PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What If...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tucker

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
KC goes in the opposite direction everyone is projecting and grabs Crabtree with the 3rd overall? How do you think the draft would shake out at that point? I'd imagine the Browns would nab Curry pretty quickly but I dont think it's out of the question for Pioli to throw a curveball here

I mean Curry wont revitalize their defense all by himself, and not having that 2nd rounder they cant grab another top LB or other defensive prospect. But having Crabtree opposite Bowe with Gonzo in the middle would be insane if Crabtree were to pan out.

I guess a lot of us
will be rooting for the Chiefs ...
when it don't matter.

Let's assume it goes something like this:

1. Detroit - Matt Stafford, QB
2. St. Louis - Jason Smith, OT
3. KC - pulls a shocker and takes Michael Crabtree, WR - great target for Cassel
4. Seattle - I'll go with Mark Sanchez QB here, though Eugene Monroe is an otion
5. Cleveland - jumps all over Aaron Curry here
6. Cincinnati - goes with Monroe if he is still here, otherwise chooses between Raji and one of the other OT's; I'm going to call it Monroe
7. Oakland - goes WR (Maclin, Heyward-Bey), OT (Oher, Smith) or Raji
8. Jacksonville - about the same as Oakland
9. Green Bay - may go with Brian Orapko at DE/OLB here, or Raji if still available, or Malcolm Jenkins, or an OT
10. San Francisco - goes DE/OLB or OT here

I'm not sure it particularly shakes up the top 10. It would shake it up more if KC went OL at #3, which could easily happen. Either way, I doubt it affects the Pats very much.

On a side topic, PFT is reporting that the Lions have zeroed in on Matt Stafford with the #1 pick, which is consistent with the rumors I've been hearing that they are in love with him:

SportingNews.com - ProFootballTalk

Let's assume it goes something like this:

1. Detroit - Matt Stafford, QB
2. St. Louis - Jason Smith, OT
3. KC - pulls a shocker and takes Michael Crabtree, WR - great target for Cassel
4. Seattle - I'll go with Mark Sanchez QB here, though Eugene Monroe is an otion
5. Cleveland - jumps all over Aaron Curry here
6. Cincinnati - goes with Monroe if he is still here, otherwise chooses between Raji and one of the other OT's; I'm going to call it Monroe
7. Oakland - goes WR (Maclin, Heyward-Bey), OT (Oher, Smith) or Raji
8. Jacksonville - about the same as Oakland
9. Green Bay - may go with Brian Orapko at DE/OLB here, or Raji if still available, or Malcolm Jenkins, or an OT
10. San Francisco - goes DE/OLB or OT here

I'm not sure it particularly shakes up the top 10. It would shake it up more if KC went OL at #3, which could easily happen. Either way, I doubt it affects the Pats very much.

Not to quibble but that is why we are here:)

I really think that at #3 KC will go defense and Curry or the shocker may be Raji. They were aweful last year but with the addition of Dorsey (DE??) and Flowers plus Vraible this off season they need another impact defensive player this year. While I really could also see a trade back (with someone reaching to get Sanchez)as we have their second round pick the idea of Crabtree, Bowe and Gonzo with a healthy LJ might be quiet an offense for MC to run, lucky SOB:D:D.

I agree, Crabtree, Raji or an OT are all possibilities with this team. They are one of the most interesting teams this draft. They've already drafted well with Cassel as their 2nd round pick.

I think that people are forgetting a few things when predicting who KC will pick.

1) Pioli is a BB disciple and knows that you build from the lines out.
2) All of Haley's experience is on the offensive side of the ball..
3) Cunningham stayed as the DC.
4) Pioli has been doing his best to try and fill in the holes prior to the draft. That includes recent signings of Bobby Engram, Monty Beisel (who's best years were under Cunningham), Terrence Copper, and Mike Goff.

Is there still a whole at the #2 receiver spot? Yep. There is. Do the Chiefs have holes on their D-line? Yep. Particularly at DT next to Dorsey and at DE opposite Hali. They also have a hole at the SLB position and at CB opposite Flowers.

I could see the Chiefs blowing everyone's mind and take RAJI, in all honesty. There are still going to be some good WRs available in the 3rd round. And they could still end up with a 2nd or third for Gonzalez since he is still clamoring for a trade.

I think that people are forgetting a few things when predicting who KC will pick.

4) Pioli has been doing his best to try and fill in the holes prior to the draft. That includes recent signings of Bobby Engram, Monty Beisel (who's best years were under Cunningham), Terrence Copper, and Mike Goff.

Is there still a whole at the #2 receiver spot? Yep. There is. Do the Chiefs have holes on their D-line? Yep. Particularly at DT next to Dorsey and at DE opposite Hali. They also have a hole at the SLB position and at CB opposite Flowers.

I could see the Chiefs blowing everyone's mind and take RAJI, in all honesty. There are still going to be some good WRs available in the 3rd round. And they could still end up with a 2nd or third for Gonzalez since he is still clamoring for a trade.

Raji at #3 is a bit of a reach and if Curry is projected as a possible #1 overall pick and he is available at #3 i dont see how they could go otherwise unless they totally trade out and pick up a few more high round picks.

Cunningham is the DC for Detroit, KC's new DC is the fired DC from Arizona - Pendergrast or something similar.

Raji at #3 is a bit of a reach and if Curry is projected as a possible #1 overall pick and he is available at #3 i dont see how they could go otherwise unless they totally trade out and pick up a few more high round picks.

How is Raji a bit of a reach at #3? This is a guy who can solidify the Chiefs D-line for the next 4 years when paired up with Dorsey and then Hali on the outside at DE. This is, of course, if they stay with the 4-3. If they change to the 3-4, then Curry is the better option. But I don't think that, even with Curry, that the Chiefs have the LBs for the 3-4. Unless they move Hali to OLB as well.

I just didn't want you burned at the stake the next time you're in KC or Detroit. :p

*reviews his travel schedule* Not planning on being in KC or Detroit any time soon. :D

Though my schedule is always subject to change.

KC goes in the opposite direction everyone is projecting and grabs Crabtree with the 3rd overall? How do you think the draft would shake out at that point? I'd imagine the Browns would nab Curry pretty quickly but I dont think it's out of the question for Pioli to throw a curveball here

I mean Curry wont revitalize their defense all by himself, and not having that 2nd rounder they cant grab another top LB or other defensive prospect. But having Crabtree opposite Bowe with Gonzo in the middle would be insane if Crabtree were to pan out.
I think the draft wouldn't really change all that much in this scenario. Curry would probably go next, and the same players are off the board by the time the top ten selections are made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes