PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is the reason that a talented NCAA guy becomes a draft BUST?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
What is the makeup of the reason that we have high profile type collegiate guys that were totally dominant in NCAA Football but show absolutely NOTHING in pro ball?

What IYO is the MAIN REASON a player can go from all american top collegiate athlete to a total worthless dud in Pro Ball (Ryan Leaf,Rick Mirer,Rashaan Salaam ect)

1) Cannot mature from the College game to the Pro Game both physically,mentally and quicker?

2) Lacks desire and heart to play once the big dollars are in his pocket,no will to succeed?

3) Played well because he was at a great college with great coaches and fit in but goes pro to a bad team with bad coaches?

4) Always had players in college around him that made plays as much as he did but now must be a standout on his own and just cannot be the guy that was expected?

5) Simply does not have enough talented players around him to be as good in the pros as he was in college?

Or do you have some othe reasons behingd the reason why a guy can look so good for 4 years and total crap once NCAA graduation is over?

Usually what happens is a college hotshot who's been treated like a rock star his whole life gets slapped in the face for the first time, realizes he's on a whole different level competing against grown men without mercy, feels the guaranteed cash burning a hole in his pocket and decides his pride isn't worth the pain.

few reasons

1. They dont work hard enough to improve and translate

2. They were overrated in college..maybe good system..good team. Caught in hype..was only average maybe but looked better because system

3. Coaching..sometimes the coaching doesnt go well and they dont learn properly..maybe a coach does something for them to lose confidence.

4. Bad fits..some players are just bad fits for certain teams

the guy still has talent usually..just cant put it together at the next level

There is an old story about baseball that goes something like this:

Young minor league pitcher gets lit up. He is beside himself after and says to his manager "I don't understand. In high school I was a star. I struck out 8 of every 9 guys I faced. Now I can't get anyone out." The manager replied, "That 9th guy you didn't strike out, he's the only guy here."

Same goes for the NFL - only the best are here and excelling against future accountants, stock brokers, and grocery clerks in college means nothing in the pros.

So many athletic freaks can rely on inherent skill to succeed in the NCAA, so they never develop fundamentally. That sh!t doesn't fly on Sundays -- everybody's as skilled as you are. RBs, WRs, and CBs in particular get trapped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back