew bledsoe for qb coach lol....no question there eh?

and harrison as a defensive coordinator...since he's a SS, he knows nearly all the positions, DB obviously, and he knows when you need to go into the box and be that 8th man....because of his skills, he has the know-how of covering the best WR's and jumping in on a rushing play.....

qb's exploit the defensive, well...harrison exploits the offense

bruschi and vrabel...no question there....they're true linebackers imo- LB these days tend to have more speed, at least coaches look for side line to side line guys...bruschi and vrabel are not really that fast, but yet, are able to deflect passes and make the open field tackle no doubt...what they lack in speed, they compensate for their instinctive play...

let bruschi or vrabel coach a guy with speed....no question that the lb core would be #1 year in and year out