PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is BB up to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patters

Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I think he's trying to understand the effect of the new salary cap on the market and waiting to see what other teams do so that he can design next year's team in the most effective way. For instance, knowing that the Phins have Culpepper gives BB an edge going forward. But, it's seems like the Pats might have trouble spending to the cap limit, and they're not a conservative team in that regard. While there are advantages of waiting and seeing, isn't there a risk of ending up with beaten up veterans and mistake prone rookies? Is there still plenty of talent out there or talent that might come onto the market?

At last check he was hanging out in Florida with Urban Meyer . . . I can't wait to see how the rest of this offseason plays out. Best guess, he's letting everyone overspend with their newfound piggy banks and expects (hopes) to find some bargains later when a lot fewer teams have money.

Patters said:
I think he's trying to understand the effect of the new salary cap on the market and waiting to see what other teams do so that he can design next year's team in the most effective way. For instance, knowing that the Phins have Culpepper gives BB an edge going forward. But, it's seems like the Pats might have trouble spending to the cap limit, and they're not a conservative team in that regard. While there are advantages of waiting and seeing, isn't there a risk of ending up with beaten up veterans and mistake prone rookies? Is there still plenty of talent out there or talent that might come onto the market?

My only guess is drinking and/or taking personnel advice from Mike O'Connell.

This is a great question. I think this is the set up year to another 3-4 year run beginning in 2008. He's opened up holes on the roster that we will hopefully fill with younger, better and cheaper players they can develop like they did with Branch and Givens. And the other part is opening up cap room for Branch and Seymour so we can keep them around for awhile.

It's painful from a fan's standpoint but in the end if it works then more Super Bowls come. That won't be next year, probably, but overall I like what he's doing. It's the right thing.

I think Belichick is projecting out where he wants the team to be going forward. If he is factoring in hanging on to the core younger guys (Seymour, Branch, Koppen, Colvin, Warren, Graham, etc.), then he can't keep all of the older guys. It's as simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back