PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What non First Round LB Could Start for Us ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelichickFan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I mean legitimitely start. Hell, I could start. Of course, I'm 6'0", 180, 39 years old and have never played LB. But I could start if they put me out there.

Silliness aside, the reason I'm convinced we're taking a LB is that unless Beisel, TBC or (no way) Claridge is ready to start we need a starting LB and it's the only position we can say that about. Say what you want about Reche Caldwell but he was a legit starter for SD (making 3 or so catches a game, same as Givens) before getting hurt and is now two years from his injury. He may not be a great starter but he clearly can start in the NFL.

So if we take a non LB in Round One, is there anyone who can start at ILB or OLB for us ? Guys like Gocong clearly can'. Mark Anderson I see mentioned a lot for Round Three. Give me a couple of legit guys who could start Week One, otherwise I'm not moving off my "LB or Bust in the First Round" stance.

some people think that if we don't select Carpenter with our 21st pick, he could drop into the second round. Ditto Manny Lawson, although there's alot more variability on how high or low he could go. I think that both could be starters for our team no matter where they end up falling. I think Havner is a non first round talent that could be an immediate starter too.

chowder said:
some people think that if we don't select Carpenter with our 21st pick, he could drop into the second round. Ditto Manny Lawson, although there's alot more variability on how high or low he could go. I think that both could be starters for our team no matter where they end up falling. I think Havner is a non first round talent that could be an immediate starter too.
I'll have to look into Havner but the others, even if they got to round two we'd have to trade up to get as they'd likely go high. I was really meaning guys who'd make it to our round two pick.

IMO there's very few ILBs that could start for us year one. Maybe Abdul Hodge. Maybe Schlegel. But those are big ifs.

I think there are several OLB candidates that could start immediately, even if we had to do some slight modifications in the defense.

dryheat44 said:
I think there are several OLB candidates that could start immediately, even if we had to do some slight modifications in the defense.
Names, man, I need names . . . :)

McGarigle? Wilkerson? big, big maybe's to start. Give a year to figure out where they are.

I don't think there is a concensus "perfect fit" this year. With disagreements on position of need vs BPA all over the place. Obviously we need a WR or OLB much more than a RB right this moment, but the BPA at 21 likely could be a RB or TE.

I think Kai Praham could start as a 2-down run stopper next to Bruschi, with Vrabel moving to the outside.

It would be extremely difficult for any LB in this draft that could start for us from day 1 (like Mankins did last year). Two simple reasons first the calls are too complex for any rookie to make/execute and the reads are known as the toughest in all of football. And remember, they change for every game, even if the Pats play that team twice in a season. Every week is a new learning experience. Some people mention Parham, but remember those reads ate Chad Brown up and he played in a pro 3-4 at Pittsburgh. (granted on the outside not the inside)
Guys that could start early during their first season.
Parham - has an edge with some experience. Some people say he's slow, but remember Brian Cox ran a 5.0 coming out of college and he had a rather long career.
Hawk - as physically gifted as any LB in the last couple of years. The OSU defense is very vanilla, so how fast he picks up the mental part of the scheme is the only obstacle for him to overcome.
And there are quite a few players that could start sometime during the second part of the season if they are fast learners or injuries hit. But this is a very difficult defense. I played division 1 college football, I played briefly for the Dolts(pre Peyton era, under March) and I watch Bruschi religiously and I still can't figure out what he's callling, but he's real good at getting guys set up properly. Second only to Harrison who is much better at getting guys set up properly than Milloy was.

Spencer Havner seems like our best shot to me, and Gocong would be an excellent sleeper pick.

If we take Carpenter at #21, I am going to feel pretty good about that pick because I am sure that Vrabel will have had some input with BB since he has worked out with him, conversly if we pass..... But directly to your query - I think any draftee taken on day one stands a possibility of starting or getting some serious PT. Several interesting names mentioned and all legit possibilities but am I the only one thinking about Kudla as an ILB possibility?

bosfan said:
If we take Carpenter at #21, I am going to feel pretty good about that pick because I am sure that Vrabel will have had some input with BB since he has worked out with him, conversly if we pass..... But directly to your query - I think any draftee taken on day one stands a possibility of starting or getting some serious PT. Several interesting names mentioned and all legit possibilities but am I the only one thinking about Kudla as an ILB possibility?
Nope, he made my ILB board.

To answer the question, what rookie LB 1st round or otherwise starts the season for the Pats without it being an emergency? None.

chowder said:
some people think that if we don't select Carpenter with our 21st pick, he could drop into the second round. Ditto Manny Lawson, although there's alot more variability on how high or low he could go.
Sure, they could drop into perhaps the top 5 picks in the second round. Most likely, NY Giants will take an OLB at 25, and at least one, probably two more OLBs will go between 26 and 32 in the first round.

That's why I'm still pushing for LB in round 1 - the ones that will be anywhere near we could get them in later rounds aren't guarantees, and definitely couldn't start week 1. Carpenter or Lawson could. I know people like DeAngelo Williams, and so do I, but I'd rather take Carpenter or Lawson in round 1, and then grab Addai, Jerrious Norwood, or Maurice Drew later on in the draft. One of those RBs plus Carpenter/Lawson IMO is a better LB/RB combo than Williams and any LB we could get later in the draft.

There will be other good LBs I'd like us to take later in the draft too (Gocong, Parham (will be a steal on day 2), LaCasse), but I don't see any of them as guarantees or week 1 starters.

Ochmed Jones said:
It would be extremely difficult for any LB in this draft that could start for us from day 1 (like Mankins did last year). Two simple reasons first the calls are too complex for any rookie to make/execute and the reads are known as the toughest in all of football. And remember, they change for every game, even if the Pats play that team twice in a season.
Of course, can't you say the same thing about safety in the Pats system? Didn't stop Wilson....

is it difficult? Sure. But, I think some of the round 1 guys could do it fine. The rookie wouldn't be the one making the calls, after all.

Parham - has an edge with some experience. Some people say he's slow, but remember Brian Cox ran a 5.0 coming out of college and he had a rather long career.
I like Parham for us in round 3-5 somewhere. His slow time will make him fall quite a bit.

Hawk - as physically gifted as any LB in the last couple of years. The OSU defense is very vanilla, so how fast he picks up the mental part of the scheme is the only obstacle for him to overcome.
No point discussing him, since he won't make it past the top 5.

Probably no one.

The only possible rookie starters are Greenway and Carpenter, but they're probably not Week One starters, either. Hodge, maybe. Not Lawson.

Last edited:
If, heaven forbid, you need a rookie to start at LB, I don't think it's "round 1 or bust." I think it's "2+ LBs or bust." Take Anderson and McGarigle and and Havner and hope that one of them picks things up very, very fast.

BelichickFan said:
I mean legitimitely start. Hell, I could start. Of course, I'm 6'0", 180, 39 years old and have never played LB. But I could start if they put me out there.

Silliness aside, the reason I'm convinced we're taking a LB is that unless Beisel, TBC or (no way) Claridge is ready to start we need a starting LB and it's the only position we can say that about. Say what you want about Reche Caldwell but he was a legit starter for SD (making 3 or so catches a game, same as Givens) before getting hurt and is now two years from his injury. He may not be a great starter but he clearly can start in the NFL.

So if we take a non LB in Round One, is there anyone who can start at ILB or OLB for us ? Guys like Gocong clearly can'. Mark Anderson I see mentioned a lot for Round Three. Give me a couple of legit guys who could start Week One, otherwise I'm not moving off my "LB or Bust in the First Round" stance.

IMO, Vrabel will move back outside. He's the only one with the skill set and experience to take Willie's slot.Whatever LB's are drafted will play next to Tedy by committee. 1st and 2nd down maybe Hodge, Parham, or Gocong. Passing downs either one of our current back-ups or a first rd pick.

Abdul Hodge, and Leon Williams could start for us, and fill in OK. Both of these guys need help in coverage...badly, I'd love to pick up Hodge/ D'Qwell Jackson with our second rounder.

I think the only not 1st round LB that could start for us would be Kai Parham. He is big enough and has experience in the 3-4. Some of the other players would have a chance, but I would doubt they could beat our Monty Beisel right away. I don't think Hodge or D'Qwell Jackson are on our draft board because their lack of size for our system.

nickw308810 said:
I think the only not 1st round LB that could start for us would be Kai Parham. He is big enough and has experience in the 3-4. Some of the other players would have a chance, but I would doubt they could beat our Monty Beisel right away. I don't think Hodge or D'Qwell Jackson are on our draft board because their lack of size for our system.

I can't even imagine a rookie playing worse than Beisel. Maybe I'm being too harsh, but he just seemed to be awful last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes