• other

Votes: 16 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

patsfan55

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Which team was your favorite? And I'm not saying which was the best. I'm saying which team did you enjoy being a fan of the most?
One thing that bothered me during this run was the fact that we became something we always hated: a pass-happy offense, that had a defense which was not always the most physical on the field.

I gotta say the 2007 Patriots. As much as I loved the '04 Patriots, nothing compares with Brady to Moss.

I went with 2001, but 2003 will always be special because of the Milloy trade, the injuries we over came, the goal line stand in Indy, Mike Cloud running all over Tennessee in a HELLUVA game that is underrated to this day, beating Peyton in the AFCCG.

2007 was the most entertaining for me. The whole chasing perfection, being hated by almost everyone not in New England, record setting season and just an incredibly explosive and entertaining offense.

Every week was entertaining, whether it was watching Brady and Moss work their magic in a blow out or it was Jabar Gaffney catching a game winning TD against Baltimore. I only wish the final game turned out a little different.

The out of nowhere underdogs of '01 is second for me.

i say 01
nobody gave us a shot, but for those of us watching the Pats week in and week out, we knew we had something special brewing, i dont think we realized how special, but as time went on we knew we had a contender
at the same time i dont think many of us realized how quick it would all come

This was difficult to choose but I say '04. Back to back was so sweet, and shutting down all the haters who didn't think we could repeat tasted even sweeter. Also that was the year we won overcoming all those injuries.

BTW, thanks for this poll! Really puts into perspective what a great franchise we all are fans of.

This was difficult to choose but I say '04. Back to back was so sweet, and shutting down all the haters who didn't think we could repeat tasted even sweeter. Also that was the year we won overcoming all those injuries.

BTW, thanks for this poll! Really puts into perspective what a great franchise we all are fans of.

injuries
another reason i though we would win this yr
03 and 04 we had tons of em
01 we had the one big one
and this yr it seemed like we didnt get too many
yes, more than 01, but definitely less than 03 and 04

side note: i am excited to see david thomas, sammy morris, and rosie colvin (perhaps) back in uniform

right now 07 and 01 have four a piece
thats kind of interesting
considering we didnt win this yr
i mean, it was still an amazing season, but winning the sb is the ultimate prize
i guess at the end of the day, we had a lot more enjoyable moments this yr than not, just too bad that the worst moment came at the most inoportune time

I picked 2001, it came out of nowhere and was a great story.

03 had the D, 01 the surprise. But 04 was, to me, the peak.

Of course i had a lot of favorites, but recently I think the 2005 team that lost to Denver. Incredible injuries, blood and guts all over the field from Dillon and others.

The Cat defense with Artrell Hawkins saving a season we had no right to expect the playoffs or even to play .500, quite honestly.

That's what it's all about to me.

We certainly played hard, but the Giants decided they were going to get to Brady no matter what and we refused to get physical and beat on them with a power running game for a while.

Yes, we pulled a Martz, to a degree.

I would definitely have to go with 2004.

I LOVED the 2003 team, and I have to ask myself, what is the difference between the 2004 team and the 2003 team. Simple answer: Corey friggin' Dillon. He was an absolute monster that year.

Not only that, but what I absolutely loved about them is that they REALLY could win any way possible. They won in a shootout against Indy. Then they were able to win in a rain/mud bowl against the Baltimore Ravens.

...and how 'bout that postseason run?!?

In the Divisional Round we played against the Colts, who don't forget were favorites to win even though the game was in Gillette. WHy, you ask?

1.) The Colts completely destroyed the Broncos.
2.) Manning was coming off an NFL record 49 TD passes. They had three receivers that had 1,000+ yards and 10+TDS each.
3.) The Pats were so depleted with injuries that Troy Brown was the main cover guy for Brandon Stokley.
4.) Ty Law and Richard Seymour were to miss the game.

...and the final score of the game? Pats 20, Indy 3. That's right, 3. Unbelievable. This is clearly my favorite Pats game aside from the Pats-Rams Super Bowl.

Then on to the AFC Championship Game. It set up perfectly just like a movie. The Pats were to face the Steelers, the team that earlier in the year ended their 21 game win streak, and was now a 15 game win streak themselves. oh, and what happened? The Pats put up 42 points against the Steelers #1 ranked defense.

I mean, c'mon, that was just unbelievable.

Oh, and we won the Super BOwl against a team that had made it to the conference finals for the fourth straight year, so they were not a flash in the pan type team.

I was a HUGE fan of the 97 Patriots too though. I REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted to see them win.

i voted 2007, but i also liked the mid 70's (76) teams alot. too bad the organization wasnt what it is now. if only kraft controlled the team since 1960:D

I would definitely have to go with 2004.

I LOVED the 2003 team, and I have to ask myself, what is the difference between the 2004 team and the 2003 team. Simple answer: Corey friggin' Dillon. He was an absolute monster that year.

Not only that, but what I absolutely loved about them is that they REALLY could win any way possible. They won in a shootout against Indy. Then they were able to win in a rain/mud bowl against the Baltimore Ravens.

...and how 'bout that postseason run?!?

In the Divisional Round we played against the Colts, who don't forget were favorites to win even though the game was in Gillette. WHy, you ask?

1.) The Colts completely destroyed the Broncos.
2.) Manning was coming off an NFL record 49 TD passes. They had three receivers that had 1,000+ yards and 10+TDS each.
3.) The Pats were so depleted with injuries that Troy Brown was the main cover guy for Brandon Stokley.
4.) Ty Law and Richard Seymour were to miss the game.

...and the final score of the game? Pats 20, Indy 3. That's right, 3. Unbelievable. This is clearly my favorite Pats game aside from the Pats-Rams Super Bowl.

Then on to the AFC Championship Game. It set up perfectly just like a movie. The Pats were to face the Steelers, the team that earlier in the year ended their 21 game win streak, and was now a 15 game win streak themselves. oh, and what happened? The Pats put up 42 points against the Steelers #1 ranked defense.

I mean, c'mon, that was just unbelievable.

Oh, and we won the Super BOwl against a team that had made it to the conference finals for the fourth straight year, so they were not a flash in the pan type team.

I was a HUGE fan of the 97 Patriots too though. I REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted to see them win.

our team this yr reminds me of that 04 colts team so much
yes, you can win with a great passing attack, but you hafta have the defense
the 04 defense wasn't the best of the sb wins, actually it was the worst, but it was definitely better than this years
defenses in sb years and this yr in order:
1: 2003
2: 2001
3: 2004
4: 2007

'01 because it's a cheesy sports movie that actually happened...

Prologue: Team loses 6 of last 8 games in 1999, missing the playoffs after 4 playoff-bound years, but a gradual slide each year, from 11-5 in '96 to 8-8 in '99. Team fires coach. Team hires coach portrayed as a defensive genius, but a questionable HC based on previous history. Coach's first draft includes a 6th round QB dubbed "the kid". Kid doesn't have the chops to seriously contend as the starter ("The Franchise" has that role locked up) or #1 backup, but coach sees potential and decides to keep him on the roster as an extremely rare 4th QB. As for coach's first season, team goes 5-11, but does show life, losing 10 of those 11 by 8 points or less...earning the dubious label as "the bad team nobody wants to play". In following offseason, coach makes some wholesale changes with the roster, bringing in 17 FAs. In the meantime, kid QB works his arse off and eventually moves up to #2 on the depth chart.

Act I - New kid on the block: Team loses first game. Team is losing 2nd game when The Franchise QB gets knocked out with a serious injury. In comes the kid who tries valiantly to rally the team to victory, but comes up short. At 0-2 and the untested kid at QB, the Pats are considered by many as the worst team in football. In his first start, the kid is eased into action with a cautious gameplan while the D comes up huge at home for the team's first win vs. Indianapolis. However, all that comes tumbling apart in the next game as the kid and team struggle against divisional stalwart Miami. At 1-3, the season is on the brink, heading into a showdown at home against a very good San Diego team. The kid shocks everyone with a 350yd performance and rallies the team late and in OT vs. the Chargers. Hey, this kid is good! Team rolls off two more wins on the road backed by the kid's good play and the D rallying behind him. The kid has his first stumble in Denver with a 4 INT game, but he and the team are able to get to 5-5, the last game being a well-fought loss against the league heavyweight Rams.

Act II - QB Controversy: The Franchise has healed enough to reclaim his starting job, but coach decides to stay with the hot hand. The kid does his best to validate coach's decision with a 4 TD game against New Orleans. The next game vs. the division-leading Jets, the kid struggles a bit early, but helps rally the team to a thrilling 17-16 victory. As the cold weather starts to kick in, the offense gets more conservative and the kid is asked to manage games much like he did in his first start. Maybe defenses were finally catching on, for he didn't look outstanding like he did earlier that year. Maybe The Franchise should get his job back afterall. However, the team was winning all of those games - ugly or not - and didn't want to mess with success so the kid kept the starting job.

In the meantime, strange things were happening elsewhere as the Jets blew a huge divisional game vs. Buffalo that put the Pats in the drivers seat for the AFC East title. And the mid-season AFC favorite Oakland was watching their 10-3 record fall apart as their kicker blew a game vs. Tennessee. After winning their 6th straight game, the 11-5 Pats found out on their flight back from Carolina that they snared the #2 seed in the AFC playoffs when the Jets beat Oakland with a 53yd FG as time expired, Oakland's 3rd straight loss. Not only had the Pats made the playoffs, they would be hosting a playoff game...the last game to be played in Foxboro Stadium.

(continued...)

Regards,
Chris

(...continued)

Act III - The Magical Title Run: Oakland came to town for the divisional playoff. The game was to be played in a snowstorm. Many pundits thought this would give the Pats a huge advantage, but as the game commenced, that proved not to be the case. The Raiders looked like the team more comfortable in the snow. The kid looked shaky in the first half. He started looking better in the 3rd quarter, but couldn't get the team into the endzone. The Raiders entered the 4th quarter up 13-3. Maybe The Franchise should have gotten his starting job back. Suddenly, the kid goes 9-for-9 on a drive culminated in his first rushing TD and the score is 13-10. The Raiders have a great shot to ice the game, but on 3rd-and-1 the Pats make a stop for the ages as Oakland punts, giving the Pats and the kid one more chance. The kid drives the team into Oakland territory, but as he's dropping back to pass he gets hit and fumbles the ball to Oakland, a horrible ending reminiscent of The Franchise getting stripped of the ball in Pittsburgh in 1997. Just as it seemed that the kid's magical run had ended, an obscure Tuck Rule is invoked, giving the Pats and the kid new life. The kid manages one more first down before giving way to his kicker to make a 45yd FG for the ages, considering the snowy conditions. His kick barely clears the crossbar and the Pats have tied the game at 13 with under a minute left. Even with two timeouts, Oakland decides to take its chances in OT. The Pats win the coin toss and Oakland never sees the ball. The kid goes 8-for-8 in OT, including a diving 4th-down catch and sets up a short FG to send them to Pittsburgh for the AFCCG.

The 13-3 Steelers were by far the AFC favorite for the Super Bowl. Their defense could bring heat with the best of them. Their OL and running game were superb. Running and defense - this team was built for championship football. The Pats were up for the task. They stuffed the Steelers running game and kept the QB in check. The Steelers D kept the kid in check for most of the 1st quarter. It seemed that the Pats would need to find points any way possible and they did as they returned a punt 55 yards for a TD and a 7-0 lead. In the 2nd quarter, the kid looked like he was settling in when suddenly he took a cheap shot to his ankle. He was hurt bad and had to come out. Now it was up to The Franchise to save the day. Immediately, The Franchise connected on 3 passes, the last one a TD that gave the Pats a 14-3 lead; What an opening performance by The Franchise in his return! The Steelers, desperate to get back in this game, drove deep into Pats territory for a FG attempt, but the Pats blocked it and returned it for a TD and a stunning 21-3 lead. In the 2nd half, the Steelers turned up the heat on both sides of the ball and within a 4-minute window closed to within 21-17. The Franchise was struggling, but made just enough plays to kill some clock and set up a FG that stretched the lead to a full TD. The Steelers tried in vain to tie the game, but their QB wasn't up to the task as he overthrew his WRs twice in the 4th quarter for critical INTs that sent the Pats onto SB36 against the heavily favored 14-2 Rams, the last team they had lost to that year.

The big question leading up to SB36 was whether The Franchise would get the start or the kid would be healthy enough to reclaim the starting job. If the coach was looking for an injury excuse to start The Franchise, he had it, but decided that the team was in better hands with the kid. When the game started, the star-studded Rams were introduced player-by-player, but the Pats decided to get introduced as a team, reflecting their "all for one" mentality. The Pats knew they weren't going to shut down the Rams' offense, so they at least hoped to slow it down. In the meantime, the Pats needed to find points however they could. The Rams were able to move the ball, but couldn't put it into the endzone and had to settle for a 3-0 lead. In the meantime, the Pats were able to move the ball and play a field-position game, but really didn't show signs of lighting up the scoreboard so they desperately needed points by other means. Those points came on an INT return and a fumble that was returned deep into Rams territory that the kid converted with a TD pass just before halftime for a surprising 14-3 lead. The defense continued to make plays in the 3rd quarter, returning an INT into Rams territory that got converted into a FG and a 17-3 lead. The Pats' defense was playing superb and the kid was doing his job of managing the game, not turning the ball over and killing some clock. The Pats looked like they were going to win the Super Bowl!

Then it all started to fall apart in the 4th quarter. First the Rams scored to pull within 17-10, made more painful by a 4th-down fumble returned for a TD nullified by a (correct) holding penalty on the Pats, giving the Rams new life at the Pats' goalline. The Pats couldn't move the ball at all on offense, forced to punt it back to the Rams repeatedly. The Rams continued to drive and the Pats had to make some huge plays to sack the Rams out of FG range. With just over a few minutes left, the Pats had the ball and a chance to run out the clock, but failed miserably with a 3-and-out. A horrendous punt put the Rams in business 55 yards from paydirt at the two-minute warning. The Rams wasted no time against the tired Pats defense and tied the game at 17 with 1:30 to go as the exhausted Pats missed several tackles on the game-tying play. A poor kick return put the Pats in business at their own 17 yard line with no timeouts. Announcers speculated that the Pats should take a knee and try their chances in OT. Coach and the kid thought otherwise...

1st down: Kid is almost stripped of the ball, but smartly uses two hands to secure it and then dumps it off for a short gainer.

2nd down: Another dumpoff for the first down.

1st down: Spike to stop the clock.

2nd down: Kid throws a dumpoff to his RB in the left flat who jukes inside the defender, then races to the 1st-down marker and reaches with the ball for the sideline to stop the clock as a LB is trying to pull him back with all of his might. Replays show that he got the ball out of bounds while his knee was two inches above the ground. If he didn't stop the clock on that play, the Pats had decided to kneel out the clock and force OT.

1st down: Jailbreak blitz by the LB and SS! The kid knows the play is dead, but can't afford to take a sack or get called for intentional grounding, so he sprints to his right to get outside the tackle box and throws the ball out of bounds to stop the clock.

2nd down: Keeping in extra TEs to avoid the jailbreak from the previous play, the kid has time to find his favorite WR on a crossing route for a catch-and-run out of bounds deep in Rams territory. Holy cow, the Pats are in long FG range!

1st down: Kid throws a safe, short pass to make the FG more manageable.

2nd down: Spike the ball to stop the clock with 7 seconds left.

3rd down: The hero of the Raiders snow game comes on to kick a 48yd FG to win the Super Bowl for these underdog Pats. Visions of the Bills' "wide right" kick in SB25 are going through the minds of Pats fans everywhere. Here's the snap. The hold. The kick...boom! Right down the middle! It's good, and would have been good from 58 yards. The game is over. The Pats are Super Bowl champions. The kid is seen on the sidelines telling The Franchise, "We won!"

Epilogue: The kid had won over hearts in NE, for everyone inside and outside the Pats organization knew they had someone special. The Franchise was traded to avoid any QB controversy. The team struggled in its title defense the following year, but knew that with a bit of retooling that the kid could take that team places longtime Pats fans never thought possible. The team reloaded through key FA signings and the draft to win the next two SBs, setting some NFL records in the process and the kid joined the ranks of the all-time greats. A few years later the kid would throw an NFL record 50 TDs, be voted league MVP and lead the Pats to a 16-0 regular season and a Super Bowl berth, where in a bit of irony they were upset in a manner much like they had upset the Rams. Despite that setback, the kid still holds true to his motto, "My favorite title is the next one." Future titles are definitely within reach. Pats fans look forward to what the kid will do next.

Regards,
Chris

Last edited:
I love the this year!!!!!!!! except for the end. That sucked!

2007 all the way, to many good players breaking records to not be, plus every player was likeable.

2004 was the best, IMO (2007 could have been ...), but I'd say 2003. Not as talented as some others, but those guys just absolutely would not lose and did whatever it took to win. high-scoring games, low-scoring games, offense, defense, special teams - whatever it took, once they got rolling, they were impossible to beat. It was the team that most defined what Patriot football is all about, IMO.

(...continued)
3rd down: The hero of the Raiders snow game comes on to kick a 48yd FG to win the Super Bowl for these underdog Pats. Visions of the Bills' "wide right" kick in SB25 are going through the minds of Pats fans everywhere. Here's the snap. The hold. The kick...boom! Right down the middle! It's good, and would have been good from 58 yards. The game is over. The Pats are Super Bowl champions. The kid is seen on the sidelines telling The Franchise, "We won!"

every day walking to work i walk through tarring that looks just like field goal posts, and i recite gil's call in my head:
"lonie paxton will snap, ken walter will hold. snap...ball down...kick is up, kick is on the way, and it is.............GOOOOOOD, IT'S GOOOD, IT'S GOOOOD, ADAM VINATIERI BOOTS A 48 YARD FIELD GOAL, AND THE GAME IS OVER, AND THE PATRIOTS ARE SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS, THE PATRIOTS ARE SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS...THE BEST TEAM IN THE NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE!"

damn, reading these made me cry, thinkin back to my favorite moments ever as a sports fan, thanks chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back