PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WHAT IF? TAKING ANOTHER LOOK AT OCT 16TH JETS OVERINFLATION:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rawky77

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Okay you can call be paranoid, you can even say this is a reach, you may even say i am looking for something that is not there.

But bare with me a moment and consider the following.
The Wells Report stated that the Jets footballs were over inflated during the game and TB12 was really pissed about it and said they were like bricks. Well's further reported that the next morning Jastremski measures the balls and notifies TB12 that "the Ref's screwed us! Some of the balls were nearly 16 PSI.
Now this event as i have stated in another post clears TB12, Jastremski and McNally of any ball tampering prior to this event because THIS WAS A HOME GAME and if McNally had been deflating balls after the refs approved them he would have discovered the 16 PSI issue of the balls being overinflated and corrected it. The fact he does not discover it and correct it proves no ball deflation has been occurring.
This event also destroys the infamous "DEFLATOR" term as the first one appears in the first week of May when no regular games are scheduled for almost 3 months and the second occurs while the team is playing Green Bay which WAS AN AWAY GAME when McNally is not employed as the ball boy. McNally is only present at home games.

BUT THERE IS ANOTHER ASPECT of this i would like to explore and get your feedback on. What if the Refs over inflation of the footballs was not some absent minded mistake but a deliberate ACT BY THE REF!
Here is my premise:
This sting was planned before the beginning of the season and it was determined that the best way to make sure they would get their man, TB12, was to bait him by over inflating the footballs to astounding levels and make him play an entire game with them.
The fact that they chose the Jets game is quite revealing when one considers that Mike Kensil is a major driving force behind this whole thing and has many connections having been Head of Football Operations for many years for the JETS before moving to the NFL HQ.
Why do i think this is a likely scenario? Because no one can over inflate a football to 16Lbs pressure without actually desiring to do so. WHY IS IT IMPOSSIBLE TO OVER INFLATE A FOOTBALL TO 16 PSI? BECAUSE IT TAKES SEVERAL MINUTES TO RAISE EACH FOOTBALL'S PRESSURE FROM 12.5 PSI TO NEARLY 16 PSI.
I AM SURE THAT THE REASON NOT ALL THE FOOTBALLS WERE OVER INFLATED TO 16 PSI IS BECAUSE THE REF RAN OUT OF TIME TO COMPLETE THE PROCESS.

Let me know what you think? Do i need a TINFOIL HAT? OR ON SOME LEVEL DO YOU AGREE?

well, I think it's extraordinarily odd that a ref could 'accidentally' put an extra 4 lbs of air in a ball, and almost impossible to believe if it takes minutes, as you claim.

what you suggest is a bit of a stretch, but also maybe a subtle way to attempt point fixing if that ref were a betting man.

I was tempted to immediately red X you for being a crackpot, as many probably will, but who can really explain an extra four pounds of air?
I'd be curious as to the actual time it takes to do that.

of course, he'd have no way of knowing which ball was overinflated unless he were also the guy picking them out of the bag for play, and I kind of doubt he'd do them all like that

I inflated a soccer ball today to 10 PSI. It was supposed to be between 8 and 12 PSI.

I can vouch for the fact that it took me several pumps to move it from 7 or 8 to 10, so I'm assuming the ref pumped it at least 5 times to get from 12 to 16.

Which means that, yeah, anyone who does this regularly would know he only need a couple pumps to get it from 11 to 12.5, so the fact it got to 16 makes the whole thing nutty.

The ref had to be busting balls.

I'm sure this must have happened multiple time over the years, and I wouldn't blame McNally if he took it upon himself to make sure 16 PSIs dropped within the legal range.

Deflator indeed.

what you suggest is a bit of a stretch, but also maybe a subtle way to attempt point fixing if that ref were a betting man.
I don't think it shows any sort of gambling conspiracy on the part of the referee, but it certainly shows how incredibly unimportant this whole issue was to the league, the public and the officials - until January 19, 2015.

I'm sure this must have happened multiple time over the years, and I wouldn't blame McNally if he took it upon himself to make sure 16 PSIs dropped within the legal range.

Deflator indeed.

I've seen it put forward many times that something like this happened and it is absolutely impossible.

I'm willing to suspend disbelief long enough if you want to make the case that he let an unmeasured squirt of air out of 12 balls, but if you want to convince me he gauged those 12 balls to 12.5 in 80 seconds in a bathroom you'll have to get me on some mushrooms or something first

i wish they took 'A' look at the 16PSI overinflation. That part of the report where brady reportedly asks JJ to show the rules to the refs has been totally lost in the media narrative. A guy who wants to show the rules to the refs is condemned as a guy who has been breaking them from before that jets game. Go figure.:mad:

I sometimes wondered if the inflation and deflation of footballs is more common place among other teams than we are even aware of. I don't think your theory is beyond the realm of reasonable. Hell, it's against the Jets and if any team or coach knew how to try and get into TB's head, it's been them. Nothing would surprise me at this point. It's like the whole spygate being BLOWN way out proportion than it really was and the fact that many, if not all teams did some type of video-taping prior to that clusterphuck.

I sometimes wondered if the inflation and deflation of footballs is more common place among other teams than we are even aware of. I don't think your theory is beyond the realm of reasonable. Hell, it's against the Jets and if any team or coach knew how to try and get into TB's head, it's been them. Nothing would surprise me at this point. It's like the whole spygate being BLOWN way out proportion than it really was and the fact that many, if not all teams did some type of video-taping prior to that clusterphuck.

This is more likely than not exactly the truth. Too bad there's nothing we can do to avoid being completely unfairly fu.cked when every other team can do whatever they want.

I don't think it shows any sort of gambling conspiracy on the part of the referee, but it certainly shows how incredibly unimportant this whole issue was to the league, the public and the officials - until January 19, 2015.
Yes. I am sure that the one ref handed the ball to the other and said "add some air". It's an electric pump so he did, handed the ball back for a squeeze test and then into the ball bag.

I've seen it put forward many times that something like this happened and it is absolutely impossible.

I'm willing to suspend disbelief long enough if you want to make the case that he let an unmeasured squirt of air out of 12 balls, but if you want to convince me he gauged those 12 balls to 12.5 in 80 seconds in a bathroom you'll have to get me on some mushrooms or something first

I dont see how you misread what I wrote, but I wrote nothing about McNally and bathrooms.

It should be clear to Patriot fans that based on the texts, Brady and Jastremski had talked about the whole situation with the refs and PSI in the past. The fact that Brady was pissed basically meant he wanted Jastremski to make sure it didn't happen again. That could likely mean that McNally emphasizes to the refs that there can be no more 16 PSI balls and that Brady wants them at 12.5 PSI, with McNally hovering over their shoulders as they do their checks, or it could mean McNally made the adjustments himself (from 16 PSI to 12.5 PSI). That's what I am saying.

Meanwhile, elsewhere in the Meadowlands

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/24/sports/football/eli-mannings-footballs-are-months-in-making.html

For every N.F.L. game, each team has 12 to 20 balls that it has meticulously groomed and prepared according to the needs of its starting quarterback. The balls, brushed and primed using various obvious and semisecret techniques, bear the team logo and are switched out from sideline to sideline depending on which team is on offense.

That means that from series to series, the ball in play can feel wholly different, but each team’s quarterback always has a ball prepped by his equipment staff the way he likes it.

That's some crackpot bolding and capitalizing! As much as part of me is ready to dive into every rabbit hole that opens up, I think what we see here is as follows:

- In the JEST game, a ref just casually says/thinks "them damn Patriots and their saggy (i.e., 12.5 PSI) balls! Jack these way up!"
- Up they are jacked, no measurement taken, because it's bullcrap that this measuring process is some kind of sacrosanct ritual.
- THEN they turn it into the Holy PSI Measurement Ritual as part of the "gate" thing. Sounds like bullcrap to me. I think when Brady's pissed that the ball's jacked way the hell up, the ref reprises Aiello's role from 2006: "That's football"

Of course, "That's football" most days, unless it's your World Champion New England Patriots.

The worst thing about the Wells report is that it is not written to answer the question "what happened." It is written to answer the question "Are the Patriots guilty?" That's the first layer of bias; of course, the second through 3487th layer is all the tricks that go into "Generally aware" of "more probable than not."

But back to the first question: What happened here?

If you take a systems approach, if you're trotting out those texts discussing the rogue refs' behavior, you run that down, and you put it in black and white. Even if you don't like the guy who says your ref pumped up a ball to 16, you find out how and why.

If you're on a fault-finding mission with only one target, you ignore it.

As the NFL* chose to do.

Don't forget that one of the texts says to get the balls to 13 PSI, because that's where Brady likes them.

The likeliest explanation, as I can imagine it, is that Brady told them to get the balls to 13. Brady very likely didn't care how they did it, or didn't even know the rules of when it was to be done. I imagine he just understood that the ball guy could get them to his preferred PSI together with the refs, and there needn't be a conspiracy to do so.

Why?

Because he wanted the balls at 13 PSI, within the legal range. Not 16 PSI.

Agree entirely with the two posters ^. <up starter> and <patsfansva>. It maddens me to no end that media and fans are treating this like Brady wanted the balls below 12.5. When the Wells report could of easily bolded the 13 psi text and refused. Instead they take it a step further like some kind of murder court trial with an ax to grind.

This is why I stand by Brady 100% and why I disdain the outside world for thinking I'm only supporting Brady because I have homer glasses on. There is nothing on earth that is going to change my mind on this. This conversation we are having is the pulse of Patriots Nation the media should be going after but refuses. They go with the juicier gossip peace to try to fabricate their own version of Shoeless Joe Jackson and insert the Great Brady as fallen hero.

All this will come out if/when Brady takes Goodell & NFL to court. Everyone involved will be exposed and will have to be held accountable which will play a major part in Brady's suspension and Pat's loss of draft picks as well. A lot of questions for Goodell and NFL to answer about why others weren't penalized for their actions and why severity towards Pats and not others. I smell a Jet I mean Rat!

Bronx, we all have our own styles but please consider helping me out in my personal crusade to properly asterisk the acronym NFL*, as is appropriate :)

This has been a pubic cervix announcement.

Can the Jets proof they didn't do this?
Seriously, why shouldn't that be investigated? If those balls were in the Jet's hands this is a far more clear (measurements wise) and egregious case of tampering with football PSI. But oh yeah, Patriots probably didn't make a formal complaint to the league because they aren't a bunch of crying b******.

And to address some of the other posts let's not anyone start assuming the referees, who were also stealing charity balls, are beyond reproach.

Bronx, we all have our own styles but please consider helping me out in my personal crusade to properly asterisk the acronym NFL*, as is appropriate :)

This has been a pubic cervix announcement.

PFIVa, Anything for a worthy Cause....... 'Cause NFL* is well deserving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes