Welcome to PatsFans.com

What Minor Law Pisses You Off ?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by BelichickFan, May 16, 2006.

1. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

The intent here isn't to say "drugs being illegal" or the like, as that would be considered a major law.

Mine is having to wear my seatbelt. It's none of the government's business whether I wear it or not. In fact I often don't, simply because I don't want to. If I'm on the freeway or other fast road ? Sure. But if I'm the only car on the road going 30 MPH, like I often am, I don't. And the police can kiss my ass.

2. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +154 / 10 / -16

#37 Jersey

I agree, matter of fact in Pennsylvania and driver can be pulled over and ticketed for not wearing a seat belt(before it was just an add on if you were pulled over for something else). But a person ridding a motorcycle does not need to wear a helmet, not that I am for either but the contradiction makes no sense.

3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +593 / 24 / -19

I don't have an issue with the seatbelt laws, but, not being originally from MA, I always thought it was interesting that in this liberal state, voter resistance to those laws delayed its implementation by several years. It made me realize there is more to Massachusetts liberalism than meets the eye.

Living in Cambridge, I think the policy of towing cars during street cleaning days is too extreme. I can understand a ticket or more severe penalty for repeat violaters. But, when you miss street cleaning day here, your car is towed to the most inconvenient part of Somerville, and you have to pay a $75 fine plus a $15 ticket. To me, it's a boondoggle for the towing companies at the expense of the residents.

4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

There are many here who think liberally but do not want the government regulating every aspect of our lives. We have a certain pride here about opposition to government tyranny. Three NE states still allow motorcycle riders without helmets. The seatbelt law is clearly pushed by the insurance industry, who stand to save money and police departments who think they're helping. I have no problem, though with stopping cars where kids are jumping around the back seat or sitting on the lap of an adult in the fromt seat. That drives me nuts when I see it.

The little law (it's not really a law but a practice) that really bothers me is how school buses in the burbs have to stop at every door to pick up one kid at a time. That drives me crazy, too. How isolated and lazy do we want our kids to get? Plus, it slows me down.

5. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

The seat belt law should be enforced. Its a habit that I gotten used to and is no longer an issue or a hassle. This law has reduced our costs and saved many lives, even at slower speeds. I am still amazed at how many people don't buckle up. I am completely outraged when I see flaming idiots not buckling their children. Parents who drive with their kids standing on the front seat should go straight to jail, lock them up.
    The law that irritates me is wearing a helmet on a bicycle, while allowing motorcyclists to go without. I totally flaunt this one, catch me if you can. Of course, kids should wear helmets, or adults riding with kids.

6. mgcolby

mgcolby Woohoo, I'm a VIP!!! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

Here in Virginia they are proposing a law that will force people who have points on their license to pay an annual fee to drive based on the amount of points on that individuals license. So essentially they are double dipping, because if you get a ticket and you pay the fine, serve the suspension you then have to pay for it again as an annual payment. I guess they do this in NJ and Virginia is looking to adopt it.

7. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

LMAO. Of all the stuff that parents can do to risk the future of their kids, this isn't high on my list of problems. On the freeway, sure, but not on some back road. I also don't make my kids wear helmets when they ride their bikes. We all fell off our bikes with no helmet and guess what ? We survived.

8. scout

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Are you saying buckling your kids up in your car isn't high on your list, or helmets on bikes?

9. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

You're taking me out of context. The helmet thing, yeah, that's not high on my list. Seatbelts for kids, I'm not arguing against it but you said parents should be sent to jail over it which is way overeacting.

10. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +824 / 27 / -33

I know it is not enforced, but any law that has to do with sexual behavior in my home, behind closed doors.... I think these and the Blue Laws are archaic.

11. scout

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Yes, parents should go to jail for not buckling up their children. A warning and a fine for the first offense, jail time for second. Even at residential speeds, a child can be seriously injured from not wearing a seat belt. That's not even mentioning the delinquent speeding down the street that runs into you. The "when we were kids" is not a very good defense. When we were kids we sat on tailgates of station wagons, never buckled up (some cars didn't even have seat belts), hitchhiked everywhere, did a lot of things that I wouldn't let me kids do today.

12. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

So I suppose you want to record all my household events and toss me in jail if you don't approve.

It's a perfectly good arguement for me. I know, come on over and throw me in jail for not keeping my kids in a bubble. Sorry.

13. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +154 / 10 / -16

#37 Jersey

I hope you mean with adults, but with you lefties sometimes I don't know.

I bet a lot of people that work in retail like blue laws.

14. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

Maybe tomorrow I will list the food my kids ate, how much time they spent on homework and what afterschool activities they participated in. All for your approval, of course.

15. scout

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Actually, that sounds more like a Republican agenda. No, I was only speaking of buckling kids up (which is law) for their safety. You have no control over other people's driving habits. I think the vast majority of people would agree that children should always wear seat belts regardless of what the parents think.

16. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

That's because this country has become a sess pool of politican correctness.

17. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

I'm not sure if you're joking or not, but I really don't see why the law limits us to one spouse. As long as all parties consent, what difference does it make ? It's much like limiting gay marriage, I guess, just the government dictating what it thinks is the correct lifestyle.

18. scout

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Its not about political correctness. Its protecting people that can not look after themselves (kids). I'm all for the government to stay out of my life. Don't wiretap me. Don't look into my bedroom. If my wife doesn't want life support, don't make up a law at the 11th hour to circumvent it. Stay out of my life and my state's rights. Its when my neighbor endangers their child by not buckling them in, is when the law needs to step in.

19. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I just got a big fat rejected sticker for my van's annual inspection. Every year in this most annoying state of MA, you must submit $29.00 and have some mechanic crawl through your automobile looking for anything that might even begin to be dangerous. My problem is a broken side-view mirror. If you notice, those mirrors on vans are about six times as big as the mirrors on cars, I'm only missing a little piece. Which means my side view is only four times as big as some guy in a Taurus, but apparently I'm likely to kill hundreds if my view isn't completely perfect. Next I'll get flagged for having a dirty ashtray or something.

Every other year they check your emmissions as well and if your vehicle puts out more than a mouse fart's worth of exhaust, you'll have a nasty bill to deal with. I wonder just how much higher emmissions repairs are in this state due to the fact that you MUST comply with this law?

20. Chevy

Chevy Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

I'm against the mandatory seatbelt and helmet laws. Under 18, no problem. Over 18, it's your choice.