PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What if...

Status
Not open for further replies.

letekro

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Assuming he's still on the board at that time, what would you guys think if we packaged 21, 52, and 86 for Detroit's 9 and selected Michael Huff? This would solidify our secondary for years to come and we could still get 3-4 additional quality players with our early third, two fourths and early fifth.

I think this makes even more sense if we can get Donte Stallworth for a 2007 pick.

Huff is one of the few "sure things" in this draft. This guy is an immediate impact, Ed Reed type of player, except he also has the skills to be a top-flight corner. Would you pass on three lesser talents to take this guy?

I think BB might. Assuming our WR situation is solidified before the draft, we can still tab a quality LB/RB with our early third. IMO we can put off the youth movement for another year at those two positions, especially if Dillon's injuries were the cause of his declining performance last year (which is what I suspect).

No thanks for me! 3 DAY ONE players are almost always better than one. There's more time for the law of averages to make sure we get some good value in the three picks. If Huff is less than stellar, a huge gamble has lost.

But he is not less than stellar; that's why he is a sure thing...

I like Huff..but too much...really..too much if there was a way to keep another pick...OK..but taking all?? No..I wouldn't do that....the RB could wait till later..lower..the LB?? THAT is more immediate..

Volume Volume Volume

We've got the ammunition to make some moves up into the teens if we so desire but a jump from 21 to 9 requires us to give up just too much.

Last year my draft philosophy was "less is more" favoring a philosophy where we packaged picks to inmprove our position.

This year I'm in a "volume" mode with the team having enough needs that we're "more is more" knowing that there are some quality players to be found in the middle rounds that can probably help us.

And for those who think we have NO needs on the team, I think they would agree that a "more is more" approach should help give us a better chance separate the wheat from the chaffe in the mid-rounds to provide us with better depth.

The Patriots cannot afford to make a move like this. They

are more than one player away from another Super Bowl win.

They need a starting wide receiver, starting linebacker, and

competent kicker to be be as good as last year's team

and that team was badly beaten by Denver. They need a solid

draft and perhaps another good UFA or two to return to the

Super Bowl.

I agree with the stallworth maybe for a 3rd or 4th round pick next year.

I do not agree with the package of picks for Hawk, we have too many holes to fill for just one player.

Jimke said:
The Patriots cannot afford to make a move like this. They are more than one player away from another Super Bowl win. They need a starting wide receiver, starting linebacker, and competent kicker to be be as good as last year's team and that team was badly beaten by Denver. They need a solid draft and perhaps another good UFA or two to return to the Super Bowl.

I disagree with much of this...

They can afford to make a move like this, but they likely won't.

The Patriots as currently comprised, and if healthy, are a playoff team even with depth issues. Can they get better--obviously, but the breach is not so wide.

Beaten badly by Denver? I don't think so. Played poorly and were beaten by Denver and some questionable calls? Absolutely. Beaten badly? Nope.

This Patriot team, as currently comprised, if healthy, is better than either of the teams that were in the recent Super Bore. Bank it.

In the Denver game, if the Red Zone pass to Troy is a TD and not picked and returned for an easy TD drive the other way, the outcome is different, regardless of the bad referee calls and other Patriot mistakes.

letekro said:

There's no such thing as a sure thing in the draft.

I would be okay trading up to 16 or so if Huff fell. I think after that the price is too high.

I would still rather keep the additional pick(s).

Bertil said:
In the Denver game, if the Red Zone pass to Troy is a TD and not picked and returned for an easy TD drive the other way, the outcome is different, regardless of the bad referee calls and other Patriot mistakes.
Which is part of the reason we need a WR. Troy, you have to make a play on that ball.

Bertil said:

And if we have somebody other than our 3rd string LT playing with the flu, maybe that pass it indeed a TD.

But anyway, this team does have needs at LB and WR at the very least, plus quality depth at almost every position.

Jimke said:
They need a starting wide receiver, starting linebacker, and
competent kicker to be be as good as last year's team.

Didn't you know its tantamount to treason around here to suggest that this team has any needs whatsoever? Especially starters.

I used to foolishly believe just as you do but wiser football minds have convinced me that I'm being silly to question the WR skills of Caldwell, Johson, Smith Childress and Stone.

With 41 catches between them last year they are DUE to have breakout years!!! (so too are the Washington Generals due to beat the Globetrotters)

I also used to think that we still had a question mark at Kicker, but I've been convinced by others that, although he might not make the team, if he does make the team there is no doubt that Gramatica will make us forget about you know who (who shant be named because he now plays for another team).

And as far as needing a starting LB - we'll, let's not even go there.

Just drink some more Kool-Aid as I did and you will find the bliss of knowing that this team has already all but won the next Super Bowl!

;)

Last edited:
letekro said:

Your argument is just so...circular...

letekro said:
Sure thing. Ha ha ha ha ha.

Ryan Leaf was a sure thing.

Last edited:
letekro said:

We use 3 picks to get him and he blows out his knee in trainging camp? Don't say it doesn't happen- does Hart Lee Dykes ring a bell? Our #1 Draft pick never played a down for the Patriots.

The draft is a crap shoot. You really don't know what you have until you get them in camp. There have been a lot of high first round bust.

I like Huff a lot but I"m not will to give up 3 good picks for him. He may be special but others could be also.

No need...

Bertil said:

And that was an Offensive mistake, The Offense was very young. It is even younger now, with Fauria and Ashworth gone, but the disparity is not so obvious. Then there were two rookies and a reserve and a sick ROT forced into playing unfamiliar LOT. He (Ashworth) missed on a blitz pickup, and the passrusher was in Brady's face when he threw the endzone INT to Champ.

The Defense played well enough to win if the Offesne hadn't kept giving up the ball in terrible position. Denver was a an OFFENSIVE loss; and the Offense played like a bunch of rookies and immature veterans, and in effect they were just that! You may say that the Offensive youngsters after another season of experience, in combination with healthy veterans will cure the Offense's proclivity to mistake tendencies, and I would certainly agree.

They have already added in effect, ex-starters Harrision, Warfield, Gay, Tebucky, G Scott and youngsters J Sanders, and Mitchell How does adding another defensive DB make things different?

The Defense has lost an OLB in McGinnest. Replacing him would seem the first order of business there. Huff doesn't do a thing for that particular problem.

By season's end Harrison should be back and the 8 CBs and 7 Ss should be more than enough DB depth. Youngsters Sanders, and G Scott, Hobbs, Samuel and Poteat will have had another year of experience and veterans Hawkins, Warfield, Tebucky, and Mitchell will have had a training camp and season to acclimate.

I'm more inclined to move down in the 1st round rather than up. However, if huff fell to about 15-16 then it might be worth it. He's gonna be an impact player in the NFL I do believe. Better yet, figure out a way to get A.J. Hawk! Now that would be pricey! My bet is they trade down with a team really needing/wanting a RB and take a Sims/Wimbley,Carpenter/Hill/Cromartie etc... at better value

What if spiderman had never lost the captain universe power...huh huh

re

Belichick will only trade up if a player drops. If Huff falls to #15, a case can be made to package our #1 with a #3 (or #4 instead if they get lucky).

Why would you trade our top 3 picks for one player, and also suggest trading our 2007 pick for Stallworth? These are Mike Ditka-like moves.

No offense, but I'm glad you are only an armchair GM for the Patriots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back