PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is Slater doing on this team??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prior to this game, Slater had a total of 9 kick returns, with the longest being a 31 yarder. How does that translate into a failure because he has yet to break one for over 40 yards?

You make my point again for me....if he has only 9 returns why is he still on the team? He is running behind the same ST that Hobbs is, how many returns does Hobbs have over 40?? If you cant give the main guy a decent blow(if not making him obsolete), and you cant back up another position, and you are an "average" gunner....Cant we find ONE guy that knows how to play DB and can return 9 kicks a year?? Andrews got caught with pot, but he backed up the DBs AND returned a kick for a TD besides being the fastest guy on the team. Not sure Slater is or could ever be any of those things....besides the pot.

You make my point again for me....if he has only 9 returns why is he still on the team? He is running behind the same ST that Hobbs is, how many returns does Hobbs have over 40?? If you cant give the main guy a decent blow(if not making him obsolete), and you cant back up another position, and you are an "average" gunner....Cant we find ONE guy that knows how to play DB and can return 9 kicks a year?? Andrews got caught with pot, but he backed up the DBs AND returned a kick for a TD besides being the fastest guy on the team. Not sure Slater is or could ever be any of those things....besides the pot.

I see you're playing the "I'll move the goalposts any way I have to in order to keep arguing" game.

Your gripe was his lack of a 40 yard return. Now, when shown data justifying such a 'failure', you change your argument. Come on, now.

Slater has been a source of frustration for me since the preseason. When we drafted him, I assumed he'd be the primary kick returner and also play a major role on the coverage units. He failed to show much on returns in the preseason and the Pats were forced to use Hobbs back there again this year. Slater has played a major role as a gunner on the punt team, but he certainly hasn't stood out. I have not seen one big play out of Slater all season.

What is most discouraging about this is that Slater is not ever going to be a starting WR or starting S in this league, whether he makes the team will always depend on his special teams contributions. If you are going to draft a guy to essentially only play special teams, he should be truly special in that role.

For Slater to justify being drafted, he needs to excel (not just participate) as our primary kick returner and be an impact player on the coverage units.

That Kelley Washington guy did nothing for the Patriots last year. Special teams? Pshaw.

That Steve Tasker guy did nothing his entire career.

Mayo makes a bad play, it's a rookie mistake and he gets the benefit of the doubt. Chad Jackson still gets the benefit of the doubt despite not even being on the team anymore. But Slater makes one bad mistake (which wasn't as bad as Moss dropping two perfect balls at huge times, or Light giving up two strip sacks), and everyone's ready to jump on him.

Last edited:
That Kelley Washington guy did nothing for the Patriots last year. Special teams? Pshaw.

That Steve Tasker guy did nothing his entire career.

Mayo makes a bad play, it's a rookie mistake and he gets the benefit of the doubt. Chad Jackson still gets the benefit of the doubt despite not even being on the team anymore. But Slater makes one bad mistake (which wasn't as bad as Moss dropping two perfect balls at huge times, or Light giving up two strip sacks), and everyone's ready to jump on him.

Kelly Washington?? Is he still on the team?? He didnt dress for several of the games last year but made 1 nice play downing a punt and a punt block...and is back to his typical inactive status.

Steve Tasker?? The best ST player ever....tell me you arent comparing Slater to HIM!!

Then in the same breath throw Randy Moss under the bus, like he hasnt ever done anything to WIN a game.....unbelievably moronic.

I see you're playing the "I'll move the goalposts any way I have to in order to keep arguing" game.

Your gripe was his lack of a 40 yard return. Now, when shown data justifying such a 'failure', you change your argument. Come on, now.

NO, not at all. My gripe is that he was drafted, that he made the team, and that his lack of production didnt lead the coaching staff to do something about it BEFORE he had the opportunity to fumble away the game today. You should read the posts better before interpreting, I think I stated that notion about 3x now in this thread.

Anyone comparing him to Troy Brown or Kevin Faulk, please stop. You need to watch the games. Troy and Kevin showed football instincts when they carry the ball even when they were rookies. It's a fundamental skill that you learn in pop warner and you develop throughout your football development. Learn how to run with your head on a swivel. Slater has not showed that fundamental skill/instinct so far. Whenever he carries the ball, it's full speed ahead on a straight line. The guy doesn't "see" wha'ts around him. He needs to see if there's a lane opening up so he can hit it, OR he needs to see defenders running at him to protect himself. So far, every Slater kickoff return has ended in a highlight reel type of hit because of his lack of awareness. Not only is he not utilizing the lanes that his blockers might have opened up for him, but he could seriously hurt himself.

That being said, BB saw enough of this kid to move up in the 5th round to get him. I don't see it, but maybe they see something in practice.

This kid gets lit up whenever he returns a KO. LOL. I'm sure his dad sees this too, I wonder what he must be thinking. LOL.

Nice to see we're throwing rookies under the bus now. We lost by 23 points, one mistake didn't cost us the game.

What is our coach doing putting him out there on a sleet/rain infested night in a big pressure packed game against the Pittsburgh Steelers to field a kickoff in a 13-10 game that is critical to making the playoffs? Never mind holding a roster spot for him and letting a Chad Jackson ride off into the sunset for the likes of Sam Aiken.

Yeah, we could have really used Chad Jackson right about now. He sure is lighting up the league! :rolleyes:

BB only drafted and plays him because he comes from a "football family" just like BB does and he thinks that's cool

Pretty stupid way to evaluate talent

I was a fan of the pick, back when I assumed that he would become a Troy Brown, Steve Tasker, special teams ace. He has not become an ace, and has been a liability. He has given us nothing in returns or as a gunner. I think he will have a tough time making the team next year. The FO made a mistake.

What is our coach doing putting him out there on a sleet/rain infested night in a big pressure packed game against the Pittsburgh Steelers to field a kickoff in a 13-10 game that is critical to making the playoffs? Never mind holding a roster spot for him and letting a Chad Jackson ride off into the sunset for the likes of Sam Aiken.

hey. shut the hell up about chad jackson already.

It would be different if they cut Welker, or someone else who has actually DONE SOMETHING IN THIS LEAGUE.

Chad Jackson sucked on this team, he sucks now, and he always will suck.

NO, not at all. My gripe is that he was drafted, that he made the team, and that his lack of production didnt lead the coaching staff to do something about it BEFORE he had the opportunity to fumble away the game today. You should read the posts better before interpreting, I think I stated that notion about 3x now in this thread.
Apparently the coaching staff, whose job it is to evaluate talent and play the guys they feel give them the best shot to win, don't agree with your insights. Or maybe they do and are willing to give Slater a little more time. Either way, it looked like most of the team wasn't into it yesterday but that could have been because they got their asses handed to them by a better Steelers team.

Kelly Washington?? Is he still on the team?? He didnt dress for several of the games last year but made 1 nice play downing a punt and a punt block...and is back to his typical inactive status.
I suggest you learn something about the team BEFORE making statements..if you are truely a biologist. and use this same methodology you are definitely a poor one.

What is Slater doing on this team?

"Third string but playing on special teams."

He also muffed a kickoff on national television.

And, according to the savants here, we know the entire book on Slater. Oh and we get to hear who each of you would "prefer"... including preferring Slater's father to Slater.

Truth is, the Pats' FO is smarter than you. The Lions' FO is smarter than you, for that matter. Otherwise you'd be an NFL scout not an amateur bulletin board draftnik masquerading, as is the habit of draftniks, as a football fan.

Slater has had all of 3/4 of a season to prove himself -- time to call for his head! And the irony of it all is, some OTHER draftnik types are lamenting that CJ can't have another whole contract to prove himself, on the same thread...

mystifying.:confused2:

PFnV

the FO isn't smarter than me

my Madden team won the super bowl last year, but the real patriots didn't

and we all know how that turned out :D Kevin was a beast, and the only one who seemed to have his head in the game today. As for Slater, he's a rookie. sheeeet happens

And the kid had the guts to face the press and take full and complete blame for his screwup, as did Moss.

Yeah, we could have really used Chad Jackson right about now. He sure is lighting up the league! :rolleyes:

He will be soon enough, that's more than I can say for the guys that BB kept over him (Sam Aiken and CJ Jones)

hey. shut the hell up about chad jackson already.

It would be different if they cut Welker, or someone else who has actually DONE SOMETHING IN THIS LEAGUE.

Chad Jackson sucked on this team, he sucks now, and he always will suck.

This coming from a LeKevin Smith fan, that makes alot of sense.........Talk about sucking..........

the FO isn't smarter than me

my Madden team won the super bowl last year, but the real patriots didn't
Go play Madden and leave REAL football to people who care about it..I think that comment shows just about what u are...NOTHING!!!! Now go back to playing Madden..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back