PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is 'a football move'?

This is a football movement ...

18zccvsyzl30hgif.gif

So I've done a bit more research on this at stack exchange, and I think the answer *is* in the rules, but they do not call it a football move therein:
COMPLETED OR INTERCEPTED PASS
Article 3 Completed or Intercepted Pass. A player who makes a catch may advance the ball. A forward pass is complete
(by the offense) or intercepted (by the defense) if a player, who is inbounds:
(a) secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and
(b) touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands; and
(c) maintains control of the ball long enough, after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, to enable him to perform any act common to the game (i.e., maintaining control long enough to pitch it, pass it, advance with it, or avoid or ward off an
opponent, etc.).
Note 1: It is not necessary that he commit such an act, provided that he maintains control of the ball long enough to do so.

So it is not explicitly defined, but does talk about maintaining control of the ball long enough to perform "any act common to the game". This is a football move. They give examples such as passing the ball, advancing with it, warding off opponent, etc..

Even more interesting, it is defined by a *time window, not the act itself.* Note 1 is explicit on this. This answers my old question about what happens if you catch it, and just stand there doing nothing. The key is you had the time to do something if you wanted to....

So that's where it is in the rules. It is still a bit ambiguous, but basically if you have control of it a certain reasonable amount of time, you have completed the pass. How long is long enough? Doesn't say.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back