Welcome to PatsFans.com

What kind of country do we want?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Turd Furguson, May 3, 2006.

1. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Do we want a country like that our forefathers drew up for us or do we want to be more like the Euros?

Should we tax those who are successful or those who take risks more heavily than those who arent/dont? Should those who work harder than their neighbor be punished by higher taxes?

Should we be allowed to have guns?

Should we be allowed to kill our unborn? How about our already born? (Andrea Yates says "Its my body, my choice, right?)

Should we be unafraid to actually celebrate Christmas without offending someone?

Should we be proud to be English speaking Americans?

Should we be ashamed to want to protect our borders?

Should we be concerned with helping those less fortunate or under harsh conditions around the world?

Should we as consenting adults be allowed to do as we please and have it recognized under the law?
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

Are you talking about child labor, slavery, no suffrage for women, burning of Indian villages, no minimum wage, 78 hour work weeks, no health care, air and water pollution, no safety standards? If that's what you're talking about, then I'd say we want to be more like the Euros.

What measure do you want to use for taxation? Hard work? Risk taking? or just success (e.g., winning the lottery or suing a corporation for millions)? Also, do you think everyone should pay the same tax, e.g., $30,000? Or do you think that people should pay different taxes, depending on their income? And why just their income, why not their wealth? We have a country to run, and our tax structure has to reflect a logical balance between incentive and the cost to support the necessary infrastructure and services.

Where would you draw the line? I would rely on police organizations to draw the line.

You can't kill that which isn't human, and besides why worry so much about the unborn when the born don't have health care, live in safe communities, and get good schooling? Do you worry about the unborn because to do so has no tax consequences? Do you not care about the born because it's expensive to care for them?

You fell for that? I think only right-wing radio is turning that nonsense into a serious story? The war on Christmas is non-existent except in the minds of the truly ill-informed. Or does "Happy Holidays" really offend you?

If you need to be proud that you speak the national language, then I guess you have very little to be proud of. Are you also proud that you're a human?

I think hardly anyone's against that. I would encourage you to read more on the issue. Protecting our borders is not the issue.

Of course.

As long as there's no evidence of coercion or manipulaton that's probably okay, though some issues are a little trickier, such as assisted suicide.
  3. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

And let me ask one more...

Should we be asking leading questions, or does that kind of rhetoric not get us anywhere?
  4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Hey, that's a trick fargin question!:mad:
  5. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm just curious what each of wants for our country.
  6. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

That's great, but you weren't actually asking a question so much as ribbing ideoligies you disagree with. The difference between a question and a leading question is that one is asked with the intention of getting an honest answer, the other to make a point.
  7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

This sounds like a NEWMAX or Worldnet poll, very subjective and very leading questions..when I get more time will respond..
  8. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Which ideology did I rip?

Where do you stand?
  9. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Alright, let's do this.

Do we want a country like that our forefathers drew up for us or do we want to be more like the Euros?
    Problem with question: This is just a wild question, there are so many possible angles to answer it from, and many people (though not me) could argue that the current Euro system fits well within the Founding Fathers' vision. Also, it discounts that the Founding Fathers' vision was not unified - there were disagreements even among them.

My answer: I'm in favor of a society with fewer social programs than either the US or Europe offer right now, and a much more limited amount of revenue for the government.

Should we tax those who are successful or those who take risks more heavily than those who arent/dont? Should those who work harder than their neighbor be punished by higher taxes?
    Problem with question: This is the worst question as far as leading goes. Couldn't you just have asked "Do you favor a flat tax system or additional taxes/multiple layers of taxes on higher earners?"

My answer: I support a national flat tax (everyone pays the same %), most likely through income deduction.

Should we be allowed to have guns?
    Good question.

My answer: I believe people without criminal records or history of mental illness should be able to own guns, including "assault weapons".

Should we be allowed to kill our unborn? How about our already born? (Andrea Yates says "Its my body, my choice, right?)
    Problem with question: Obviously you're making a statement and including your view of abortion into the question. A much more neutral, honest question would be "Do you think abortions should be legal?"

My answer: I am pro choice when the woman is in the first two trimesters, but only support medically necessary (as opposed to elective) abortions in the third.

Should we be unafraid to actually celebrate Christmas without offending someone?
    Problem with question: Again, you're interjecting your view into a "question".

My answer: Actually, I have no idea how to answer this since I'm not sure why you're afraid to celebrate Christmas now. Do I think the government should favor Christmas over any other holiday or allow religeous displays to be installed on public property? No way. Other than that, celebrate away.

Should we be proud to be English speaking Americans?
    Problem with question: I'm not sure what you mean, any answer here is only good for "obvious points."

My answer: Sure, it beats being mute & stateless. Can I have my obvious points now? Should we be proud to be English speaking Americans and look down on everyone else? No.

Should we be ashamed to want to protect our borders?
    Problem with question: I don't know what shame has to do with anything, unless you're asking a... leading question! How about "Should we protect our borders?"

My answer: We should try.

Should we be concerned with helping those less fortunate or under harsh conditions around the world?
    Good question.

My answer: I guess those people who favor a "more like the Euros" style of government should be concerned. Our forefathers may want us to stay out of other parts of the world and deal with less fortunate people here.

Should we as consenting adults be allowed to do as we please and have it recognized under the law?
    Problem with question: I know what you're saying, but "do as we please" is some very wide lattitude. I'd have said "Should adults be criminalized for any behavior that does not directly harm a non-consenting other person or their property (keeping in mind that children are incapable of consent for certain things)".

My answer: Yes, adults should be free to do anything they want as long as they do not directly harm or threaten harm to a non-consenting other person or their property.
    Last edited: May 3, 2006
  10. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thanks Pujo. Points taken and thanks for the response. I actually agree with you on many of them.

By the way, have you stopped beating your wife yet?
  11. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Err, I'm sure that's in reference to something but I don't get it. I'm not married, for what it matters.