PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is the winning formula in today's NFL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALP

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I ask this because I imagine that is what we want the Patriots to follow...

and yet now with the combine and the draft looming, it seems to me that many members here are actually citing needs which would in fact go against what many of us will inadvertedly see as one unique method at winning a superbowl

so, let us have the ideas, the last champion have been

10: Saints over colts
09: Steelers over cards
08: giants over patriots
07: colts over bears
06: steelers over seattle
05: pats over eagles
04: pats over panthers

i personally would like to look at last years superbowl in order to expose a winning formula, specifically not only because those two teams made the superbowl, because they were undefeated for most of the season, and both finished as the #1 seeds, which means that they were the two best teams for the whole season in the entire league, and also both at one point handily beat the #1 defense of the league (jets)

maybe its easy to see where i am heading with this...but its obvious offense is what will win a team a superbowl and reg season games today

an offense with an exceptional passing QB, and multiple great WR threats, including a pass catching TE, which only require a decent stable of rb's, and a decent o-line

the defense simply has to hold up its own a little bit, in Indy's case it came up with the plays when they were needed, in the case of the saints it was very dynamic, creating turnovers, which changed the game, otherwise it would have been an average defense

so guys......take it from here: what do we REALLY want this offseason

Re: What is the winning formula in Todays NFL?

DEFENSE and an offensive playmaker or two...

The new era of NFL football began after SB 38, so I think that Patriots vs Panthers should be omitted from that list. The "Competition Committee" changed the NBA, er NFL to limit contact, changing the dynamic forever, as I think we're all aware.

all dose super bowl. teams had good QB's and good pass rush. so throwing the football and being abel to stop. the other team from throwing on you is pretty much the key to winning.

It's been a while since I made an in-depth list so I figured I'd do it here. My 5 keys to success in the NFL:

1. Run the ball well
2. Pass the ball well
3. Defend the run well
4. Defend the pass well
5. Limit mistakes

Execute these 5 points and you will see results

Random luck is the key to winning a Superbowl. It is the same strategy lottery winners use. Buy the ticket and wait for your number to be called.

1) Acquire a competent Quarterback
2) Acquire a Pass-rushing front 7
3) Acquire 3-4 middle ranged or better receivers
4) Put Steps 1&2&3 on the field
5) Pray to God you're not a playing a Manning so the refs don't hate you.

It's been a while since I made an in-depth list so I figured I'd do it here. My 5 keys to success in the NFL:

1. Run the ball well
2. Pass the ball well
3. Defend the run well
4. Defend the pass well
5. Limit mistakes

Execute these 5 points and you will see results

i disagree, i also used to think that the runnin game both offensively and defensively in the NFL were paramount to winning a game, they are not

cold hard football facts will show u this, wining and losing does NOT depend on the running game, but the passing game now adays

look at the superbowl, the colts were running it with reckless abandon, and yet still lost

the runningame is nigh important in the nfl right now...if u can pass, u can dominate

The winning formula used to be run the ball well in order to open up the passing game, and stop the run in order to force the opponent into predictable passing situations. In terms of building the roster, spreading the money from top to bottom rather than being too top heavy seemed to work well.

With the recent rule changes (excuse me, points of emphasis) the winning formula is now all about the passing game. On offense it's a line that can pass block and on defense it's an effective pass rush that can quickly get pressure on the quarterback.

The old axiom about a good running game for cold weather playoff games is overstated at this point. Look at how many teams built for speed and the passing game made the playoffs this year, and the low percentage of traditional cold weather / defense / running game teams didn't make the playoffs, or last long if they did.

The new thing that's all the rage is a good defense and a balanced offense...oh wait.:)

i disagree, i also used to think that the runnin game both offensively and defensively in the NFL were paramount to winning a game, they are not

cold hard football facts will show u this, wining and losing does NOT depend on the running game, but the passing game now adays

look at the superbowl, the colts were running it with reckless abandon, and yet still lost

the runningame is nigh important in the nfl right now...if u can pass, u can dominate

I'm not even going to say it...45 total yds-2.8 yd avg.:rolleyes:

Actually the one thing you can almost always rely on is winning the turnover battle and then capitalizing on those turnovers.

Same as it has been since the game was invented I suspect...

Namely: Control the LOS on both sides of the ball.......Course it helps to have play-makers on offense and defense.... Not scrubs........ :cool:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Score more points than the other guy?

Last edited:
Saints have a blueprint that works. It looks a lot like the Pats blueprint except they have better personnel at the moment. Ballsy playcalls by Payton in the Superbowl too. What a hell of an onsides kick to start of the 2nd half! :D

I'm not even going to say it...45 total yds-2.8 yd avg.:rolleyes:

Seriously I remmber addai rinning so much and so well

Are we talking about just winning a Superbowl? Or are we talking about getting there as well.

The Saints had a decent running game, they were certainly a top 10 team. I'm not sure about the Steelers the year before but the Giants also had a very decent running game in 07 and the Steelers in 05 too.

The Colts won the Superbowl with their running game in 06, the Steelers in 05 too.

so, let us have the ideas, the last champion have been

10: Saints over colts
09: Steelers over cards
08: giants over patriots
07: colts over bears
06: steelers over seattle
05: pats over eagles
04: pats over panthers

Other posters have pointed out a lot of things that seem to go into the mix: front seven on D, Strong O line, good pass rush, decent running game, top QB, limited turnovers.

What strikes me most, though, about each of those teams is that they were each playing their best ball in the Playoffs and they brought their "A" game to their SB win. The Colts, for example, in 2006 played their best against the Pats in the AFCCG and in the SB, but this year never really got untracked in the Playoffs, probably because they effectively shut down over a month earlier.

The second thing that strikes me is something that another poster pointed out as well: a little bit of Luck. Pats' fans don't need to be told about that after the "Magic Helmet" catch; Cards fans still can't believe that Santonio Holmes stayed in bounds--skill? for sure, but his foot could just as well have landed a few centimeters the other way; and, let's be honest, we were lucky when Donovan had a brain fart and wasted the clock towards the end of SB XXXIX. The Saints played the game of their lives this year.

Last edited:

Seriously I remmber addai rinning so much and so well

We probably needed a better passing game that year. That would have done it since that's all that matters.:bricks:

if u can pass, u can dominate

Colts probably needed a more prolific quarterback too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back