PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What needs to happen for a playoff BYE

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pats threw away the bye when they lost to the Jets at home.

The Colts loss hurt more in terms of getting a bye - if we had won, NE, Indy, Balt & SD would all be 9-2. Losing to the Jets opened up the wound even more.

The Colts loss hurt more in terms of getting a bye - if we had won, NE, Indy, Balt & SD would all be 9-2. Losing to the Jets opened up the wound even more.

Right, but after that loss, the worst thing for the Pats to do was go into the tank the following week to the Jets, a team that the Pats had no business losing to. Now the Pats must run the table, which I don't think they will. Assuming the Pats go 12-4, they have to hope SD loses 3 games as I believe they got the Pats on TBs (common opponents: i.e. Denver) AND hope that Baltimore loses 3 games, since they also got the Pats on TBs (AFC record).

As for Indy, they have #1 locked up. However, if they have to play SD in the playoffs, Indy will once again be Heartbreak City. If Dallas wins the NFC, which imo is likely, then if Indy does get by SD they likely won't get by Dallas. I just don't see Indy beating two 3-4 teams in the postseason.

Last edited:
The other team we can't count out yet are the Jets. They have a similarly easy schedule left and could win out too since they've been playing really well. But if we win out I think we'd get a bye since SD and Balt have some tough opponents left and are bound to lose a few.

And I'd also rather avoid having to play Denver under any scenario.

I think either the Jets or Bungles bump Denver from the playoffs. KC will get the 5th seed (according to my crystal ball) they have a tough set with Baltimore and then @ SD. They will likely drop one of those and end up 11-5. I think Denver ends up 10-6.

One thing is for certain we have all become huge Herm Edwards fans for the short term.

Last edited:
If we don't get the #2 seed, I'd prefer the Ravens get the bye and NE be #3. We should manage at home vs. the #6 seed, plus I'd prefer the team travel down to Ballamore rather than cross-country to San Diego. The Ravens are a better matchup for us. Also, it would give us a chance to host the AFC title game should Indy falter against SD (very possible).

Oh Wow if they come down to Baltimore I am going to pull as many strings as I can to go. :)

Oh Wow if they come down to Baltimore I am going to pull as many strings as I can to go. :)

I hear ya- I live in Richmond, and I've been waiting 10 years for the Pats to play at Baltimore again. I'll admit I'm rooting for that game but I'd prefer a bye first and foremost.

Out of all those teams, San Diego is the one that scares me. I would love to see them go to Indy and beat them, tho, that might mean we play them afterwards.
Ya know, we either have to play Indy or the team that beats them. You can't go past the first round of the playoffs without playing a very good team.

I hear ya- I live in Richmond, and I've been waiting 10 years for the Pats to play at Baltimore again. I'll admit I'm rooting for that game but I'd prefer a bye first and foremost.

Oh of course... but I would'nt mind seeing the game either;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back