PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What other cap savings can the Pats find?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pats extended Mayo and Wilfork each for less than 10 mil/season. I don't see any chance of the team blowing up its salary structure for a defensive free agent.

I guess I'm wondering if Welker even sniffs 9 mil per year on the open market. From some team by team cap numbers I've seen posted on his board, the Pats seem to be in better shape than most teams capwise The free agent wide receiver class seems awfully deep and teams like then there are teams like the Steelers who might have a hard time keeping a restricted free agent like Wallace. So given the depth of the market and the cap space of other teams is it realistic to think that the Pats could sign Welker for a 4 year contract in the 7 to 7.5 million range? That should leave them with the room to bring in Loyd if they wanted.

For Mario Williams I was trying to base it off the DeMarcus Ware contract (allowing for inflation and taking into account injury history etc.)

Something like 7 years $80million, with $35million guaranteed and $21mil Signing Bonus.

A very simply breakdown would be something like this:
(first 3 years fully guaranteed, 4th year $2.1mil guaranteed)

Base Salary - Prorated Bonus - Roster Bonus - Cap Value
2012 - 3,000,000 - 3,000,000 - 0 - 6,000,000
2013 - 3,900,000 - 3,000,000 - 0 - 6,900,000
2014 - 5,000,000 - 3,000,000 - 3,000,000 - 11,000,000
2015 - 6,500,000 - 3,000,000 - 1,000,000 - 10,500,000
2016 - 8,450,000 - 3,000,000 - 1,000,000 - 12,450,000
2017 - 10,950,000 - 3,000,000 - 1,000,000 - 14,950,000
2018 - 14,250,000 - 3,000,000 - 1,000,000 - 18,250,000
(sorry for the formatting)

Big roster bonus in 2014 for the expected rise in salary cap. And while its a 7 year deal, its highly unlikely he would actually play out that 7th year. If my understanding is correct it would be a 15,250,000 cap saving if he was cut or he could be restructured.

Welker I had at a 4 year $30million contract with $14mil guaranteed and $6mil Signing Bonus. I'm not going to put the full breakdown, but I had him around $5.5million cap value for year 1. He was one of the toughest to predict because there really isn't any comparables for this contract. I think this is probably a hometown discount considering his value, but he is more valuable to the Pats than anywhere else.

Brandon Lloyd I had around a 3 year $15million contract with $5mil guaranteed, $3mil Signing Bonus (first year fully guaranteed). 1st year cap hit of $3.5 million. This was based of the Ocho Cinco contract he signed last year to come here (3yr $11.5). Lloyd may be worth more, but its a very strong FA WR class, and he takes a discout to play for JMD.

Adrian Wilson is the one I can't really get any idea of a contract if he is cut. Would he comand big money at age 32? Would he take a discout to come to a contender? Who knows, I really don't have a clue here.

With the other guys that are FA for the Pats. I think Slater will come back cheap. I think Andre Carter could come back cheap on a non guaranteed contract. Love will be back and I don't see BJGE getting big money anywhere else, so I think he will be back at a reasonable price. The biggest question mark would probably be Anderson and the kind of money he would command. Being a vet, I think he can appreciate the Patriots organisation and I think he might stay. Branch retires or signs elsewhere.

With my picks for the mock draft, I worked out the total salaries for those picks from last year, which totaled about $33 million, all over 4 year contracts. Taking into account escalating contracts, thats probably about a $5-6 cap value for the 1st year.

So adding that all up, thats about $20.5 for Super Mario, Welker, Lloyd and the draft for the 1st year, leaving about $12 for Wilson, BJGE, Carter etc. Probably a pipe dream, but if they can maybe restructure a few contracts its definitely possible.

If this scenario somehow, SOMEHOW, played out...........................wow. I would just be......soooo.....happy.....wow....:singing:

Do you really think BB would spend big $$$ for Mario?

Lloyd and Avril would be nice....even just Colston.....:rocker:

I think mario will be too expensive. I would like to see b lloyd or wayne at wr(not to expensive), Laron landry SS, grimes finnegan,carr, rodgers or webb at CB. I think lloyd or wayne will want around 4 to 6 million, landry around 6 to 8 mil, and those corners around 6 to 10 Mil. it should be around 18 million to get 3 of those guys. we can cut ocho and maybe some other people to resign welker.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back