PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is Brian Hoyer worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheeseMonkeys

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
To the Patriots he's worthy of a 2nd string spot behind Tom Brady. Although I feel confident with him as a backup, I'm sure we won't be seeing him as a future starter for NE.

There's probably a good chance he'll get traded sometime in the future. But what will the Pats get for him? I was discussing this with people at work, and someone said he's worth no more than a 5th round draft pick. I believe in a year or two the Pats could get an easy 2nd or 3rd rounder.

What is he likely worth to a desperate team in need of a QB?

Probably worth more to this team as a back up, than another team..

Probably worth more to this team as a back up, than another team..

As of right now, yes, but I find it hard to believe he will remain the NE backup QB for another 5 years until Brady calls it quits.

To the Patriots he's worthy of a 2nd string spot behind Tom Brady. Although I feel confident with him as a backup, I'm sure we won't be seeing him as a future starter for NE.

There's probably a good chance he'll get traded sometime in the future. But what will the Pats get for him? I was discussing this with people at work, and someone said he's worth no more than a 5th round draft pick. I believe in a year or two the Pats could get an easy 2nd or 3rd rounder.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...3/863213-what-do-you-think-happens-hoyer.html

2 year re-signing at decent back-up money.

If he proves his value in pre-season and Mallett shows enough to be the #2, then trade one or the other.

Who knows. I personally wouldn't have given up jack squat for worthless *** Kevin Kolb and some idiot team gives up a 2nd plus a Rodgers-Cromartie for him. There's no way Hoyer is any worse than Kolb

It gets tricky because Hoyer's contract expires after this season. I believe (somebody correct me if I am wrong) that he becomes an unrestricted free agent, does he not? I don't believe he is a restricted free agent or exclusive rights free agent.

If he is an UFA, then how much effort should the Pats put into re-signing him, considering they have Mallett? And does Hoyer even want to re-sign? Wouldn't he prefer hitting free agency and go to either the highest bidder, or to whatever team for whom he had the best opportunity to start?

If Hoyer is a RFA then his value is not particularly high simply because he would be an UFA the following year. The only way he would be of higher value would be if the Pats were to allow other teams to negotiate with him and working out a contract extension before trading him.

It gets tricky because Hoyer's contract expires after this season. I believe (somebody correct me if I am wrong) that he becomes an unrestricted free agent, does he not? I don't believe he is a restricted free agent or exclusive rights free agent.

If he is an UFA, then how much effort should the Pats put into re-signing him, considering they have Mallett? And does Hoyer even want to re-sign? Wouldn't he prefer hitting free agency and go to either the highest bidder, or to whatever team for whom he had the best opportunity to start?

If Hoyer is a RFA then his value is not particularly high simply because he would be an UFA the following year. The only way he would be of higher value would be if the Pats were to allow other teams to negotiate with him and working out a contract extension before trading him.

He's an RFA (three years, not four).

In any case, until he signs the tender, he's free to talk to other teams; I could see a "sign-and-trade" à la Welker.

He's an RFA (three years, not four).

In any case, until he signs the tender, he's free to talk to other teams; I could see a "sign-and-trade" à la Welker.

That's where things become interesting, who wants Hoyer that BB would be ok with trading him to? I thought Rexy would be smart to get Hoyer for a 3rd round pick, much better than 'the Sanchise':D

I really liked Hoyer in the limited time we've seen him. Good pocket presence and decision making.

He could be the difference between an 8-8 seahawks team and an 11-5 seahawks team, they have a very good team around the QB position. I hope he gets his chance somewhere, that would be a good fit.

A little bit more, thanks to Barkley staying at USC......

That leaves Luck, and RG3, as the onlt 1st round worthy QBs. Landry Jones is gonig to go back to Oklahoma. So there will be teams out there in need of a QB.

I say give him a second round tender and see if anyone bites. If not maybe trade him for a 3rd rounder and groom Mallett to be the sucessor.

A guy with no starting experience or legitimate playing time garnering a 2nd rounder? Sure.... The front office will probably mess this up, though. We still have a lot of the same incompetent boobs that couldn't get 2 firsts for Rohan Davey after he won NFLE MVP ;)

A guy with no starting experience or legitimate playing time garnering a 2nd rounder? Sure.... The front office will probably mess this up, though. We still have a lot of the same incompetent boobs that couldn't get 2 firsts for Rohan Davey after he won NFLE MVP ;)

Charlie Whitehurst says it's possible.

If Matt Cassell and Vrabel together only get us a 2nd rounder then Hoyer is worth a conditional 4th or 5th at best.

I expect that we tender him a the 2nd round level. I think the Belichick would be OK with a 2nd.

The Kevin Kolb experiment certainly hasn't done Hoyer any favours. FOs will be wary of trading too much for a player that is not battle hardened. Also Stephen McGee and Matt Flynn are in a similar boat come the end of the season. I think the Patriots will be fortunate to get more than a 4th round pick and I am not sure it is worth letting Hoyer go for anything less than a 3rd.

I expect that we tender him a the 2nd round level. I think the Belichick would be OK with a 2nd.

I agree, and I'll say that there's only one possible scenario where another team would come after him.

There are generally 3 ways that backup QBs acquire market value:

#1: The Matt Schaub. This is the most common and familiar scenario, where a backup starts some games due to injury and the league gets a good look at him. Multi-team competition can lead to high price tags.

#2: The Brady Quinn. QB came into the league with a big reputation, and another team thinks it can tap that potential. Compensation is typically much lower than in scenario #1.

#3: The Matt Hasselbeck. A coach or personnel exec recently departed from the QB's team has seen him up close and personal and wants him. Compensation usually between #1 and #3 levels.

(Note that combinations are possible, like Matt Cassel who was a 1+3. Strange how many Matts factor into this discussion.)

So IMO the only way somebody makes a worthwhile offer for Hoyer is if a recently departed Patriots coach or personnel guy is enamored with him.

Last edited:
Sign him to an extension and trade Mallett

Sign him to an extension and trade Mallett

Why Hoyer over Mallet? None of them have shown anything to me. I'd rather stick with the rookie who seems to have alot more potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes