PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is your #1 key to this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
BelichickFan said:
Ernie Adams, baby. Our secret weapon. Belichick's Belichick.

Tell me what they're going to do before they do it. You've got 6 weeks. Thanks, man."

He probably got it done in 2 weeks.

So, far no one seems to agree with me theat the #1 Key to the game is protecting Brady.

The #1 key in my estimation is to not let Denver get a lead early. Keep the fans out of the game as much as possible.

Defense - stop the run, especially on first down.

2nd and 5 to short will create situations that will kill us in the long run.

On offense - Mistake free football... our run need only keep the Broncos D honest - short, ball control passes and the absence of turnovers should provide us with all the offense we need if the D takes care of the run.

No disrespect to Plummer, who is a serviceable QB, but if this comes down to a QB vs. QB battle, we will win.

JoeSixPat said:
No disrespect to Plummer, who is a serviceable QB, but if this comes down to a QB vs. QB battle, we will win.

Unfortunately, it never does.

You guys are kidding me right, the #1 key to this game is to score more points then they do:D

PatsRI said:
You guys are kidding me right, the #1 key to this game is to score more points then they do:D
I didn't think of that one.

Kindly disregard this thread.

BelichickFan said:
Ernie Adams, baby. Our secret weapon. Belichick's Belichick.
"OK, Ernie, this is what I want you to do. Go and look at everything that Shanahan and Dungy teams have ever done. I mean every play. Compile it all in that brain of yours and spit out the results. Tell me what they're going to do before they do it. You've got 6 weeks. Thanks, man."

Yep. I agree completely with this. Especially as it applies to Denver -- a team the Pats really haven't matched up well against. My sense is that the Broncos are one team that Belichick/Adams have never really figured out and I'm sure Belichick would like to change that.

With Indy, I think the assignment was probably more focused on how Indy has adjusted this year to teams using the Pats "gameplan" and what different vulnerabilities those adjustments may have exposed. For example, San Diego was successful pressuring Manning -- something that had not worked for the Pats in the past. I'm guessing that Belichick/Adams would like to understand the weaknesses San Diego exploited (San Diego appeared to take advantage of Indy's blocking schemes).

On defense, I think the #1 goal should be to shut down Rod Smith. Have Samuel play him tight with over the top coverage from Wilson or Hawkins. The next priority should be to contain the run with our front 7. I think that to completely shut down their running game, we would need to commit the strong safety up front, which would expose our secondary to play action passes. If we can just contain the run and make them play a lot of third-and-4+, the defense will be in good shape.

On offense, I think the priority should be to establish a solid running game. It seems most people here are underestimating their pass defense. With Champ Bailey back to full health, it will be much more difficult to pass on them in their house. I also think that screens can play a big part in this game. If their defense becomes over zealous and aggressive, we can burn them with well-executed screens to Faulk and Pass

Last edited:
PATSNUTme said:

So, far no one seems to agree with me theat the #1 Key to the game is protecting Brady.

I will agree with you, as important as it is that we stop the Bronco running game, giving Brady time allows us to overcome any defensive breakdowns. As long as Brady is allowed the time to execute the game plan, we will be able to score as much as we need to in order to overcome adversity. If Brady is harrassed, then baaad things could happen. You may very well be right, give Tom Brady the protection and he will pick the Broncos apart.

PatsRI said:

Beat me to it. Curses!! :)

no turnovers !

No turnovers what so ever and SCORE FIRST,, ie 7 points. My money is Denver turnover at least 3. Protect Tom is also essential but that always is anyway in a game. This game is about being in front and putting pressure on Plummer to throw. Cheers and good luck. GO PATS.
PEACE. Abdul

As a diehard Broncos fan, I believe I have seen pretty much everything and therefore know where they are vulnrable. I agree with the importance to stop Denver's run but even if you end up giving up 150 yards there, I don't see Denver being able to score more than 21 points against your tough defense. At the very most, it will take time off the clock but not necessarily put points on the board. That being said, I agree with the person who said the most important thing was to protect Brady. If the pats do this on even a semi-consistant basis, they will score at least 24 points and ultimately get the win.

PATSNUTme said:
Up until last night, my #1 key was containing Denvers run.

However, thinking about how Denver got to Tom in the first half of last game, I changed my mind. They were all over him using straight up rushes or blitz packages.

My #1 key to the game is to keep Tom clean. We have to stop the pressure from Devers D-line and pick up the blitzes. Corey is one of the best RB for picking up the blitz. So, even if he doesn't have a great game running the ball, his blitz pick up should be vital.

I expect the Pats to have both Graham and Watson on the field at the same time. Throw to the TE's to keep the LB's honest and allow the Pats to run the ball. Keep the Broncos offense off of the field.

aabtec said:
I expect the Pats to have both Graham and Watson on the field at the same time. Throw to the TE's to keep the LB's honest and allow the Pats to run the ball. Keep the Broncos offense off of the field.

I hope so. Graham has not been a factor since his shoulder injury. But, if he's getting better, that will be huge.

aabtec said:

pressue plummer. put him on the run. he has panic attacks under pressue and throws punts in the air. trust me. we did it. also watch for bootleg and nakeds. his favorite play. need a spy here to stay home or he will burn you. we know.

It is easier said than done to be sure but it is all about stopping the run.

If you stop the run, you not only take away the run, you take away the passing game the Broncos like to use as well. If you take away the run, the play action, the bootlegs, rollouts, etc. all go away for Denver. Jake would have to drop back and throw from the pocket which he just isn't very good at.

PATSNUTme said:

I am sort of with you, Nut. My thought is ball protection. No interceptions and no fumbles. I would like to see a couple of quick hits by Brady to put the Ponies on their backs early.

kcvet said:
pressue plummer. put him on the run. he has panic attacks under pressue and throws punts in the air. trust me. we did it. also watch for bootleg and nakeds. his favorite play. need a spy here to stay home or he will burn you. we know.

Coaches Belichick and Mangini thank you

they had a mental block and were unable to get their game plan together without these points

:bricks:

BelichickFan said:
Regarding pressure on Brady, that's the #1 thing although it's not my #1 key because I'm not worried about it. I don't have the tape of the first Denver game but that was just Kaczur's 3rd game at LT and we had Pass as the starting RB. Kaczur has now started 11 games since then so he's much more comfortable at LT and working with Mankins so blitzing and general pass rush should bother him (them) less. Add to that an actual run threat with Dillon/Faulk (I know Pass did well in that Denver game but he was no threat going into the game, as soon as they saw him in I doubt they were thinking run much) and I'm not worried about pressure. Looking at the Jacksonville stats, I'm shocked to see they had 4 sacks because I don't remember them. But Jacksonville is among the league leaders in sacks and we generally protected Brady very well. Denver is near the bottom in sacks and I expect the now veteran left side to do fine and I hope Denver brings extra guys. That said, the OL will have some problems with communication due to noise but overall they should be fine.

No doubt for me, the #1 key is stopping the run. Sure, Plummer has had a good season and making them pass plays into our biggest weakness, defending the pass. But I'm confident we'll make enough plays if we get them into 3rd and 5+ consistently, especially as we won't need our #3 and #4 CB in too much and that's our biggest weakness.
I invite you to visit "Jax: Abbreviated Break Down" where I report that Tommy's sacks were mostly coverage sacks, he consistently held the ball 4-5 seconds before being sacked. :eek: Further, Mankins was a force and was all over making plays and hitting people. :singing:

Duh Box's quays to da game:

1. Dominate the Line Of Scrimmage:
- Ram Dillon down their throats, use Ashworth and the TE's to beat up on their front seven. Force them to play 8 in the box.
- Faulk them, no lube.
- Willie, Wilfork, and Colvin; set the edge and seal the middle.

2. Field Position:
- The coverage units need to be disciplined in their lanes.
- NO HOLDING PENALTIES - NO BLOCKS IN THE BACK - KEEP YOUR GOAT BRAINED HEADS IN THE GAME
- KR/PR run North and South.

3. Hit somebody.

Key to the game: Score first. Everything else falls into place if playing with a lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back