Welcome to PatsFans.com

What % is Representing the 99%?????

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Oct 26, 2011.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +887 / 6 / -16

#87 Jersey

What percentage of the 99% is protesting for the 99%?

Seriously ... if you were Wall Street, big business ... the people in the 1%.

Isn't that what you look at?

If .001 or .0001 or .00001 or .000001 are representing the 99% would you really care enough to change?

If the 99% were really angry the protesting numbers would be ginormous.

But they are not ginormous.

Just saying -
    you cannot effect change without passion and we're all going to work everyday without protesting aren't we?
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +192 / 4 / -6

The established middle class doesn't take chances. It's the poor, young, or marginalized. Chances are most of the original Tea Party activists (those who actually showed up at rallies) were poor or lower middle class; chances are most of the OWS folk are young, marginalized, or poor. The middle class may back them from the comfort of their homes, but won't risk their necks.

All our great movements were led by minorities of people. Although many opposed slavery, the abolitionist movement wasn't that big. As with OWS, you do have ancillary supporters -- in churches, nonprofits, and labor unions. If OWS, broadens its appeal and focuses its goals it will become a force like those seen in the 1960s and 1970s.

It doesn't take a majority to effect change if the movement appears to have the support of the majority, and right now polls seem to show considerable support for the movement:

Poll: More agree than disagree with Occupy Wall Street goals | The Lookout - Yahoo! News

The right is furiously organizing to try to discredit OWS; the right is really scared as they see support for OWS growing while support for the Tea Party decreasing. No wonder the right doesn't even care about police brutality against Iraq vets:

CHART: Americans Support Occupy Wall Street, Oppose Tea Party | ThinkProgress

Before & After: Occupy Oakland

Once again, it appears that the right-wing may end up in the dustbin of history. Historical losers on just about every issue they ever fought for (slavery, women's rights, civil rights, workers rights, minimum wage laws, gay rights, etc.), their influence appears to be declining. I hope so, at least.
  3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +161 / 7 / -13

Many , the majority of taxpayers don't sympathize with people who want something for nothing. People who have aspirations for their children don't agree with demonizing success. They also understand that the politicians were the enablers for the bailouts ie crony capitalism. This OWS is rehashed leftist pap ie anti capitalist, redistributionist greed.
  4. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +536 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

...and the Tea Party supports crony capitalism and the erosion of the middle class.

It's easy to put things into a neat little box and parcel it away so that we don't have to think about it. In truth, if people would open their eyes, I suspect that the Tea Party and OWS would discover that they have many intersecting points of interest. Neither are as fringe radical as their partisan detractors make them out to be.

Eh, it's easier to point fingers and zone out...**** it. There's a new cop drama on NBC.
  5. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +161 / 7 / -13

What are they advocating that supports those things?

Specifics would be helpful.
  6. Patters

Ratings:
    +192 / 4 / -6

Who precisely are those people who want something for nothing? What in your view is the difference between greed and success? On the bailout issue, I think we all agree. So, you see the poor person who wants job training or healthcare for their kids as greedy? Is it possible in your view for a wealthy person to be greedy? If so, how?
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +267 / 10 / -26

Back to the topic at hand, currently the group out there is a diverse set of people.. winter/the holidays are coming and things will wane.

But I suspect that this will gain a lot of traction in the spring when it gets warmer and they may be an influence in next year's election.

The Pope has validated their raison d'etre... which will also help them out.

Meanwhile the right wants to impose more and more regulations on them, more paperwork all the while they speak out of the other side of their mouths how they want to stop big government.. never is their basic philosoply more duplicitous as it is here, their heads are going to explode.
  8. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +516 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

You're right....they don't. And who is asking for "something for nothing?" Certainly not the OWS protesters.

"This OWS" as you put it - is representative of what many, the majority, of American people want.

The latest New York Times/CBS News poll shows that two thirds of Americans believe wealth should be distributed more evenly. A slightly higher portion believe top earners should pay higher taxes and that corporations do not deserve a tax break.

In distrust of government, Americans thwart hope for reform | NJ.com
  9. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +887 / 6 / -16

#87 Jersey

Well it would be nice to see them have more influence in the spring and/or influence in the election. But realistically I see many like myself just going about our daily lives because we cannot afford to spend any time supporting them. Numbers of people would make a difference even if it's for a weekend. I'm thinking like the million man march or something. Instead of occupations I think forums and marches might work a bit better. The occupations are not having any positive effect IMO because they are attracting a fringe element that is not good for publicity.
  10. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +267 / 10 / -26

People pretty much said the same thing about the Peace/Civil Rights/Feminist Movement in the 60's.. and somehow they survived and had an impact.

I agree about the frindgies have a deleterious effect on this overall movement, but that is what it is about, freedom for all to be able to speak their minds. They need to hone their message, but probably will not do so under their guise of free speech for all.

A reality is that this an extremely poor time to start this, particularly in the NE where it has been raining everyother day.. and on the other day the wind is blowing about 40 MPH.. there is every indication that it will be stronger in the spring.
  11. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +203 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

Do you mean fought against? How can you be a loser when those fights were successful?

If that is what you mean then I think you need to be reminded that the abolitionist and suffrage movements came out of the churches as did the fight against child labor (Wilberforce) and the first animal rights organization (Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals).

I am afraid that your distaste for some modern conservatives is coloring your reading of history.
  12. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +536 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

I'm making the same flippant accusations I see being hurled at OWS, simply because a few fringe radicals within the movement have strange ideas. My wider point is that there isn't enough thought being put into the positions people are taking, yet many defend these ill-conceived positions passionately.

Does it bother you when the left demonizes the Tea Party using similarly flimsy arguments?
  13. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

The Tea Baggers sold out a while ago.....

The Tea Party DOES support less regulations, which led to a lot of the current financial crisis. They want less government revenue, which lead to poor schools, roads, infrastructure, police and fire departments.
    The Tea Party is FOR hadning off social security to the same a-holes who are currently raping your 401k at a rate of approx. 40% (Wall Street)
    The Tea Party is ANTI-UNion, which lead to outsouced labor and higher US unemployment

The tea Party is a vocal wing of corporate america, they are the pawns of industry...which is why you don't see them alligned with the OWS movement.

That ain't what the tea party started as, it just sold out to it pretty darn quickly.

even the founder calls the party a "Joke"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmzH5hlsGfo

Listen as he says where the TEA Party started....(Hint...Bank Bailout/wall street)

Here he is supporting OWS:

http://rt.com/usa/news/tea-occupy-denninger-wall-819/
  14. Patters

Ratings:
    +192 / 4 / -6

The abolitionists were the liberals of their day. In fact, after the war Abe Lincoln had to contend with the Radical Republicans who wanted to extract further concessions from the south for their brutality. Clearly the tradition of conservativism continues in the south, where it is historically rooted. Northern and black churches have always been primarily a liberal force in the US. I don't know anything about the history of animal rights, but I do recall that Bridgette Bardot was a major animal rights advocate and a huge enthusiast of the racist Le Pen in France, so perhaps animals rights is an issue that covers a wide political swath.