PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What on earth was Seau thinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snarf

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Celebrating in the middle of an interception return???

I don't know but from one angle they showed the defender was about a foot away from slapping the ball out Tyrone Poole style. How embarrassing would that have been.

Last edited:
Don't know what his thought process was there...I'm sure BB will be on him all week and that won't happen again...

Well Seau says:

What was that football move you made during your interception?
“I’m definitely going to have to look that up. I don’t remember; it’s what happens naturally. It was a fun time and obviously I’m going to get reprimanded. I know that’s coming. It was a great win for us.”

What were you thinking on that interception return?
“That normally doesn’t happen. It’s untapped territory for me, to tell you the truth. I’ll handle it better [in the future]. I really will. It is what it is. I’ll take the punishment. Obviously, I’m going to get a lot of kick back from the players, come tomorrow and probably for the whole week. I didn’t look too good on that one.”

Did you think about making a lateral?
“Yeah, but Coach wouldn’t have liked that. I didn’t want to have two whammy’s in one play. I took the one negative and went from there.”

* He doesn't even know why he did it -:)

It looked like he momentarily regressed to his childhood and was playing airplane. I wonder if he was going vrrroooooooommmmm.....

One of the unintended positive consequences of having nosebleed seats is the advantage of being able to see the field from a bird's eye view.

From our high vantage point from the corner of the stadium (maybe it wasn't evident on TV) there was defender coming up right in front of him and it looked like it may have been an awkward ball-hand fake. It did look dorky and uncoordinated, but I don't think he was celebrating - - I think it was a fake/juke move by someone who doesn't do that very often.

I followed him after the play via binoculars and there definitely was a LONG conversation between him and Belichick over there on the sideline.

I wonder what Dion is gonna say on the NFLN.

It's actually kind of tough to run with the football if you haven't handled it in a while. You don't really know where to stash it. As Seau said, that was pretty much his first ever interception return.

It's actually kind of tough to run with the football if you haven't handled it in a while. You don't really know where to stash it. As Seau said, that was pretty much his first ever interception return.

Yeah but, he held it straight out like he thought he was in the endzone or something.

another quote
With the celebration on your return, will Bill Belichick have any trouble cooking up some humble pie?
“Oh no. He has a lot of material to pick from. He isn’t waiting until Monday. When we’re walking off the field, he came to whisper in my ear. Seriously. He’s amazing. It’s definitely something that we’ll always be humble. It’s the culture here. There is a culture here and the Patriotic way is to have faith in the system. That’s exactly what we do.”

I don't know, I can understand him not knowing how to run with the ball perfectly, but he's been in the league for 18 years and he's handled a lot of runs on turnovers. I would think he would have some idea how to run with it, and not carry the ball like a loaf of bread. The only thing I could think of was that he wa strying to signal guys where to block on the return, but the defender was like a yard away from him.

I don't want to get down on the guy but this combined with the sack dance, and what used to be his propensity to pad tackle stats, it just makes me think Seau is Samoan for "showboating."

I don't know, I can understand him not knowing how to run with the ball perfectly, but he's been in the league for 18 years and he's handled a lot of runs on turnovers. I would think he would have some idea how to run with it, and not carry the ball like a loaf of bread. The only thing I could think of was that he wa strying to signal guys where to block on the return, but the defender was like a yard away from him.

I don't want to get down on the guy but this combined with the sack dance, and what used to be his propensity to pad tackle stats, it just makes me think Seau is Samoan for "showboating."

Maybe it's a San Diego thing.

Yeah, I was about to note this, too--despite the foolishness of it, BB didn't seem all that upset...of course, he'd never say so in public, but he was fairly glowing about Seau throughout the PC.

Brady seemed as if he had something else on his mind during his, though. Not reading anything into it, but he certainly seemed a bit curt, and distant, considering they won.

Meh, I dislike psychologizing after games...

Maybe he thought the move would make the defenders shrivel up in fear and let him walk by without touching him.

It works in nature -- a bear stands up, a pea**** spreads its feathers, a dog barks, a lion shows its teeth, all to get potential threats to back off without a fight.

Maybe Seau tried to hold out his arms to make him appear to be bigger than he really is.

Maybe he thought the move would make the defenders shrivel up in fear and let him walk by without touching him.

It works in nature -- a bear stands up, a pea**** spreads its feathers, a dog barks, a lion shows its teeth, all to get potential threats to back off without a fight.

Maybe Seau tried to hold out his arms to make him appear to be bigger than he really is.

:wha:

Also love how you can't type peacawck.

I think he got excited and was thinking there was a chance at the end zone and he did a funky weird celebration thing that even he can't explain.

This stuff is so valuable it's not even funny. I can count a few mistakes the team has made in the last few weeks that are in the category of learning experiences that you do once, get your talking to, and don't ever do it again. While most other teams except the Colts and Cowboys have been playing games on the razor's edge where one mistake can mean the difference between winning and losing, we're playing games where we can overcome mistakes.

You'd much rather have Seau doing that and realizing never to do it again in game 5 than in game 18. We've had a couple of these.

It did look dorky and uncoordinated, but I don't think he was celebrating - - I think it was a fake/juke move by someone who doesn't do that very often.

Good try, Shmess. I was closer to the field than you. Seau definitely was showboating. The stupid thing about it was if he had kept his head, he could have gained more yards on the return.

Last edited:
I thought he was getting ready to do the crane thing from Karate Kid.
I don't think even Mr. Miyagi would have been proud of that one though. :eek:

Maybe we should start calling him Senior Seau?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes