PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is BB's intent???? Ideas??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats726

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
This brings up a point I have not seen a thread on...OR really discussed...although there have been comments here and there.....
WHY did he do this knoing Mangini COULD basically OUT what he was doing??

Many have said it's arrogance..could be..but I think he's too smart for that...
Maybe he didn't think Mangini would maje a big deal of it all...the code of silence being broken?? Could be..but I have to wonder if there's a larger point to all this in the big scheme.
Long term advantage? An advantage for this year? Maybe a few different things...to have this whole cheating thing clarified..bringing it all out in the open...THAT "cheating" IS legal in many forms..and in others not..which is REALLY closer to what it is. A way to rally the team...us against them?? To also have other teams focus on their spying situations?? Worried they might be causght next??
I have to wonder even if it's something more personal..a way to leave NE..sad as would be...I mean who knows???
It just seems like there is a bigger picture that we all might be missing.

1) We will never know Bill's intent.
2) Belichick is not too smart for arrogance.
3) Sticking it is the face of Mangini or the Commissioner is not unlike Belichick. After all, we had a player on the 53=man roster last week because Bill was mad at Childress.

This brings up a point I have not seen a thread on...OR really discussed...although there have been comments here and there.....

Maybe he didn't think Mangini would maje a big deal of it all...the code of silence being broken?? Could be..but I have to wonder if there's a larger point to all this in the big scheme.
Long term advantage? An advantage for this year? Maybe a few different things...to have this whole cheating thing clarified..bringing it all out in the open...THAT "cheating" IS legal in many forms..and in others not..which is REALLY closer to what it is. A way to rally the team...us against them?? To also have other teams focus on their spying situations?? Worried they might be causght next??
I have to wonder even if it's something more personal..a way to leave NE..sad as would be...I mean who knows???

Bill has a little Richard Nixon in him. Paranoia of not bing on top perhaps?

I honestly think he did it because he didn't think it was a big deal...It's been going on since he's been in the league and didn't think there was a problem with it.

I just have to believe that he didn't think it was a big deal and that there wouldn't be any consequences for it. It seems they've been caught a few times, they put away the camera, and that's that. No biggie. He didn't anticipate a) that Mangini would totally rat him out (seems to be a violation of coach culture) or b) that the league would go postal, given that nothing has really happened in the past and everyone "cheats" by stealing signals, including the Dolphins, who were investigated for doing it last year to the Pats and "exonerated" even though they openly admitted doing it.

A miscalcuation by BB obviously. Hopefully the league quietly announces its not-to-harsh penalty Sunday morning at 11:59 a.m., and the discussion gets drowned out by a great slate of exiciting games. culminated by an exiciting win by the Pats over SD on Sunday night. By Monday at 8:00 a.m., the Pats will announce they've accepted the league penalty, paid the fine or whatever, and moved on. When BB is asked about it at his press conference, he will again briefly apologize, say the matter is behind the team and who would like to discuss our next opponent, the Buffalo Bills?

In paraphrase:

"I talked with Goodell about my interpretation of the rules"
~BB

"We will let our play on Sunday dictate our statement"
~BB

Completely paraphrased (too lazy to find actual quotes).

Be ready for a BIG game this Sunday.

Bill Belichick is John Galt. Bill Belichick is Howard Roark.

He wanted to address the issue of videotaping and chose to take on the NFL, and just gave an amazing speech in front of the entire NFL Competition Committee. =D

He did it because the NFL said the Dolphins cheating last year was fine and legal.

One could argue that the Dolphins cheating lead to the loss of home field advantage for the Patriots, and thus another Super Bowl trophy.

People can speculate about the Patriots cheating and how it must have helped us. But Patriots' fans know for a fact that the Dolphins cheating absolutely hindered us from another Super Bowl victory.

IMO, it's more of a sticking it to the league kind of thing.

I could be way off, but here's what I think might be Bill's reasoning...

Last year Miami knew everything we were gonna do before we did it. The advantage they had over us was above and beyond any competitive advantage that you can gain by stealing signs DURING a game, with or without technology. They had been practicing with the knowledge of Brady's calls and audibles etc...

BB was pissed about it and the league did nothing about it, saying basically "tough, it's gamesmanship". So, to spite their double standards, he clearly breaks a rule that gives you less of an advantage than something that was legal (what Miami did). At the same time, hopefully in the end evening out the playing field to a talent for what competitive advantage you can gain by "stealing signs". Getting it out in the open to clarify ****, except doing it Belichick style since no one listens to him when he brings things up.

Yup, it's clear to me that is what has to be going on.

He did it because the NFL said the Dolphins cheating last year was fine and legal.

One could argue that the Dolphins cheating lead to the loss of home field advantage for the Patriots, and thus another Super Bowl trophy.

People can speculate about the Patriots cheating and how it must have helped us. But Patriots' fans know for a fact that the Dolphins cheating absolutely hindered us from another Super Bowl victory.

Great minds think alike :) That dolphins fiasco is 100% behind, at the very least, why we got CAUGHT if not why we actually did it.

What's puzzling is that several staff would likely be aware of the game-day rules so what was Estrella doing out there aiming the camera at defensive coaches, and reportedly he was at a number of games? It's clearly an organizational problem and that's why the penalty is likely to be stiff.

Most all corporate CEOs and politicians who have gotten themselves in trouble through the arrogance of imagining they won't get caught are very smart. Belichick thinks he is better than every other coach and that the rules don't apply to him. It's not any more complicated.

this whole thread is utter speculation. We don't know what BB "knew or when he knew it" -- let's chill until a few facts come out.

Most all corporate CEOs and politicians who have gotten themselves in trouble through the arrogance of imagining they won't get caught are very smart. Belichick thinks he is better than every other coach and that the rules don't apply to him. It's not any more complicated.

Where has BB ever said he was better than any other NFL coach?

You must have inside knowledge.

Were do you get that he is arrogant?

Again do you know him personally?

From everything I have heard from BB he is as humble as his players are.

I would like to see some proof of what you speculate about BBs arrogance and how he feels he is a better coach than any other NFL coach.

Where has BB ever said he was better than any other NFL coach?

You must have inside knowledge.

Were do you get that he is arrogant?

Again do you know him personally?

From everything I have heard from BB he is as humble as his players are.

I would like to see some proof of what you speculate about BBs arrogance and how he feels he is a better coach than any other NFL coach.

Its funny isn't it? A guy as arrogant as BB, yet the biggest student of the game to this day. Still working his butt off, always trying to learn study etc... A genuine love of the game and it's history. Yet he's arrogant and thinks he's better than everyone.

It's crazy how much people envy/hate this organization.

I believe BB's intent was answered in his statement. That being that his interpretation of the policy is different than that of the Commish's. So BB continued on as per usual.

I believe BB's intent was answered in his statement. That being that his interpretation of the policy is different than that of the Commish's. So BB continued on as per usual.

I think this might be true, we have not seen the tape so we do not actually know what was being taped. It is rumored to be taping the Jets D signs, but it could just be taping the Pats O. The interpretation may have to do with his belief that he could still tape, as long as he was taping his team's stuff.

The second thing I have thought about is BB's disdain for the "paternalistic" rules of the NFL.. consider:
.... Has to wear official NFl wear on the sidelines, so he wears a tattered hoody.
... Has to give an injury report, so he tinkers with this
... Has to give press conferences, so he plays head games with the press
... Did not allow access to his Assistant Coaches.. on and on

In many ways he is a rebel, and this might be his strength and might also be his fault.

Last edited:

Could be....but might there not be something deeper..bigger in teh scheme??

What's puzzling is that several staff would likely be aware of the game-day rules so what was Estrella doing out there aiming the camera at defensive coaches, and reportedly he was at a number of games? It's clearly an organizational problem and that's why the penalty is likely to be stiff.

I had the same thought. Apparently no one in the organization stands up to BB. What's more, the players have to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes