PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is a bigger need ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Pa Patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
What do we feel we need to add depth Wr or Oline...

Right now we need more depth on oline, but until we get a proven number 2 we must focus on the wr

OL for me. If Kaczur can be a good starter at RG or RT, we still need a good starter at the other spot. If Kaczur is a longterm backup we need both.

Depth???? Do the Pats actually have two VIABLE starters at Wide out? No.

They need to addreess depth at O-line, yes. They need an actual starter at WR.

Garbanza said:

They need a starter on the right side of the OL too.

Neal and Ashworth are both still FA, and right now we'd have:

Light-Mankins-Koppen-Kaczur-Gorin....that isn't that bad...but we would need significant help with depth

whereas at WR we have no legit #2....we need something there and that, I'd say is much more immediate in FA...we can get a solid starter or o-line depth in the draft...a legit starting WR is much more difficult to come by in the draft IMO

tatepatsfan said:
Light-Mankins-Koppen-Kaczur-Gorin....that isn't that bad...but we would need significant help with depth

whereas at WR we have no legit #2
I have as much confidence in Caldwell and I do in Gorin.

Boo Hoo...

BelichickFan said:
They need a starter on the right side of the OL too.

Too bad they seem to have managed to eke out two Superbowl wins with what they have got, even if they lose both Ashworth and Neal...

AzPatsFan said:
Too bad they seem to have managed to eke out two Superbowl wins with what they have got, even if they lose both Ashworth and Neal...
They won two SB with Antoine Smith too, that didn't mean he shouldn't be upgraded.

Both would be draft targets as of today, where they will be April 29th is yet to be determined.

O-Line but id like to see another WR brought in maybe Moulds for veteran Leadership?

Garbanza said:

Garbanza -
Why do they NEED a viable starter at WR? Be honest, do you remember 2001? You know, when the Pats had David Patten, Charles Johnson, Bert Emanuel, and Torrance Small vying for the #2 spot? NONE of them were "viable" options, yet the Pats let them fight it out and Patten made himself the better option of the 4. I see no reason why we can't do that now. Especially since we have significantly better TE options than we did in 2001.

O-Line. They keep squeezing every ounce of production out of whoever is on the recieving end of Brady's passes. I think we do need a #2 but I don't think it has to be anything big. I truly think Caldwell is a legit possibility to fill that.

Lack of a running game is a much larger worry to me. That and protecting Brady. With Brady aroudn we will have some passing offense. We wil get great production from the tight end position, Branch will be great, and I do love them screen passes. But, we can't go through another year without a running game. Lacking depth, lacking a right side, etc. Need to patch that up. Gimme a cashier who can run fast and put some stick-em on his hands and I'm pretty much satisfied with the WR situation.

I also go with O-line, though the Pats system could bring anyone along well. I'd like to see them pick up with the run next year, though. The big holes just weren't there in 2005. It would take some pressure off of Tommy, which I think would make all of us happy.

I dont think we 'focus' on anything in order.
I think BB has a variety of needs, and he pursues them all concurrently.

Whether the backup at one position (and starter if we sign no one)is better than the one at another has little to do with who gets signed first, IMO. We are recruiting for all openings simulataneously.

Here is the difference. BB KNOWS his needs. Fans guess at them.
BB KNOWS he will fill them all. So how quickly isnt a big deal.
Fans worry he wont fill what they think the needs are so every day that goes by makes you nervous.

EXAMPLE:
Assume BB has decided Bethel Johnson is his #2 WR based on what he has seen to date.
That is not an opening he is looking to fill.

Fans may think Bethel cannot be a #2 so see a hole in the roster.

BB doesnt fill it, fans worry.

Ultimately we find out whether he made a good or bad decision.
I trust his will mostly be good ones.

I think this scenario almost exactly played out with Warren between 03 and 04.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes