PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

what now mr. polian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before the Superbowl I don't think anyone had used the word 'explosive' next to Rhodes in five years.
Well, I don't think he is pro bowl material, that's for sure, but he did the job when he had to, didn't he? When James was out?

That's what I meant. I think Polian is making a big mistake letting Rhodes and Harper go. So obviously I'm in favor of it, and hope it comes back to bite his butt. I understand about cap money. Luckily Brady's and Seymour's contracts were manages so that we could sign all the FAs we wanted to. If we can get Samuel to extend, we won't even need a draft this year :)

If you had injuries like we did, with 5-6 DBs on IR, you'd understand the need for more than one good player at a position. Maybe your luck will run out, not that I hope any gets hurt. I don't. But you can't buck the odds forever. Should've gone for a decent backup RB like TJ Duckett, someone who will keep your season from being trashed if Addai gets hurt or suffers a sophomore slump.

Well, I don't think he is pro bowl material, that's for sure, but he did the job when he had to, didn't he? When James was out?

That's what I meant. I think Polian is making a big mistake letting Rhodes and Harper go. So obviously I'm in favor of it, and hope it comes back to bite his butt. I understand about cap money. Luckily Brady's and Seymour's contracts were manages so that we could sign all the FAs we wanted to. If we can get Samuel to extend, we won't even need a draft this year :)

If you had injuries like we did, with 5-6 DBs on IR, you'd understand the need for more than one good player at a position. Maybe your luck will run out, not that I hope any gets hurt. I don't. But you can't buck the odds forever. Should've gone for a decent backup RB like TJ Duckett, someone who will keep your season from being trashed if Addai gets hurt or suffers a sophomore slump.

He also averaged 3.4 ypc during the regular season. If that's doing the job, then I don't think it will be hard to find someone who can do that job. ;)

I don't think Rhodes is as explosive as he was as a rookie when James was hurt. Remember, he tore his ACL the next year.

The Colts have had plenty of injuries over the years. Just last year, Simon, Reagor, Sanders, Doss. Every team has injuries.

TJ Duckett doesn't fit this offense. Look for the Colts to grab a guy like Darius Walker in the 3rd or 4th round.

Edge is gone. Depth at RB is gone. Addai is a system guy. Stockley is gone. Harrison is over 35, and the Left Tackle is in his mid thirties.

The Defense is a shambles and a joke and has always been one, carried along on the back of the offense.

Watch out Belooowwww!!

Knowing that I will get flamed for this, I ask how Harrison is over 35 years and Tarik Glenn is in his mid thirties.

The Colts have had plenty of injuries over the years. Just last year, Simon, Reagor, Sanders, Doss. Every team has injuries.
Yeah, that's two. Sanders didn't go on IR, and you were better off without Doss.

When you get hit with multiple major injuries, you will understand the difference, trust me.

Knowing that I will get flamed for this, I ask how Harrison is over 35 years and Tarik Glenn is in his mid thirties.
If my subtraction is correct, Harrison was only 34 last August and Glenn will only be 32 this May.

# 88 Marvin Harrison
Born: 08/25/1972

# 78 Tarik Glenn
05/25/1976

Guys, we can laugh about Polian all we want, but we have to respect the fact gin blossom face built a championship team. They are the team to beat this year....Bob Sanders at Safety really makes that D go, IMO.

So, lets give Polian his props and hope we change things next season.

Fellers,

My take (fwiw) is that Polian is a small, embittered man. For years he's tried to win the nig one, he's had a really great QB for putting up numbers, but in the end, it's always come down to something.... and that something was an empty spot on the trophy shelf.

He;s tried everything to rectify the situation. He got a new coach, he complained and got rules changed, he bought off a great kicker from his opponent, and you know what.... he finally got that trophy.

His problem is: Now what? Now what does he do? He's losing some good players. His team is aging, and slowly changing. He's not generating the kind of income he wants, and he sees that his big rival still has two more of those silver baubles than he does. And now.... now he's running up against the cap.

He's also gonna be running up against the wall of trying to repeat a superbowl season.

I think he's either going to blow a gasket and get hauled off somewhere, or he's gonna just melt away, a tired, bitter old man.

Then again, I could be wrong :eek: .... been wrong before :mad: , and I'll be wrong again. However, I have seen his type before. Worked for them, and seen how they operate. Ah well... enough rambling.

Respects,

As reigning Super Bowl champions, the Colts project to be one of the best teams in the league next season. Duh.

Anybody who suggests otherwise is waaaay overstating the case.

That said, the Pats, Colts, and Chargers were very close last season in team quality. And the Pats went into the offseason with a much more favorable resource budget than the other two, especially the Colts. And the Chargers have a whole new coaching staff.

Of the next tier, Baltimore also went into the offseason in unfortunate resource shape. Denver, the unknown, actually scares me more than Indy or SD, and a lot more than Baltimore.

I think Pioli should start complaining about holding the week before we play the Colts. Pull out a few hundred clips of Colts holding and flash them to the media. That would probably push him over the edge!

If my subtraction is correct, Harrison was only 34 last August and Glenn will only be 32 this May.

# 88 Marvin Harrison
Born: 08/25/1972

# 78 Tarik Glenn
05/25/1976
According to my math Harrison will turn 35 in August and Glenn will turn 31 in May.

According to FootballOutsiders Harrison was one of the top 5 receivers in the league
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr.php

Harrison finished 2nd in receiving yardage and receiving TDs and 3rd in receptions.If that is wearing down, I hope that a Patriot receiver wears down in the same manner in 2007.

According to FootballOutsiders Harrison was one of the top 5 receivers in the league
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr.php

Harrison finished 2nd in receiving yardage and receiving TDs and 3rd in receptions.If that is wearing down, I hope that a Patriot receiver wears down in the same manner in 2007.

I love seeing that list that the Colts have the two best receivers in football. I would think the QB plays a lot into those ratings considering that I see Cincy and New Orleans with some of the top WRs as well.

Marvin only seems to wear down in the playoffs, I think he can play in the regular season forever! ;)

Oh yeah....Polian has to be worrying right now....they had to use a combination of flu/Aurbachian temperature trick/referee payola to pull out the AFCCG last year. They have added nothing....the Pats are reloading big time. I might have to go and read the Indy Colts boards (read, not troll) to get a feel to see if any panic is setting in.

I also wonder if Kraft/Beoli just got fed up with all his crap complaining to the league too. This tastes a bit like payback beyond just trying to win....like wanting to shove it in the Colts face.

I have been reading (not trolling) the Jets, Dolphins, and Colts forums for pure entertainment. I am amazed at how much talk we are getting due to the aggressive free agent signings the Pats have made. While most are split between the signings being good or bad, the feeling that I'm getting from all that I've read is that whether these fans want to admit it or not, they're extremely nervous knowing that the "master-talent-evaluator" BB still has 2 first round picks at his disposal, not too mention the diamond in the rough he'll probably pick in the latter rounds. I can only think that Polian and Irsay have got to be swearing under their breath every time they turn on sportscenter or pick up the morning sports section!

According to my math ... Glenn will turn 31 in May.
And I checked it twice, too. Now I'm really glad I threw in that caveat about my subtraction skills.

I have been reading (not trolling) the Jets, Dolphins, and Colts forums for pure entertainment. I am amazed at how much talk we are getting due to the aggressive free agent signings the Pats have made. While most are split between the signings being good or bad
What would be bad about the signings?

What would be bad about the signings?

maybe on which side of the line you are on....Hopefuly they will respect us on both sides of the line..I can't wait!!!!GO PATS!!!!:singing: :rocker: :woohoo:

maybe on which side of the line you are on....Hopefuly they will respect us on both sides of the line..I can't wait!!!!GO PATS!!!!:singing: :rocker: :woohoo:
Well, I checked out the Finheaven thread. I must say that the Fin Fans that post there are sure a lot more knowledgable than the dolphin trolls who embarrass themselves here. Even feelthepain doesn't look as dumb as he acts here.

The main "problem" was that the FA signings are an act of desperation (according to some dolphin fans), that we are flailing around like the Redskins. Not all Fin Fans agreed. Most were annoyed that we signed Stallworth.

There was also a lot of talk that we got bilked when we signed Welker. That's fair. Personally, I don't think we got bilked and I think we did well, but there are Pats fans who think we overpaid, so it is certainly reasonable for Dolphin fans to think that. Plus, the Dolphins are winners any way you look at it. They sign a guy off the street for peanuts, get some great years out of him, and when he leaves, they get a second round pick for him. What's not to like?

They all feel good about Joey Porter, as good as we feel about Thomas.

Overall, I was quite impressed by the Dolphins fan site, at least as represented by that thread. Now if we can just convince the fin trolls to go back there and learn something, everyone will be the better for it.

Let's not underestimate Polian. He could be maneuvering to get Briggs.

Give me a break. They just won the Super Bowl.

I will give AZPatsfan credit. He is persistent.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...ad.php?p=129546&highlight=collapse#post129546

"I consider the present Colts tream in danger of collapse, and have said so before."

On 1/23/2007 he wrote:
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...hread.php?p=316790&highlight=wayne#post316790
"The core of the Colts are all over thirty. Their Stars next year will be Peyton 33, Harrison 36, Wayne 31, Glenn 34, Saturday 31, Stokley 31, Diem 30, and Booger 33."

Out of the 8 players mentioned AzPatsfan reported the age correctly for only two of them.
Manning will not turn 33 until 3/24/2009.
Harrison will not turn 36 until 8/25/2008.
Wayne will not turn 31 until 11/17/2009
Glenn will not turn 34 until 5/25/2010
Diem will not turn 30 until 7/1/2009
McFarland will not turn 33 until 12/18/2010

IIRC, AzPatsfan was one of the few posters who admitted that they were wrong about the 2006 Colts so I give him a great deal of credit for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back