PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is Bob Kraft suggesting here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gr8est

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=155110

'Speaking at the team’s Kickoff Gala, Kraft was asked if he still felt optimistic Branch would open the season in a Patriots uniform.

“Today’s Tuesday,†Kraft said. “We’ll know the answer to that within three days. Like all our fans, I appreciate that Deion’s very special. But we have to let things work their way out and we’ll see what happens come Friday.â€

Kraft was then asked for clarification. Couldn’t Friday’s deadline come and go with Branch’s situation unresolved?

“What you have to do is figure out what resolution and optimism mean to you,†Kraft said. “All of us know what we’d prefer to see happen. We’ll wait and see what happens.†'

Does anyone else read between the lines and see this as almost a threat to Branch? If Branch doesn't change his mind, (or agent), and sign with the Pats, what sort of resolution could BK be hinting at?

The Gr8est said:
Does anyone else read between the lines and see this as almost a threat to Branch? If Branch doesn't change his mind, (or agent), and sign with the Pats, what sort of resolution could BK be hinting at?

It doesn't sound like a threat at all to me.

But it does sound like he isn't very optimistic that it will be resolved in a way we all want to see. Which is the reason for this line

“What you have to do is figure out what resolution and optimism mean to you,†Kraft said. “All of us know what we’d prefer to see happen. We’ll wait and see what happens.â€

To me it sounds like he isn't optimistic it will be a happy ending. But that it may just be an ending nonetheless.

Not very encouraging at all!

Kraft is not suggesting anything but instead, is letting everyone know that while he is a fan first who loves his players, he has hired "managers" he pays very well to make tough decisions for the good of the team. That's not an original thought, he's said that time and time again.

What he's implying is that the Pats will not let Branch continue his holdout into the regular season, and his fate will certainly be known on FRIDAY.

Of course this option would be a last-resort, but could the Pats possibly CUT Branch on Friday? I think they would rather do that than let his holdout cast a shadow over their season, and if he decided to come back Week 10 that would shake up the locker room (not in a good way either).

EDIT: Before I get a bunch of "no way's" and "impossible's", 2 words for you: Lawyer Milloy.

Last edited:
I read it as him saying that, if no team knocks his socks off with an offer, there has been some sort of verbal agreement between the two parties that they will either take one of the deals offered by teh Pats or really get negotiations going hard core...dont know, but that is how i read it

richpats said:
What he's implying is that the Pats will not let Branch continue his holdout into the regular season, and his fate will certainly be known on FRIDAY.

Of course this option would be a last-resort, but could the Pats possibly CUT Branch on Friday? I think they would rather do that than let his holdout cast a shadow over their season, and if he decided to come back Week 10 that would shake up the locker room (not in a good way either).

Cutting Branch occurred to me too, but what good does it do the Pats to cut Branch and give him what he wants? He still wouldn't get the huge raise he wants, but he'd still be getting a raise, and the Pats get nothing.

Not a great example to set for other players unhappy with the money the Pats are paying them.

What other sort of "final" resolution could Kraft be hinting at if he doesn't intend to let this holdout last into the season?

Last edited:
richpats said:

EDIT: Before I get a bunch of "no way's" and "impossible's", 2 words for you: Lawyer Milloy.

No way they cut him. That would be giving into his demands. That would set a bad precedent. He would ultimarely be given what he wants: not to be franchised.

In regards to Lawyer Milloy, he was affecting the salary cap where he had said he would rework his deal prior to the season for the good of the team and then reneged on that in late August. Plus, Milloy was an aging veteran who had lost a step.

I just don't read anything positive or negative in that statement. It seems like Kraft is just trying not to say very much about the situation while discussing the situation and it's kind of a hard thing to do.

I will say I have never in my life been so anxious for a Friday, however. Is there a time deadline? Like 1:00, or 5:00 or end of business or something? What IS end of business for a day in the NFL anyway?

richpats said:

The Lawyer Milloy situation is very different from Deion Branch. With Milloy, you had a guy the Patriots were not willing to keep at his current contract. They were either going to renegotiate the contract or cut him. The problem arose when Milloy spent all summer indicating he would go along with a renegotiation, then changed to a hard line stance at the last moment (possibly due to tampering from another team). So the Pats cut him.

With Branch, you have a guy the Patriots want to play at his current figure. They are not trying to squeeze money out of him, he's trying to squeeze money out of them.

The Patriots won't cut Branch because that would be giving him exactly what he wants, which would be a horrible precedent.

Last edited:
Bella*chick said:
I just don't read anything positive or negative in that statement. It seems like Kraft is just trying not to say very much about the situation while discussing the situation and it's kind of a hard thing to do.

TOTALLY AGREE

I take him at his word, and I really don't see how you can read ANYTHING into what was said.

This is Kraft's attempt at Beli-speak. Nothing more.

Bella*chick said:

Bingo!! Well said!

Could the Pats invoke a "TO" or "KEYSHAWN" penalty and suspend him for not reporting to play?

I think this is a "scorched earth" type of move and I don't think its in anyone's best interest since Branch would never play for us again and we would be in a weakened bargaining position trying to trade him.

While I don't see this happening, it has crossed my mind that this could be the real hammer that the Pats carry since it would cost Branch a year of not playing without pay.

Bella*chick said:

I will say I have never in my life been so anxious for a Friday, however. Is there a time deadline? Like 1:00, or 5:00 or end of business or something? What IS end of business for a day in the NFL anyway?

His deadline for a trade is 4PM on Friday.

I saw Kraft and it was typical. He wanted to sound positive while saying that Bb and Scott handle that.

If I were going to read anything into it, I would read that if no trade is done by 4PM Friday, Branch reports to practice the next day. If I just read the comment then I may read something different into it.

PATSNUTme said:
His deadline for a trade is 4PM on Friday.

I saw Kraft and it was typical. He wanted to sound positive while saying that Bb and Scott handle that.

If I were going to read anything into it, I would read that if no trade is done by 4PM Friday, Branch reports to practice the next day. If I just read the comment then I may read something different into it.

Thanks for the deadline info, NUT!

I'm curious to why people think that Branch's demands includes leaving the Pats immediately. If he leaves the Pats, he wants to leave the Pats on his terms, which would be one more year in Foxboro, have a monster season and then hit the FA market. This is why his agent has agreed that Branch will return IF he has a no-franchise-tag promise from NE.

Here's how I think a cut could happen:

1) No team offers the Pats acceptable value in a trade (likely)
2) No team agrees to meet Branch's contract demands (likely)
3) After 1 and 2, Branch STILL finds the Pats offer unacceptable and refuses to enter negotiations. Basically Branch will have priced himself out of signing long-term with ANY team this year. (very unlikely IMO)
4) Assuming 3, Branch informs the Pats that he intends to holdout until Week 10 and return to the team in November to maintain FA eligibility.

His trade situation would change after this course of events. If no team is willing to pay him his asking price, basically Branch becomes a one-year rental for $1.04 million and then hits FA. Teams would not offer much in a trade and the Pats wouldn't find any offers acceptable (like Soriano and the Nats). Plus, trading Branch would mean he definitely won't be playing in NE in '06 (more on that below). So assume he's not going to get traded.

With the threat of a holdout lasting into the regular season, the Pats have to resolve the situation in some fashion, and if they can't trade him, they cut him. Branch becomes a FA on 9/1 and is free to sign with any team HOWEVER since no team had committed to his original asking price and teams are less likely to throw significant money at a player a week before the season starts, the Pats actually are in a favorable position to re-sign Branch AFTER he gets cut (weird I know).

Like the trade permission is intended to estimate his market value, the value would truly be determined if he actually hit the open market. The Pats, assuming ZERO offers match their's, would be Branch's best option after all. If not, at least the Pats benefit from not having a holdout tear apart the team.

Cutting Branch would still give the Pats some hope of signing him long-term, whereas trading him would guarantee he'll never likely play with the Pats again.

I'll admit this all hinges on a lot of unlikely's but we did coax Seau out of retirement so anything's possible with this team.

If no team is willing to pay him his asking price, basically Branch becomes a one-year rental for $1.04 million and then hits FA.

Or after zero offers from other teams, he realizes he isn't worth what he thinks he's worth. He fires his agent, blames it all on him, signs the Pats offer because he realizes its the best he can get and we all live happily ever after.

Last edited:
Willie55 said:
Or after zero offers from other teams, he realizes he isn't worth what he thinks he's worth. He fires his agent, blames it all on him, signs the Pats offer because he realizes its the best he can get and we all live happily ever after.

Exactly- buzz is that teams aren't even serious about trading for him anyways.

I think everyone in the world outside of Branch and his agent knows he will re-sign with the Pats.

Willie55 said:

Or the team finally gets tired of all this crap after being so patient and says enough is enough! Sometimes scorched earth becomes necessary to make a point and set an example. You owe us the fines imposed and the ones you will continue to acrue, you will not be sitting at home on money you haven't earned. You'll pay us now and you'll pay us later too. You want to throw a million away, we'll take it, no hard feelings, after all it's only business right? End of story, end of problem. You're just too stupid to be on this team where we value intelligence so highly.

Okay Scott, who's the best available WR after cutdown day?? :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back