PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What Officiating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
warpaint said:
Wow simply put... Some of the worst officiating ive ever seen for a playoff game!.. Im not a pats fan but i'll tell you right now that that was one of the worst officiating games ive ever seen! This game was way to big to be officiated the way it was!. I would say that 14 of the 27 pts the donkeys had scored were given to them by biased officiating! Still, with everything that happened during this game the pats were in it till the end.. I take my hat off to them. That team has heart! You cant win it every year.. Good luck next year!

GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!

14 points were given to us by the refs.....HAHAHA if you say so....im assuming the first 7 was for the PI, but I can't figure out the 2nd one....

MyFav said:
The pats played hard and never gave up and they have my respect. But to the fans that keep say it's the refs and stuff come on.
First game it was the injuries now it is the refs. Do the Pats ever lose just because they got out played?
Go Broncos!!!

No offense man, but okay, you guys capitalized on turnovers, your defence made big stops and you got a solid win. But to say you outplayed us is just plain biased. No real football fan would say that.

What is with this 14 baloney? I count 20:

+7 :: Bogus Asante Samuel pass interference call. Should have been a non-call, or offensive, which would have basically ended that possesssion for Denver.
+10 :: Touchback out of the end zone. Look at where Bailey's left leading foot is when the ball leaves his hand. Then look at the trajectory of the ball. It is pretty clear that the ball passed inside of the pylon. (This is really a 10 point swing, since the Ptas are deep in the Denver red zone so at least lose out on a FG, maybe a TD).
+3 :: False start non-call on the long Elam FG that barely cleared the crossbar.

More high points of officiating misbehavior:

- Rampant holding of Wilfork, Seymour, McGinest, and Colvin all game.
- Davis pass interference mugging.
- Obvious Asante Samuel interception which BB had to use a review to get corrected.

Yes, turnovers lost the game. But bad officiating put the Pats in situations where they were forced to play with higher risk. I also think that the Pats offensive coordination in this game was maybe the worst all season, contrinuting directly to the Faulk fumble and the first Brady INT. The Brown fumble was bad coaching too, for what it's worth.

sieglo said:
What is with this 14 baloney? I count 20:

+7 :: Bogus Asante Samuel pass interference call. Should have been a non-call, or offensive, which would have basically ended that possesssion for Denver.
+10 :: Touchback out of the end zone. Look at where Bailey's left leading foot is when the ball leaves his hand. Then look at the trajectory of the ball. It is pretty clear that the ball passed inside of the pylon. (This is really a 10 point swing, since the Ptas are deep in the Denver red zone so at least lose out on a FG, maybe a TD).
+3 :: False start non-call on the long Elam FG that barely cleared the crossbar.

More high points of officiating misbehavior:

- Rampant holding of Wilfork, Seymour, McGinest, and Colvin all game.
- Davis pass interference mugging.
- Obvious Asante Samuel interception which BB had to use a review to get corrected.

Yes, turnovers lost the game. But bad officiating put the Pats in situations where they were forced to play with higher risk. I also think that the Pats offensive coordination in this game was maybe the worst all season, contrinuting directly to the Faulk fumble and the first Brady INT. The Brown fumble was bad coaching too, for what it's worth.

Oh boy, lets handle all these....again the first 7, YOU DONT KNOW IF DENVER scores on that drive anyway. It was 2 and 10 from your 40 yard line. Denver could very well have scored anyway.

Now to the next 2.....the Bailey play wasn't overturned because there was nothing to disprove the call the refs made on the field...NOTHING, if you say you do, you're lying through your teeth. Like I said, according to the replay I have saved on my comp, the line drawn from where the ball landed to where he fumbled has it WELL within the playing field. YOU CAN NOT TELL AND THERE IS NOTHING THAT WOULD SHOW DEFINATIVE PROOF THAT HE FUMBLED THE BALL THROUGH THE ENDZONE.

Finally, the Elam FG....fine, call the Broncos for the false start, who's to say Elam doesn't drill that from 5 yards back?

Cmon people, lets be rational here.

broncoted said:
Finally, the Elam FG....fine, call the Broncos for the false start, who's to say Elam doesn't drill that from 5 yards back?

Cmon people, lets be rational here.

I like you man, you're passionate about your team and you do show respect.

But did you just demand rationalism while arguing that Elam would have kicked a 55 yard field goal?

P.S. I know he's done it before... but the Patriots have won the Super Bowl before, too. They've also beaten the Broncos before.

CheerforTom said:
P.S. I know he's done it before... but the Patriots have won the Super Bowl before, too. They've also beaten the Broncos before.

Wow, for fans of a three time champ you guys really make a lot of excuses....its really amazing....

At least you guys can blame it on the turnovers.My team forced three turnovers and still lost the game because of an anemic offense.I can only grimace in pain.The drinks are on me guys and here's to next year. :(

broncoted said:
Wow, for fans of a three time champ you guys really make a lot of excuses....its really amazing....

You didn't refute what I said? I win the argument!!! :rocker: :rocker:

Seriously though, excuses? What could the Patriots have done to play better? Not fumble? That's about it. When your team wins a game based on a few plays alone, you did not "outplay" the other team.

This is my first post at this site, but the poor officiating in this game has compelled me to comment. I am not trying to make excuses for the Pats, they should have overcome the bad callas rather then be consumed by them. That is on them, no one else. Before I get to this I want to say that the Broncos won this game. Part of being a great football team is making the most of the opportunities that are presented to you, it is how the Patriots have remained great for such a long period of time. In this game, when presented with opportunities, the Broncos made the most of them every time. For that, I tip my cap and say well done, and good luck for the future.

But, there were four horrible, game changing penalties that helped ruin the Pats chances in this game and caused significant shifts in momentum towards the Broncos. The first occurred when Champ Bailey almost ripped Andre Davis’s helmet off after Brady’s first big completion (check the game tape, this did happen. If someone disagrees, please let me know why, I thought I clearly saw Baily grabbing the face mask and ripping Davis’s helmet up, but maybe I am mistaken). Davis should have been yelling for a face mask penalty, but he seemed a bit stunned after the catch, so probably did not think about it. Now, instead of having 1st and 10 on the 25, the Pats started at the 40, which made it that much more difficult to score a TD. Maybe the Pats would not have scored a TD, but you can’t convince me it did not affect the play of the game somewhat. Maybe the Bronco’s defense would have been more discouraged after a penalty like that on top of the completion, maybe the crowd would have been taken even more out of it. Plus, maybe Bailey is not as aggressive as the game wears on with the refs watching him closer after such a vicious play. Maybe I am completely wrong, but that was a huge non-call on the ref’s part.

Faulk’s fumble was a good play by the defense taking advantage of a Pats player who has always had questionable hands. However, the Pats still had a good opportunity to stuff the Broncos and force a punt before the half. The pass interference call should not have been made for three reasons. First, the Bronco’s wide receiver was obviously grabbing Samuel and either stopping him from making a play on the ball or trying to get him out of the way so he could make a play. This is clear offensive pass interference. However, we’ll give Denver the benefit of the doubt and say Samuel also made significant enough contact for the defense to have been called for pass interference as well. Second, the ball was uncatchable from the position the players were in. The players were moving towards the left hand side of the endzone, heading out of bounds while the ball clearly sailed much to far to the right for the Bronco’s player to ever make a play on the ball (especially since the Bronco’s receiver made absolutely no move towards the ball). Third, the call was made at least 4 seconds after the play by a referee out of position to make the call. The referee, who was standing no more then five feet away from the play did not even reach for his flag. It was only after the referee on the other side of the field realized that the ref closest was not going to make a call that he decided to throw a flag. That flag should have been overruled immediately by the ref closest to the play, but it was not. Bronco’s ball on the one, touchdown. That gave the Bronco’s the lead just before half, which was certainly a Pats momentum killer and forced them to have to come from behind out of the gates second half, significantly changing the type of game the Pats could have played (less pressured to make plays, the Pats may not have had as many turnovers). Instead the ref’s took the game out of the hands of the players and made a horrible call.

Hobbs’ fumble was as surprising as it was horrible, especially since it was the kicker who knocked the ball loose (Though Hobbs would never have handled the ball in that situation had the pass interference call not been made). Damn fine play for a kicker though, perfect position for the tackle. The subsequent field goal should not have happened though, since the Bronco’s were clearly offside on the field goal attempt. This would have pushed them back five more yards and either would have forced another field goal that had less of a chance of going through, or would have forced a Bronco’s punt (since the previous field goal had barely made it, punting probably would have been the best option, especially since there was still time left on the clock for Brady to manufacture a quick field goal drive had the field goal missed). With that said, Elam is a hell of a kicker and Shanahan was playing to win, so I would not have been surprised if they tried and made the field goal again. Still, the refs are always right on with offensive offsides, even the slightest movement almost always results in a flag. But there was no flag here, which meant at least two refs dropped the ball. Instead of having a 3 point lead, the Pats were down seven, and playing from behind the rest of the way, which I know played a part in the turnovers, regardless of how poorly the Pats executed.

The fourth call was the Bailey interception run back for a touchdown. Let’s forget the fact that Brady doesn’t make that throw if he didn’t feel pressured to make something happen being behind, caused by the three horrible calls in the first half. Bailey made a great reactive play to a horrible pass, and then made a terrific run almost for a touchdown. Watson made an equally amazing play coming across the field to force the ball out right before Bailey crossed. Now, I personally can go either way on this call, it is really hard to tell whether the ball went past the goal line in bounds, though I am not sure this matters all that much since the line extends to infinity and the ball landed out of bounds past the goal line. That is hard call for a ref to make, so I can understand the call they made. However, if the call had gone the other way, and it was ruled Pats ball, it would not have been reversed on replay. This is not so much a terrible call, but a borderline call that went the Bronco’s way. After the blatantly anti-Pats penalty follies in the first half, this call becomes immediately suspect to me. It could have gone either way, but the refs chose the Broncos, just as they had the entire game.

Am I saying there is a conspiracy? No, most assuredly no. But I do believe Bill Simmons’ maxim about bad refs, the home crowd always sways their opinion. The penalty calling clearly swayed in the Broncos direction, and it is the NFL’s fault for having such a crappy crew for such an important game.

With that said, good luck Denver, you have a tough, opportunistic team, and you’ll be able to run the ball better against Indy then you were against us. Get ahead early, keep Jake from having to win, and you’ll be Super Bowl bound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes