PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What if the best player available is a TE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinkypete

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
This is the strongest TE draft I can remember seeing. Coupled with the relative weakness of the '06 WR class, what do people think about lining up Watson at WR (should Givens leave) and drafting a TE. There should be tremendous options in rounds 1-3, and with Fauria close to retirement and Graham's injuries and free agency in '07, this may be the time to do it.

The only way we take a TE in the first is if we trade Graham to Seattle for their first rounder. Holmgren wanted him three years ago and got stuck with Stevens. We know how that turned out. If Graham was playing for Seattle they might be celebrating a Super Bowl victory.

no, we pass on the TE in on the first day and pick one up late second day.

Too many other positions that we need to shore up.

I'm all for taking a day one TE. They off too much value to pass up.

Not for me. If BPA at #21 is TE, we should trade down with someone who wants a TE.

TE? Sure! Just not at 21.

I think we should draft a day 1 TE, just not at #21 in the first round. If the BPA is a TE and there is no one else we feel has the value at #21, then I'm with the guy who wants trade down (to Chicago? their 26 and 88 for our 21 and 130? the we'd have 26, 52, 75 , 86 and 88 ). And if ever anyone needed at TE it's definately Seattle cause it looks like Stevens has worn out his welcome (21 and 117 for 32 and 64. then we'd have 32 52 64 75 86...gotta like that, right in the sweet spot of the draft! sweeeet spot..mmmmmm. and we still have picks in rounds 5-7!) These trades a skewed a little bit in our favor but if the top 1 or 2 TEs are available at 21, maybe we could get a bidding war going.

The guy I'm looking for in the 3rd round is Day, the TE from Oregon. Nice value there!

Last edited:
When have Belichick and Pioli ever drafted a player just because he's the "best player available"?

Patpatriot is fairly close to the truth: if the Pats feel there's no player that fits the Pats' system that's worth pick #21, they'll trade down. If they think there's a player worth the #21 pick, they'll draft him then. And if they think he's so important that he's worth trading an extra pick or two to get, they'll trade up.

With Graham's contract up in 2006, and us needing three TE's, as usual, a Day One TE is certasinly possible.

To put in another way, I don't think a late round TE will or should beat out Fauria.

Last edited:
It's not as if Fauria was a huge contributor in 2006. Jed Weaver is a legit #3, and I'd like to see him get a real shot.

rookBoston said:
It's not as if Fauria was a huge contributor in 2006. Jed Weaver is a legit #3, and I'd like to see him get a real shot.

Is Jed Weaver still on the team? I thought he had moved on.

I think it would be unwise to have 3 #1 pick TEs on the team. But how do defenses cover a TE that's 6'8" with leaping ability and soft hands (Pope)? I really think (and I've said this before, so forgive me for the repetition) that Pope can be the next Antonio Gates. And as much as I like Graham and Watson, who couldn't use Antonio Gates?

But BB values Graham's blocking, so he might want to retain him beyond 2006. If not, I'd be OK with drafting Pope to use in select packages this year and playing Graham's role in 2007.

Either way, I think we've seen the last of Fauria, unless he agrees to a vet minimum deal and is okay being inactive most weeks.

Last edited:
what if vernon davis is there at 21? could he line up at wideout? hed have to shed some weight, and work on conditioning, but im sure it would work, hes already faster then most wide recievers, wait till he sheds some pounds :eek:

" What if the best player available is a TE?"

Fine with me, there's room for another TE on this team. So if a Anthony Fasano is the BPA at #86, or David Thomas at #105, or Jeff King at #132...oh wait, you didn't mean #21, did you? :)

This is a tremendous year for TEs, but let some other team bite in round 1. IF TE is far and away the best value at 21, there should be attractive prospects for trading down.

If Pope is still there, it would be hard to "pass" on him. He would be a force on especially near the goal line. Brady is already adept at the goal line play-pass. Imagine if he had a 6' 9" 280 TE to throw to?

Plus of course, DAWG!

Graham? might be traded

I like Daniel Graham but I think he may be traded to seattle in a deal involving J. Jurivicous.. just a hunch :rocker:

Feep_FLA said:
I like Daniel Graham but I think he may be traded to seattle in a deal involving J. Jurivicous.. just a hunch :rocker:

I think Joey J is a free agent. If so, time for a new hunch.

stinkypete said:
This is the strongest TE draft I can remember seeing. Coupled with the relative weakness of the '06 WR class, what do people think about lining up Watson at WR (should Givens leave) and drafting a TE. There should be tremendous options in rounds 1-3, and with Fauria close to retirement and Graham's injuries and free agency in '07, this may be the time to do it.

Well, first off, the Pats don't draft by best player available. They draft by best VALUE available. And there is a difference. And it helps to understand how the Patriots draft.

BTW, the Box_O_Rocks reprint of RookBoston's post from 2004 is a great read and it does help to explain how BB drafts. As does the Curran article.

DaBruinz said:
Well, first off, the Pats don't draft by best player available. They draft by best VALUE available. And there is a difference. And it helps to understand how the Patriots draft.

BTW, the Box_O_Rocks reprint of RookBoston's post from 2004 is a great read and it does help to explain how BB drafts. As does the Curran article.
Best VALUE is an excellent point DB, I would add 'for the Patriots' system' to put it in context. TE has been a BB point of emphasis, I believe for the versatility the position offers - blocking, receiving, STs, running, in that order. Despite our current strength at the position, there is room for an upgrade with the incredible draft value available from the mid-first through the end of day one in TEs.

Vernon Davis and Leonard Pope are guaranteed value in the first round.
Joel Klopfenstein and Dominque Byrd in the second.
Anthony Fasano and Tim Day make good possession receivers in the third.

The only reason I'd pass on Davis and Pope is to take a NT - Vince's early struggles last year showed us how critical that slot is - or a DE-OLB Willie Mac clone. I would take either TE before I took an OT - Grahambo is the best blocker on the line, Light and Koppen included. The glitter lust for RB's and WR's notwithstanding, the trench warriors (which includes 4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB conversion prospects) should have priority. BB hiring Mangurian as his TE coach just adds emphasis to his TE preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes