PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is your #1 key to this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Up until last night, my #1 key was containing Denvers run.

However, thinking about how Denver got to Tom in the first half of last game, I changed my mind. They were all over him using straight up rushes or blitz packages.

My #1 key to the game is to keep Tom clean. We have to stop the pressure from Devers D-line and pick up the blitzes. Corey is one of the best RB for picking up the blitz. So, even if he doesn't have a great game running the ball, his blitz pick up should be vital.

PATSNUTme said:
Up until last night, my #1 key was containing Denvers run.

However, thinking about how Denver got to Tom in the first half of last game, I changed my mind. They were all over him using straight up rushes or blitz packages.

My #1 key to the game is to keep Tom clean. We have to stop the pressure from Devers D-line and pick up the blitzes. Corey is one of the best RB for picking up the blitz. So, even if he doesn't have a great game running the ball, his blitz pick up should be vital.

Wilfork CANNOT allow Nalen to single block him in the run game. If Nalen can consistently handle Wilfork 1-on-1, the Patriots can't win.

I think the Patriots key's to the game is to start fast. No huddle, and keep the pressure on Denver's defense and offense, they must dictate the game. In last years AFC game the Pats struck first and often, they made the Steelers play a faster game and caused there defense to adjust more quickly which created more chances for bigger plays (the two branch bombs) and turnovers for the defense. The Steelers both on offense and defense where on their heels.

What does Denver and Pitt have in common the rushing attack, knock the legs from beneath them and make them play a faster game. If you think back we had the same type of game against Pitt during lasts year regular season 34-21 I believe. This year it was Denver 28-20 we had numerous players out. Denver weakness is there secondary; multiple WR's put Branch in the slot or in motion a couple of trick plays (flea flicker, half-back pass) will help also.

Denver loves to have Lynch in the box, play action and hit the TE up the middle. Just like Pittsburgh the Broncos love to bring the house, Pats must make them pay for their aggressiveness. Denver was close to last in sacks, they must bring more people to generate a pass rush. Say what you want, but when a team comes back from a 28-3 deficit and could of tied the game up something tells me the Pats understand what they need to do and how to accomplish it. Just my gut feeling we win 34 -24

BradyAlright said:
I think the Patriots key's to the game is to start fast. No huddle, and keep the pressure on Denver's defense and offense, they must dictate the game. In last years AFC game the Pats struck first and often, they made the Steelers play a faster game and caused there defense to adjust more quickly which created more chances for bigger plays (the two branch bombs) and turnovers for the defense. The Steelers both on offense and defense where on their heels.

What does Denver and Pitt have in common the rushing attack, knock the legs from beneath them and make them play a faster game. If you think back we had the same type of game against Pitt during lasts year regular season 34-21 I believe. This year it was Denver 28-20 we had numerous players out. Denver weakness is there secondary; multiple WR's put Branch in the slot or in motion a couple of trick plays (flea flicker, half-back pass) will help also.

Denver loves to have Lynch in the box, play action and hit the TE up the middle. Just like Pittsburgh the Broncos love to bring the house, Pats must make them pay for their aggressiveness. Denver was close to last in sacks, they must bring more people to generate a pass rush. Say what you want, but when a team comes back from a 28-3 deficit and could of tied the game up something tells me the Pats understand what they need to do and how to accomplish it. Just my gut feeling we win 34 -24

If we stop their run, which is #1 defensive priority - no way will the Broncos come close to 24 points.

Pats will win, easier than most think - 24-13

Regarding pressure on Brady, that's the #1 thing although it's not my #1 key because I'm not worried about it. I don't have the tape of the first Denver game but that was just Kaczur's 3rd game at LT and we had Pass as the starting RB. Kaczur has now started 11 games since then so he's much more comfortable at LT and working with Mankins so blitzing and general pass rush should bother him (them) less. Add to that an actual run threat with Dillon/Faulk (I know Pass did well in that Denver game but he was no threat going into the game, as soon as they saw him in I doubt they were thinking run much) and I'm not worried about pressure. Looking at the Jacksonville stats, I'm shocked to see they had 4 sacks because I don't remember them. But Jacksonville is among the league leaders in sacks and we generally protected Brady very well. Denver is near the bottom in sacks and I expect the now veteran left side to do fine and I hope Denver brings extra guys. That said, the OL will have some problems with communication due to noise but overall they should be fine.

No doubt for me, the #1 key is stopping the run. Sure, Plummer has had a good season and making them pass plays into our biggest weakness, defending the pass. But I'm confident we'll make enough plays if we get them into 3rd and 5+ consistently, especially as we won't need our #3 and #4 CB in too much and that's our biggest weakness.

BradyAlright said:
I think the Patriots key's to the game is to start fast.
You've got that right. Get a lead, make them throw, take the ooomph out of the crowd somewhat. I'd risk hurting Dillon's mental state by starting Faulk again, spreading it out, daring them to blitz when we have our WR, Watson and Faulk going out into the pass patterns.

Stop the run, stop the run! If they run on us it will be hard to win, just like in any game. Special teams will be big as well. I would love to see Hobbs break one, that would sting them pretty bad.

mgcolby said:
Special teams will be big as well. I would love to see Hobbs break one, that would sting them pretty bad.
Denver is 4th last in the league at defending kickoffs, allowing 25.3 per return. They are good defending punt returns, though, coming in at 10th best in the league.

My #1 key for the game is for the D to step up immediately. We stop them, especially on the run on the first 2 or so series, Plummer's bootleg becomes significantly less effective, and it will give our LB's much more room to control the flow of the game when Denver has the ball. I expect our offense to put up somewhere in the 20's in terms of points. It is up to our D to hold Denver below that number, and I think we are up to the challenge. The key matchup, for me, will be, however, our LB's (probably mostly Vrabel/Bruschi/Beisel) on their TE's, or any backs coming out of the backfield. We have to shut that down. I think we will. I know there is a prediction thread, but I haven't done it all year so I'll just post it here.

Pats 27, Broncos 17

Brady seals it with a solid drive in the middle of the 4th quarter to put us up 10, and the D ends it with a Denver 3 & out, allowing the Pats to run the clock out.

I'm thinking the key to this game is going to be red zone defense and limiting easy touchdowns. Last time we played the Broncos never had to settle for field goals. Pats offense is going to score points hopefully touchdowns. I don't think we can shut down this offense but if we keep them out of the endzone then we won't have to play a one dimensional catch up offense which will lead to interceptions.

#1 Key to winning game would be to stop the run w/ the front seven. Playaction killed the Pats last time they played the Broncos. If Wilson and Hawkins don't have to cheat up we should be able to limit their big plays.

I would expect one defensive priority will be to stop the run with the front seven. Whether we allow 100 or 150 running yards is not tge key issue. We just can't let them win the game on the ground.

The KEY to the game will be whether our defensive backs can limit the points as a result of big plays. The Broncos are certainly capable of stretching the field.
----------------------------------------------------------
And yes, the other KEY (as in every game) is to keep Brady's jersey clean.

I'm not worried about stopping the run as much as I am the long pass with our iffy secondary. If Denver hits a couple long ones, we're in big trouble. Samuel and Hobbs MUST have big games and we absolutely MUST get a good rush on Plummer. Their running game will get yards but that won't allow them to score quickly. I think the key is shutting down their passing game and having Brady light 'em up on the other side of the ball.

BradyAlright said:
I think the Patriots key's to the game is to start fast.

I agree. And, by "start fast", I don't necessarily mean completing a TD bomb for a quick score. We've been seeing too many 3 and outs on opening Pats possessions. Playing a tough team on the road, we need the Pats offense to move the ball on their opening drive and quiet the crowd a bit.

stop the run

limit mistakes

beat them up/outmuscle them

Getting the lead ... automatically tamps down the crowd somewhat, and enlists their OC in "helping to stop the run". Then, it becomes up to Jake to beat us.

It will take all the Pats have to beat this strong foe, on their chosen battlefield.

Teamwork

An overall solid performance by all units is the key - each unit feeding off the success of the previous unit and creating a total team strength that will carry the day.........

plan

stop the run- we need to force third and long situations, make Plummer create turnovers. The pass rush will force bad throws and therefore not allow for bombs.

run the ball- last game there was no run threat vs. Denver. They knew Tom was throwing and continually blitzed, but never sacked him once, although he was hit many times. This run possibility will open up the pass game. Look for a big night from Deion.

get ahead- force Denver to sit back and pass. Plummer will make mistakes.

We will win this game by stopping the run, first and foremost.

Big plays must be on our side, not theirs. With the crowd noise and Denver's good D, it's going to be hard to consistently grind out 10+ play drives for TDs. The Pats will likely need a cheapy TD (like Branch's 66yd catch in the 2003 game).

Look at all of the big road wins in the last 3 years (@Miami 2003, @Denver 2003, @Indy 2003, @Pittsburgh AFCCG 2004) and the one thing the Pats had in all of them was a long TD (or two). A road team needs those kinds of scores against a good opponent in order to win.

Conversely, those kinds of plays against the Pats will be deadly. Look at last week's Jax/Pats game. The game was played fairly tight, even when the Pats went up 14-3 (thanks to Andre Davis' fumble recovery). Then the Pats got the Watson long TD and the Asante INT TD and the rout was on.

Much like my reaction in last year's AFCCG when Branch caught the 60yd TD bomb for the early 10-0 lead, if the Pats do that to Denver, I'll sit back and go "this game is ours."

Regards,
Chris

Ernie Adams, baby. Our secret weapon. Belichick's Belichick.

It's been obvious for how long now that @ Indy and @ Denver were likely obstacles in our path.

I can see Belichick about 6 weeks ago talking to his pal Ernie in his office :

"OK, Ernie, this is what I want you to do. Go and look at everything that Shanahan and Dungy teams have ever done. I mean every play. Compile it all in that brain of yours and spit out the results. Tell me what they're going to do before they do it. You've got 6 weeks. Thanks, man."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes