Other DBs (dime etc): ???

Your comments?

Last edited:
Oh Patsfans.com gurus...

Is it...

Safeties: McCourty, Chung
Corners: Arrington, Moore

?

Some combo of these 4 to be the 'starters'. Edelman nickel back. Ihedigbo the 3rd safety. Hopefully very little of Molden/Brown I can just picture some QB lofting up a crappy pass and one of them bailing them out with a horrible penalty.

My guess...

FS:
1. Chung
2. Brown

SS:
1. Ihedigbo
2. McCourty

CB:
1. McCourty
2. Arrington
3. Moore (Nickel)
4. Molden
5. Edelman

Different ones for different games. The surest fixed points, health permitting, are:

Chung at safety
Arrington somewhere (almost surely CB)
McCourty somewhere

Some combo of these 4 to be the 'starters'. Edelman nickel back. Ihedigbo the 3rd safety. Hopefully very little of Molden/Brown I can just picture some QB lofting up a crappy pass and one of them bailing them out with a horrible penalty.

It might work: Chung-McCourty Arrington-Moore

I hope I dont see Sergio or Molden, unless we are in dire straits... I still cringe on the pass-int by Sergio in the end-zone, in those 2 games...

My guess is the "starters" will be McCourty and Arrington at corner, and Chung and Ihedigbo at safety. That said we'll see lots of Edelman in the nickel, Some McCourty at safety, and a good bit of Moore at both corner and safety.

It might work: Chung-McCourty Arrington-Moore

That's the lineup right there. Edelman as the nickel (as I have said in another thread, I think this guy could be a dynamic free safety). Ihedigbo as the backup safety.

Not exactly a star-studded group, but they just have to survive and advance.

most of it really depends on what they finally decide to do w/ McCourtey...i liked what i saw, but bruschi didnt as much

if McCourtey plays CB:

safeties: chung with mix moore/ihendigbo

cb: devin and arrigonton, nickel is edelman, and 4th cb is moulden

otherwise

safeties: chung with mccourtey, mix of moore and ihendigbo

cb: moulden and arrignton, nickel edelman, and 4th is other guy, NOT nate jones

My guess is the "starters" will be McCourty and Arrington at corner, and Chung and Ihedigbo at safety. That said we'll see lots of Edelman in the nickel, Some McCourty at safety, and a good bit of Moore at both corner and safety.

That sounds good. I don't recall Moore getting significant time at safety but I could be wrong with the way the door was revolving there. I'm wondering if McCourty might end up being a better free safety than corner.

Last edited:
It's pretty clear that BB doesn't see a set position for pretty much any of the DBs, save for maybe Arrington and Molden who I think have only played corner. I'd like to see the starting four DBs be Arrington, McCourty, Moore, and Chung with a healthy dose of Edelman and Ihedigbo along the way. I'm not a big fan of Jones or Brown, but I absolutely can't stand seeing Molden on the field anymore.

My guess is it will be a rich mix, hoping to confuse the opposition as much as possible.

Moore needs to be on the field more than Ihedigbo, Jones, Molden, etc.

It seems one of the key decisions is:

o McCourty at S and Moore at CB, or
o McCourty at CB and someone else (Ihedigbo? Brown?) at S, with Moore in sub packages

Last edited:
I like Moore better at safety than corner, although that may just be because it's easier to see his breakdowns at corner because he's in the frame. Aside from some focus on the big hit instead of the sure tackle, I thought he did fairly well at safety before. Still, absent the coach's tape, it's hard to adjudicate.

I think we may see McCourty back at corner with Ighedibo at Safety and Moore/Edelman as nickel and dime backs. My guess is that they didn't know how long Chung would hold-up last week, so Ighedibo practiced at Chung's safety spot and they entrusted the other role to McCourty. With the Bill's relatively weak receiving corps after Stevie Johnson, they thought they could get by with a weaker CB group, but I don't think they go that route in the playoffs. I feel pretty good about that group of six, although I'm sure we'll see a little Molden, whereas Brown won't see the field unless somebody gets hurt and Jones might be the odd man out.

Of course, this all assumes that Earthwind Moreland isn't signed.

Different ones for different games. The surest fixed points, health permitting, are:

Chung at safety
Arrington somewhere (almost surely CB)
McCourty somewhere

I think this is just about all we know at this point.

There will likely be a combo of many different looks depending on base and subpackage formations.

Different looks for different teams and situations, as you stated.

We could debate this up until the kickoff next Saturday, and probably even all throughout the game.

There are just too many variables.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye