PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is the Patriots' salary cap status?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warhorse

On the Roster
Reaction score
What is the Patriots' salary cap status when your own RFAs and UFAs are taken into account. As a Colts fan, I see Polian signing our guys before the CBA is finished because of the restructuring of Manning and Harrison that was supposed to be legit. And he seemed like he was the only GM doing anything in line with major signings. Since the arbitrator ruling, we have been in limbo, unless the cba gets done, then we'll be back under the cap.

Are you guys thinking you will be major players in free agency?

Warhorse said:

No way...and for reasons that have little to do with cap space. Other than targeted acquistions in the post feeding frenzy period, shopping in free agency is for fools. It's all but guaranteed to result in overpaying players, something that you cannot do under the salary cap.

The Pats are under the cap and can free up more money as they need as they need it, if the value is right on signing their own free agents or other free agents. The only thing I can see them doing quickly is signing a kicker to replace Adam Vinatieri -- if the right guy comes along.

So the Pats...

So the Pats are similar to the Colts in that they basically use the draft to find their kind of player for their system and fill in the holes when necessary with a middle of the road free agent?

I think the Colts biggest problem with that scenerio is we give so much money to retain our own players when they reach free agency that we are always up against the salary cap ceiling.

Warhorse said:
So the Pats are similar to the Colts in that they basically use the draft to find their kind of player for their system and fill in the holes when necessary with a middle of the road free agent?

I think the Colts biggest problem with that scenerio is we give so much money to retain our own players when they reach free agency that we are always up against the salary cap ceiling.

You certainly give so much to a select few...a third of your cap is tied up this year in triplets - only one of the identities has changed.

We are fortuante (or perhaps planned better) in that we have no RFA's this year requiring mid or high tenders. You have June and Mathis who emerged from the 6th and 5th rounds and whom you can't afford to lose so Polian has tendered them mid and high. Next year the crisis won't only be Freeney, though if no deal is reached June and Mathis will remain RFA Colts a lot longer than they planned. If a deal is reached that stipulates cash over cap limits resigning all three could be a problem given the resources tied up in the triplets and their supporting offensive cast.

Warhorse said:
What is the Patriots' salary cap status when your own RFAs and UFAs are taken into account. As a Colts fan, I see Polian signing our guys before the CBA is finished because of the restructuring of Manning and Harrison that was supposed to be legit. And he seemed like he was the only GM doing anything in line with major signings. Since the arbitrator ruling, we have been in limbo, unless the cba gets done, then we'll be back under the cap.

FYI - The Colts have a positive cap adjustment of $250,000 so they can commit $94,763,200, rather than $94,513,000 to the cap. Every bit helps:)

When the time comes...

When the time comes for Mathis and June to hit free agency, I believe we will only keep June. We have a Mathis clone on our team already in Jonathan Welsh. Considering we also just resigned Raheem Brock, I believe the writing is on the wall for Mathis next year. Also I don't see Cato June as being irreplacable either. If someone offered us a 2nd or 3rd round pick this year, I bet we would jump at it. Linebackers are basically just system guys that we throw into lineup. We had Mike Peterson, we wouldn't pay him, gone. We had Marcus Washington, we wouldn't pay him, gone. Brackett came in last year as a first time starter and led the team in tackles and we signed him to a 4 year contract worth 10 million which is a good deal for us. I'd say Thornton is gone but Gardner should step in and do pretty good considering he's been a backup for 2 years.

Mathis got a 1st and 3rd tender because pass rushers are a premium in the NFL, but if we were offered a 2nd round pick or more, I believe he would be gone. We keep the irreplacable players and rotate out the guys around them.

I just wish all our money wasn't tied up in a handful of players so we could have scary depth like the Patriots and the Steelers.

Warhorse said:
What is the Patriots' salary cap status when your own RFAs and UFAs are taken into account.

I just updated
http://www.patscap.com

I am presuming that the Pats will make tender offers to all of their ERFAs and am also presuming that the LTBE incentives of Light, Hochstein and Gorin no longer exist.

DefenseRules said:
Miguel you still have Seymour's salary listed at $5,020,000. The NFLPA website shows that his salary for 2006 is $2,020,000. Did they make a mistake? Just curious.
http://www.nflpa.org/Members/playerProfile.asp?ID=30098

Good news - My numbers are now in the ballpark of Clayton's report that the Patriots were $4 million under the cap on 3/2.
Bad news - If Seymour's 2006 renumeration is just (???) $2 million, I fully expect him to hold out. If there is no CBA extension, the Patriots will be hard pressed to meet Seymour's contract demands with greatly increasing his 2006 cap number.

Miguel said:
Good news - My numbers are now in the ballpark of Clayton's report that the Patriots were $4 million under the cap on 3/2.
Bad news - If Seymour's 2006 renumeration is just (???) $2 million, I fully expect him to hold out. If there is no CBA extension, the Patriots will be hard pressed to meet Seymour's contract demands with greatly increasing his 2006 cap number.
Is't that somewhat questionable ? Given that the "secret deal" , the uncertainty of the CBA / cap , both this year and next ? This would not be the year for him to no show. I highly doubt, he nor his agent have enough solid information to make an intelligent decision regarding his future income potential and career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes