PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is your take on Malcolm Butler ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He made a great play in the SB that's it. To assume he will be a great CB for us is just that an assumption. One play that was beaten into him to make in practice doesn't mean he is our starter. I hope he is great but until then you go trade for a starting CB at least.

He seems to have all the fundamentals to be a really good CB, and as has been stated, the likes of Brady and BB love him.

Just let him develop at his own pace. It would be unfair to compare him to Revis, or any other elite next season.

My thought? We just don't know. But in an off-season full of the departure of proven studs, I would like for him to rocket up to some undreamed-of upside. I dunno. Obviously a bright spot in SB 49, & the hero of SB 49... I'd love to see him outperform all expectations on the way to winning SB 50.

He made "the" play in the SB, but he also had a few great defends leading up to that play. He could be all pro this year, or he could be back at Bojangles. As every financial commercial states at the end, past performance is not indicative of future results. I hope its the former, not the latter.

I expect him to be a starting outside CB. He has the potential to be a +#1 CB.

Looked good to this football dummy especially in the preseason games when he played a lot.
I hope he hasn't been spoiled by his moment of glory.

He did play well throughout that second half of SB 49, including on the Kearse miracle catch... then he came back out having to make that play and made it. Interesting to read about that little motivational piece RayClay... it's just common sense that he'd be pretty damn focused 2 plays later, but cool to read in his own words.

It might be dumb, but I can't wait for the SB Rings to get passed out, we've seen the first 3 so many times :)

Wish Revis would have stayed. We could have made the front of it the final score, per the below, but in diamonds...

28-
But that would have been wrong... Butler was the man at the end of that game, despite everything Revis had done for us up to that moment.

Yeah I would love to see Butler turn into a crazy effective shutdown guy... but reading the West Alabama U. numbers, I'm thinking he'd have to instantly step up his game against pro competition.

Of course, stranger things have happened. If only he'd gone to Rutgers... Only Rutgers guys can truly be trusted...​

The thing with Butler that worries me is how many times have we seen this narrative? Rookie DB has a very good rookie year and gets a couple of picks makes some splash plays here and there so we get excited about a year two leap into the starting lineup. Instead of a year two leap all of a sudden they forget how to turn and look for the ball, along with a major regression in coverage skills due to playing off man zone. Hopefully Butler bucks the trend cuz I like the kid a lot and we need him to be a starting caliber corner. Honestly Dennard, Butler, Arrington, McCourty, and Chung is not the worst secondary in the league. Yeah there are no elite players so the AJ green's/Calvin Johnsons of the league are going to make plays, but those guys make plays on lots of secondaries. It is a little bit like our WR's lots of #2's so it's hard to know who to cover. I would love to sign a real #1 corner but I do not see anyone out there I like so I bet they draft a couple and hope they strike gold like Sherman.

He made a great play in the SB that's it.

No that's not IT.

He made four great plays in the second half of the SuperBowl when he replaced Arrington. He had Kearse one-on-one on most of those plays.

PLAY 1: a perfect reaching pass breakup on Kearse

PLAY 2: a heady play to trip Kearse and prevent a long gain

PLAY 3: a perfect laid out pass breakup on the bomb to Kearse down the sideline (Kearse caught the rebound when the safety was late and didn't jumped over instead of playing the ball).

PLAY 4: Game winning interception

In addition to these, NFL FILMS caught him battling Kearse to a standoff in press coverage at the line.

Preceding that, he made enough plays in training camp to make the 53 man roster the deepest secondary in the NFL as an UDRFA. Throughout the season, he made enough plays to consistently make the active game day roster in front of last years starter at CB, Dennard.

The interception to win the SuperBowl was, indeed, a great play, but to suggest that is the some total of his effective play is very wide of the mark.

If he continues on hs current trajectory through the off season and training camp, I think that he will likely nail down a starting CB slot.

Some Comments on the Comments:

1. As other regulars at TC can attest, Butler was a guy who showed up right from the start. He was the guy who sent more spectators to their programs to find out who "that" guy was, than any other "camp body".

2. As someone has already said, "he was always around the ball". Even when the man he's covering catches the ball, he's tightly contesting the catch.

3. Before the great CB exodus, my thought was that he'd end up being the slot CB this year.

4. As it stands today, I'm fairly OK with our CB group. Butler, Ryan, Dennard, and Arrington is a lot better CB foursome than most Pats secondary of the last decade, especially if you consider the strong and flexible S group.

5. But as it stands today, the Pats' secondary is missing a skill set that would change it from being decent into being very good. And this skill set is adding some bigger stronger bodied physical CB than what is currently on the roster. Over the course of the season the Pats will play several 6'3+ WR's. Right now I don't see a good match up against them. It's not like they will run roughshod over us, but I don't see anyone shutting them down either.

6. Here's the problem with that, right off the top, there aren't any CB's left in FA or in the draft that are likely to fill that role right now. But all is not lost. Having that big bodied CB isn't the ONLY way to defend larger receiving targets. This is where total defense concepts are important. Using larger faster guys, ie Collins, in conjunction with hard rushes designed to make the QB make quick decisions, and over the top defenders to protect those larger defenders is just one way to make up for what we've lost.

7. Bottom line, there are not going to be any quick or easy answers. There is no one out there that we can get that will make it all better. No Revis, No Talib, etc.

This is going to take a leap of faith on our part that the projected improvements that we can make on the DL and LB group will in some way make up for the lack of this particular skill set We have to remember this is going to be a TEAM, and no team is flaw free. It's how well that they compensate for those flaws will determine how well they do.

Remember going into last season we all wondered how we will cover up the flaws we had at WR. Flaws we had on the OL. Flaws we perceived at LB, etc Over the course of the season, we saw how we compensated and it led to a superbowl.

We have no reason to believe that the OL won't be better this year. That with another season of working together the receiver group won't be better, or that the front 7 group won't be better with the additions of Easley, Mayo, and Sheard, plus the continuing development Collins, Siliga, and Hightower, etc

The secondary has taken a hit at CB, but its not like those who are there suck. It's just that they aren't as good as Revis, and none have the skill set that Browner had. BB has 5 months to figure out how he can integrate the REST of the defense into a group that will ultimately be able to be a top 10 scoring D.

Last edited:
Butler was matched up in man coverage on Kearse in the SuperBowl. Kearse is not a massive WR, but he's not a smurf. 6'1" 209 lbs.

Before Revis and Browner left, I thought that one of Belichick's challenges would be getting Butler on the field more. He's earned playing time by making plays. It's difficult for the coaches to NOT play him.

It's a GREAT problem to have. A rookie CB on a rookie contract making big league plays in pressure situations. Who wouldn't want that "problem"?

One slight silver lining to the Dennard/Ryan/Butler/Arrington group is experience. They've all seen appreciable playing time, including playoff competition.

He made a great play in the SB that's it. To assume he will be a great CB for us is just that an assumption. One play that was beaten into him to make in practice doesn't mean he is our starter. I hope he is great but until then you go trade for a starting CB at least.

Terribly unfair observation. He made about 4-5 plays in the second half alone. In fact, Seattle didn't score again after Butler was inserted into the lineup, despite being purposefully targeted a couple of times. Hell, he may have had more passes defensed than Revis.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Some Comments on the Comments:

1. As other regulars at TC can attest, Butler was a guy who showed up right from the start. He was the guy who sent more spectators to their programs to find out who "that" guy was, than any other "camp body".

2. As someone has already said, "he was always around the ball". Even when the man he's covering catches the ball, he's tightly contesting the catch.

3. Before the great CB exodus, my thought was that he'd end up being the slot CB this year.

4. As it stands today, I'm fairly OK with our CB group. Butler, Ryan, Dennard, and Arrington is a lot better CB foursome than most Pats secondary of the last decade, especially if you consider the strong and flexible S group.

5. But as it stands today, the Pats' secondary is missing a skill set that would change it from being decent into being very good. And this skill set is adding some bigger stronger bodied physical CB than what is currently on the roster. Over the course of the season the Pats will play several 6'3+ WR's. Right now I don't see a good match up against them. It's not like they will run roughshod over us, but I don't see anyone shutting them down either.

6. Here's the problem with that, right off the top, there aren't any CB's left in FA or in the draft that are likely to fill that role right now. But all is not lost. Having that big bodied CB isn't the ONLY way to defend larger receiving targets. This is where total defense concepts are important. Using larger faster guys, ie Collins, in conjunction with hard rushes designed to make the QB make quick decisions, and over the top defenders to protect those larger defenders is just one way to make up for what we've lost.

7. Bottom line, there are not going to be any quick or easy answers. There is no one out there that we can get that will make it all better. No Revis, No Talib, etc.

This is going to take a leap of faith on our part that the projected improvements that we can make on the DL and LB group will in some way make up for the lack of this particular skill set We have to remember this is going to be a TEAM, and no team is flaw free. It's how well that they compensate for those flaws will determine how well they do.

Remember going into last season we all wondered how we will cover up the flaws we had at WR. Flaws we had on the OL. Flaws we perceived at LB, etc Over the course of the season, we saw how we compensated and it led to a superbowl.

We have no reason to believe that the OL won't be better this year. That with another season of working together the receiver group won't be better, or that the front 7 group won't be better with the additions of Easley, Mayo, and Sheard, plus the continuing development Collins, Siliga, and Hightower, etc

The secondary has taken a hit at CB, but its not like those who are there suck. It's just that they aren't as good as Revis, and none have the skill set that Browner had. BB has 5 months to figure out how he can integrate the REST of the defense into a group that will ultimately be able to be a top 10 scoring D.
A very good analysis of the Patriot's defensive situation. I expect them to be among the league's
worst at passing yardage allowed. Belichick always seems to be able to come up with something
to win games.

"That's it"? Way to identify yourself as someone who doesn't have any knowledge of the situation.

Terribly unfair observation. He made about 4-5 plays in the second half alone. In fact, Seattle didn't score again after Butler was inserted into the lineup, despite being purposefully targeted a couple of times. Hell, he may have had more passes defensed than Revis.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.
He even made a good play on that great catch

I expect Butler to get better. He is grounded and has the tools. I still remember him from pre-season....and i was wondering why we didnt see him alot during the season. I am hoping he builds on what he showed in the SB. BB has thrown so much cb crap on the wall...sooner or later something has to stick!

A very good analysis of the Patriot's defensive situation. I expect them to be among the league's
worst at passing yardage allowed. Belichick always seems to be able to come up with something
to win games.
That's an incredibly pessimistic view of our defense, Jim. There are a lot of teams that would love to have the 8 guys we currently have on our secondary's roster....and that's just in March.

Besides passing yardage has noting to do with how your defense s doing. You just have to go back to the 2011 D. That was a historically bad defense if you determine it by yardage alone. A secondary so thin Edelman had to play a key role, McCourty was having his worst year as a pro, and Chung was the best player in your secondary. It's no coincidence that it ranked 16th in scoring D, and ended up being the 3rd best D in the playoffs. Our front 7 and back 4 are infinitely better now. There is no need to be so pessimistic

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back