PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

what is the latest on Ty Law?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdmaverick

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't catch the entire show of Sportsdesk last night, but they built it up as "Ty Law Returning to the Pats?"

what did they have to say about him?

or at least what is the latest on the Ty Law situation

He's overpriced and overrated. I don't want him to get near the Gillette Stadium Home team locker room.

I agree...

dryheat44 said:
He's overpriced and overrated. I don't want him to get near the Gillette Stadium Home team locker room.

He would need "Jenny Craig" conditioning before I would sign him.

I'd take him. I love how he and Rodney work together.

I would love to have him back. We can work him back into the secondary rotation. Sure I like the progress of our secondary, but we always seem to have issues every year. I would love to see us using Ty Law instead of Duane Starks.

brdmaverick said:
I would love to see us using Ty Law instead of Duane Starks.

At the right price, I'd say "Amen" to that. Unfortunately, Mr. Law has always wanted to be shown the money (which is his perogative, it's his life, his living after all.)

Should be interesting to see what happens...

CT_Pats_Fan said:
At the right price, I'd say "Amen" to that. Unfortunately, Mr. Law has always wanted to be shown the money (which is his perogative, it's his life, his living after all.)

Should be interesting to see what happens...

We may have the cap money to show him this year.

hehe lots of replies but did anyone actually see what the show said about him?

desi-patsfan said:
hehe lots of replies but did anyone actually see what the show said about him?

You seriously don't expect to get a scintilla of real info from a show like that, do you? The net (e.g. HERE) is a far better source of info and speculation which is all there is regarding Law at this time.

He is currently talking with 6 teams and is visiting the titans Thursday

woah Ty Law overrated? Your going to call Ty Law overrated when he destroyed Indy for us..scored a TD in SB 36..a guy whos been labeled as a Shut Down corner..hes looking to get overpaid i agree because hes not as young as other shut down guys like Bailey but overrated in my eyes no..hes still a great player..can evantaully move to FS and i would take him back if he asked for $2 mill less

Ty Law would be a great FS...... I'd Love to have Law back on the team... He' should be just as revered as Adam was. He had much more to do with the SB wins then Adam did..... Don't trash TY.... He was and still is a fabulous DB...

Last edited:
Feep_FLA said:
Ty Law would be a great FS...... I'd Love to have Law back on the team... He' should be just as revered as Adam was. He had much more to do with the SB wins then Adam did..... Don't trash TY.... He was and still is a fabulous DB...

I'll trash him, and not feel the least bit bad about doing so. Was he a great corner? Yes, although not nearly as great as he thinks he was. Is he a great corner now? Hardly. If people are going to cite a INT touchdown in 2001 as proof of his greatness, then let's bring back Antowain Smith, Ken Walter, and JR Redmond back, too. Would he be the best corner on our team? Possibly. Remember what allowed Ty to be one of the best was that he was allowed to rough up receivers. With the new rules emphasis, I'm not sure he's better than Samuel, Warfield, Hobbs, or Gay.

But the bottom line is this: Ty is looking for a 10 million signing bonus and seven million a year. He might come down a little bit, but do you think that 1) He's going to go from that figure to 2 million or less?
2) That's a wise salary for a guy to play FS in a year or two?
3) Ty should be the highest paid player on our team?
4) After he called BBs best offer "insulting" two years ago, that BB is going to now willing to pay him more than he was then?
5) Is Ty worth 9 1/2 Asante Samuels, 10 Eric Warfields, 18 Randall Gays, or 20 Ellis Hobbes? If he's to play safety, that would be 14 Geno Wilsons.
6) Is signing Ty to an agreeable (to he and the Postons) contract the best use of the available salary cap dollars left, or would it be better to extend Branch, Samuel, Koppen, Graham, and/or Gay, or bringing in a linebacker such as Donnie Edwards?

I repeat, I don't want him near the Pats locker room.

Let's see last years total
Entire NE pats team 10 Ints
Ty Law 10 Ints,ProBowl,TD,FR
We are better with him.

yeah he cant hurt us at all but can come in and force turnovers and leadership at CB

jct said:
Let's see last years total
Entire NE pats team 10 Ints
Ty Law 10 Ints,ProBowl,TD,FR
We are better with him.

You realize, of course, that Ty ended up with 10 INTs because opposing offenses were picking on him because they didn't want to throw against the immortal David Barrett. I'll say it again so it sinks in. Opposing offensive co-ordinators decided to avoid David Barrett's side to throw to the guy Law was covering. Yes, I suppose it's better than not intercepting the passes that come your way (Ty does have Wide Receiver-calibre hands), but no really good cover corner gets 10 INTs a year. I don't know if they exist, but I'm looking for stats to see how many passes were completed to Ty's receiver, plus times his receiver was open but dropped the ball. Let's take those, plus his penalties (most penalized CB last year in the NFL), take into consideration how many times he was beaten for a TD, see how many INTs were the result of a QB putting a bad throw to a wide open receiver, or on a deflection, and THEN we'll see if his 10 INTs were impressive or not. I really don't know what the result will be, but I have an idea.

And we can't justify his salary regardless.

CB play wasn't our biggest problem last year. Let's allow our young CBs to develop instead of throwing big money at a retread.

lmao ^ throwing away from Barret? He got beat so many times in the first game and few others i watched. teams were underestimating Law's speed after his injury and he can jump in and pick it off..sorry but Law is 4-5 times better than Samuel and any other CB we currently have..Samuel is better suited at #2 CB instead of #1 and Hobbs is too young and 1 good season doesnt throw him in. If Beioli really think our CBs will be the way they were last year when Harrison was gone .. then you can count on Law back because even if Harrison was out while Law was here..we would be pretty good because we were missing leadership and top talent to help the young 1s. Barret isnt that good and thats why hes not getting recognition

Remix 6 said:
lmao ^ throwing away from Barret? He got beat so many times in the first game and few others i watched. teams were underestimating Law's speed after his injury and he can jump in and pick it off..sorry but Law is 4-5 times better than Samuel and any other CB we currently have..Samuel is better suited at #2 CB instead of #1 and Hobbs is too young and 1 good season doesnt throw him in. If Beioli really think our CBs will be the way they were last year when Harrison was gone .. then you can count on Law back because even if Harrison was out while Law was here..we would be pretty good because we were missing leadership and top talent to help the young 1s. Barret isnt that good and thats why hes not getting recognition

We'll just disagree then. I'd like to ask some Jets fans what they think. My impression of the maybe 4 Jets games I watched was that Law was the weak link in the secondary. If he's so valuable, and Barrett is not good, why aren't the Jets making a move to re-sign him? I mean, he just had 10 INTs and a Trip to Hawaii with them. A top flight corner is very valuable. Yet they're just letting him walk away, even with his old position coach Mangini coaching the team. Why isn't any team eager to sign him? If he's still a great CB talent, why's he still unsigned? My guess is that other HCs and GMs have watched the Jets game films and decided Law just isn't that good to be paying top cornerback money too.

Oh, and this line:
Law is 4-5 times better than Samuel and any other CB we currently have..

Is utter fantasy, or sheer lunacy.

Last edited:
I saw 5 Jets games last year and was not impressed with Ty's performace. He doesn't get to the tackle's as quick anymore and he got burned bad on several plays. Also, when he runs his foot doesn't look like it is 100%. I don't think he'll play for less than $4 Million.

After the 2nd Pats/Jets game -- when Ty got a pick-six (off our clearly disinterested QB :rolleyes:) -- Tom basically admitted in the presser that they were picking on Ty because they'd completed a lot of balls in front of him in the first game.

He's made some heroic plays for us, and he was also the beneficiary of our front-seven...but he's clearly not the same since his '04 injury. He's blown up and hobbles around the field.

Picks might be the most misleading stat of all -- even though they guarantee a pro-bowl spot every year. You have to look at the comp% to the receivers they're assigned to cover, and how often they're targeted in man coverage. That info isn't widely available, but perhaps someone else can help out there.

If Law wants to finish his career here and he's willing to compete for a roster spot and play for money in the Warfield ballpark I'll welcome him back with open arms.

i'm just not holding my breath.

me thinks he will be a chief.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back