PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WHAT is Slater going to do for us? if anything

Status
Not open for further replies.
AC-Slater.jpg

he's gonna move furniture at the facility

Alfred Clifford Slater was a damn good football prospect out of Bayside High :D

Don't give up on Slater folks.......I think he will get over his rookie mistake and develop into a heck of a returner.

If he can make that rookie>2nd year leap, we may have another in a tight group of special team aces.

Let's keep an eye on him before we send him packing (or moving furniture around).

What is Slater going to do for us?

Nothing that Ventrone can't do better.

That the FO traded UP in the 5TH round to take this UDFA talent still pisses me off.

+1. Last year he literally did nothing right.

What is Slater going to do for us?

Nothing that Ventrone can't do better.

That the FO traded UP in the 5TH round to take this UDFA talent still pisses me off.

Everything pisses you off.

+1. Last year he literally did nothing right.

Finished second on the team with 13 special teams tackles

literally nothing huh????

as someone pointed out already there is more to STs than the return game:rolleyes:

Slater was a top special teamer last year. He will compete with Aiken, Ciurciu and Alexander for roster spots as special teamers. It remains to be seen how many such spots are available after we complete the pre-season.

Wow, if a move up in the FIFTH round, that lead to picking a player who made a team coming off a 16 win regular schedule pisses you off - thank goodness we're not solliciting your opinion on the 06 AFC championship game or that event in 07 I will not mention by name...

He provides a really good example of the fact that BB is not infallible. THE worst day 2 pick of the BB/Pioli era. And they moved up to get him.

Don't give up on Slater folks.......I think he will get over his rookie mistake and develop into a heck of a returner.

Based on what, though? He's been HORRIBLE with no sign whatsoever of "flash" or "special."

Based on what, though? He's been HORRIBLE with no sign whatsoever of "flash" or "special."

I remember last year during TC a lot of people thought he looked like he was going to be a nasty returner. He didn't get much chance last year and when he did it was bad. But if he can make sure he is more sure handed he definitely has the ability. If I recall he led the NCAA as a returner and may hold some NCAA records.

but that isnt my defense of Slater I like him for all does on STs other than returning

Slater is probably going to be a gunner for us on the kickoff coverage unit and he's going to be the guy that gets blown up by a huge hit on the kickoff return unit. :D

Please send me a copy of the coaching staff's grades to support your claim.

I saw a hustling, rookie kid with good instinct and one unfortunate fumble in the rain.

Let's see how he does in year two...yessh, we are only talking special teams here - I did not say he was going to replace Moss as a starting WR.

I believe Slater has been teamed on KR drills with Maroney... Let's ponder that a moment:
-- Maroney as a rookie had a KR average competitive with Hobbs (even Hobbs detractors acknowledge his KR skills).
-- The other KR candidates who have been getting steady work in camp have played well in college or the NFL, but none of them have been as productive as Maroney.
-- Slater was Hobbs lead blocker, replacing Willie Andrews who shot his way out of the NFL.
-- Hobbs average running behind Slater wasn't significantly different from his average running behind Andrews.

Maroney would be my first choice for KR duty at this point of Camp, Slater would be my first choice for lead blocker. It may be that Scott O'Brien is thinking along those lines himself...this, of course, doesn't negate the fact that Slater is a top notch Gunner/Outside Contain man on Punts & KOs, Slater is also pretty decent blocking against Gunners on PR, about the only ST unit he doesn't play on is the PK unit - it's going to take a top effort by somebody or a group of somebodies to replace Slater's STs role.

sorry Box...I have insufficient brain cells to ponder anything...except my next meal

sorry Box...I have insufficient brain cells to ponder anything...except my next meal
Green eggs and ham for breakfast?

I don't eat breakfast...I wake up too late...nah....right to the main course as soon as I rise

Last edited:
heh...heh heh...psycho

chocolate chip pancakes...yes!!!

someday I'll tell you guys about my days working catering at the Biltmore feeding all the NFL teams that played the Pats the morning of the game...jeezus...you have no idea

heh...heh heh...psycho

chocolate chip pancakes...yes!!!

someday I'll tell you guys about my days working catering at the Biltmore feeding all the NFL teams that played the Pats the morning of the game...jeezus...you have no idea
This should be fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back