PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is Logan's principle???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neither. You keep offering false arguments and choices.

Umm... I said he had no choice. You're the one that offered up the "false choice".

Illegal Contact just needs to let it go. Regardless of who is at fault, Mankins will never play another down for the New England Patriots. Mr. Bauer now seems to be desperately trying to get the Pats to work out a sign and trade. Ain't gonna happen.

Ironically, it is the Pats who are operating under a "principle" here. Mankins is being made an example of.

We offered him $5M less than Wilfork in new money over a 5 year term...

If you accept that the Patriots' leak that they offered him a 5 year deal.

We offered him $5M less than Wilfork in new money over a 5 year term...He was getting offered a big deal,

which just proves my point. If the CBA did not prevent the Pats from offering him a big deal in 2010, why not reach the same deal in 2009?

Umm... I said he had no choice. You're the one that offered up the "false choice".

That's incorrect. You posed a question:

Is he a man of principle with no choice. Or no principle with a choice?

Those are clearly not the only possible answers, which means that you set up a false choice.

Last edited:
That's incorrect. You posed a question:

Those are clearly not the only possible answers, which means that you set up a false choice.

So what other choice does a principled man have? Again, the team has no obligation to negotiate or sign him beyond his original contract.

I am really confused as to what the issues are here and WHAT principle he is standing steadfast on.
He was one who I thought that the Pats should draft that year..thought more 2nd 3rd than a 1st, but I thought he would be a great fit and HE WAS. But now, given this situation..I am having a HARD time understanding what his beef is with the team.
I've heard his words regarding this from the past..heard a VERY GOOD scenario on D&C...and
I am still confused as to WHAT principle he is standing up on.
It's mentioned that he was underpaid rookie contract and that happens..it's NOT like he's the only one. There is a mention about going to Kraft and being told it qill be taken care of after the uncapped year.....I think he misspoke and really meant THIS year, but the offer that the Patriots gave him was nothing at all to sneeze at...35 million over 5 years?? I think to any lineman THIS is a solid offer and would take it in an instant. Instead, Mankins turned up his njose and sat on his fanny...claiming principle.
What the heck is HIS principle that he's sitting out??? Kraft lied to him? How why?? Is taking 7 mil a year an insult?? Is THAT offer being treated poorly?? (I think all would NOT see this as the case at ALL...Logan time to get off the high horse and get your head out of your backside..) I have tried to see WHAT OTHER principle he's standing tall on..other than simple GREED..OR GREEDIER than anyone SHOULD be. Not sure there's ANY answer..really. EVEN in what he said..that Kraft told him he's be taken care of...and THAT offer is REASONABLE and fair and nothing short of that. If Mr Mankins is making a stink that he's not the TOP lineman paid..then he can take himself back to the ranch and play with the steers and STAY there. No coming back to NE or anywhere..Frankly I doubt Kraft promised him the HIGHEST contract.
So what else is there?? WHAT other reason?? I feel like his agent has not helped him and I really think he's in some kind of dream world..In bad economic times, being greedy like this is quite silly and dumb..and shows LITTLE character...BUT he may have painted himself into a corner..NOT playing this year and..if there's a lockout next, it will be 2 years NO money NO playing..and that value will GO WAY DOWN...
But what are the high and mighty principles he is playing out??? If it's greed..then he's a selfish SOB and should be gone... What OTHER real reasons are there?? Soiled athlete is something that is thrown around a LOt..maybe his picture should be there.
But I have also wracked my brains to see what/if and tried to see other angles on this..but have come up totally empty. I hear rumblings of "principle" BUT given what I have heard in audio from the past..it seems the ONLY principle is pure greed. I would like to believe it is more than that, BUT???? No idea what it would be.

Very, very well said. Greed is his principle. Is this being caused by his agent? Could be, but I doubt it. I think it's a self important, spoiled athlete. 'They said they'd take care of me and then lied, because the meanies only offered me $35 MILLION dollars.' He's not principled. He's greedy!

Illegal Contact just needs to let it go. Regardless of who is at fault, Mankins will never play another down for the New England Patriots. Mr. Bauer now seems to be desperately trying to get the Pats to work out a sign and trade. Ain't gonna happen.

Ironically, it is the Pats who are operating under a "principle" here. Mankins is being made an example of.

Let what go? You're the one assuming thevpatsvare always right.

Yup, making an example of him. That going to build a winner. Good one.

I'm never one to latch onto the "Patriots are cheap" theory, but I have a very hard time believing that Kraft sat there and promised to make Mankins the highest paid OG in the NFL. Not saying that it isn't possible, but it's extremely hard to believe.

Well, was he drinking at the time?

OK. Lets try this one more time.
Throw out all the guesses. Dont confuse the matter with all the specualtion you are throwing in here.
Just listen to what he said, with an open mind.

He approached the Pats last year for an extension.
They said lets wait due to labor issues, but we want you here and we will take care of you.
Next season comes and whether he knew it was coming or not, he was an RFA facing a 1 year tender.
The team made an offer that he felt was unfair.

The principle was he felt he had their word that they would take care of him in the future, he didnt consider their offer 'taking care of him' and basically is saying if he knew then what the offer was going to be he wouldn't have agreed to what he did.

Right or wrong, its pretty clear.

I agree with the above, but given Mankins reaction, I suspect that the conversation continued along these lines.

Mankins: You typically offer a new contract to your best players a year ahead of time. I would like a new contract offer now because I'm concerned that I may be an RFA next year.

Kraft: Don't worry about that. It won't be a problem.

At this point, it seems to me very likely that the Patriots insisted that Mankins play out his RFA tender year as they did with Gostkowski.

For some reason, most of you seem unwilling to even consider what is to me the simplest and most obvious explanation of Mankins' reaction. Perhaps it is just to much fun to pile on Mankins.

Last edited:
I'm never one to latch onto the "Patriots are cheap" theory, but I have a very hard time believing that Kraft sat there and promised to make Mankins the highest paid OG in the NFL. Not saying that it isn't possible, but it's extremely hard to believe.

Here's the immediately following PP. The Herald interviewed Bauer.

“All we want is fair market value, and that’s like comparing an apple to a watermelon,” Frank Bauer, Mankins’ agent, told the Herald on Aug. 13. “Logan should be in (Evans’) bracket. We’re not asking for $8.5 or $9 million.”

We're not asking for 8.5 million. That's a strange, non-even figure. can we assume they expected between 8.1 and 8.5?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey