PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is that 88-1 (now 89-1) thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFaninAZ

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
They said tonight that the Patriots were 88-1 in their last 89 when leading in the 4th. That's amazing, although I can think of 2 games in the last couple of years where that didn't happen -- against the dolphins and last year's AFCCG. Do the playoffs not count?

Anyway, to put that into perspective, the patriots won 4 games this year where they were losing in the 4th quarter.

They've also kept up their amazing ball-protection in close games. In the 5 closest games of the year -- Dallas, Indy, Philly, Baltimore, and NYG -- the Patriots only have 4 turnovers (and one of them shouldn't even really count as a turnovers, since the Ravens turned it back to us on the same play). Just one more turnover in 4 of these 5 games probably would have meant a loss.

Regular season record only.

They said tonight that the Patriots were 88-1 in their last 89 when leading in the 4th. That's amazing, although I can think of 2 games in the last couple of years where that didn't happen -- against the dolphins and last year's AFCCG. Do the playoffs not count?

Anyway, to put that into perspective, the patriots won 4 games this year where they were losing in the 4th quarter.

They've also kept up their amazing ball-protection in close games. In the 5 closest games of the year -- Dallas, Indy, Philly, Baltimore, and NYG -- the Patriots only have 4 turnovers (and one of them shouldn't even really count as a turnovers, since the Ravens turned it back to us on the same play). Just one more turnover in 4 of these 5 games probably would have meant a loss.

For the record, I believe it was 83-1 (now 84-1) in the regular season when leading at any point in the fourth quarter.

For the record, I believe it was 83-1 (now 84-1) in the regular season when leading at any point in the fourth quarter.
Their record is even better when leading at the end of the fourth quarter.

Why is this "stat" -- if it even is an official stat -- limited to the regular season but excludes the playoffs. What is is supposed to be measuring?

I don't think it makes it less impressive to say 92-2 (or whatever it would be if you include the playoffs). (By my count, we're 12-1 in the playoffs since 2001 when leading at any point in the 4th quarter, but I'm not sure how far back this stat goes.)

Why is this "stat" -- if it even is an official stat -- limited to the regular season but excludes the playoffs. What is is supposed to be measuring?

I don't think it makes it less impressive to say 92-2 (or whatever it would be if you include the playoffs). (By my count, we're 12-1 in the playoffs since 2001 when leading at any point in the 4th quarter, but I'm not sure how far back this stat goes.)

It's a courtesy-of-Elias stat. I'm just passing it along.

FWIW, I believe it's supposed to be a measure of fourth-quarter clutchness. For comparison, in the same time span, every other team has lost at least seven games they were leading at some point in the fourth quarter.

It's a courtesy-of-Elias stat. I'm just passing it along.

FWIW, I believe it's supposed to be a measure of fourth-quarter clutchness. For comparison, in the same time span, every other team has lost at least seven games they were leading at some point in the fourth quarter.

My question was to you, but I wasn't questioning you. I see it as a 4th quarter clutchness stat too, which is why I think including the playoffs is fair game.

Another good comparison is that our opponents this year, when leading in the 4th quarter against us, are 0-4. ;0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes