PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What if Pats only deflated overinflated balls?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tombonneau

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
The more I think about all these circumstances the more I'm settling on this theory. Look, you have these jokers sending some texts that clearly indicate something is going on with football. Yes some of it is dumb humor but let's not be naive.

Now you also have the most telling two pieces of evidence that somehow are ignored by the mainstream media: the 16 psi vs 13 psi texts and Brady printing out the psi range and having it be handed to the officials.

To me this forms a narrative they Brady was sick of refs who sometimes overinflated balls. So he shows them the rules. I could then reasonably see him telling the equipment guy look if you get any more of these 16 psi balloons I'm not playing with them so make sure they get brought down to regulation.

Now would that be cheating in the sense it's tampering with a ref approved ball? Yes. But it's only because the refs didn't do their jobs.

So maybe McNally goes in the bathroom, looks at a few balls, sees they are fine, and leaves. This explains why the science of the balls shows what it does but also explains some of the texts from earlier in the year.

Even if this isn't true, it's the story I would run with as the Pats. It admit some guilt to satisfy the lunatic fringe but clearly is well outside the realm of dirty cheaters: Pats are just looking for a level playing field that is being deprived from them by lazy refs who don't even know the rulebook.

The key is, did they deflate the balls AFTER the refs tested them and is that legal, even if you deflate them to 13.0 ?

The key is, did they deflate the balls AFTER the refs tested them and is that legal, even if you deflate them to 13.0 ?

No, that wouldn't be the proper channels, but as the op says, hardly dirty either.

This is what I believe as well...explains a lot, including Brady's nervousness. I have no proof of course, just like Wells.

Great point here. This is the only reasonable conclusion that can be drawn from the text messages. The texts neither completely absolve McNally from any wrongdoing, nor do they completely incriminate him.

If you read through those texts from a neutral standpoint, it's hard to not wonder what exactly words like "deflator" and "not going to espn" referred to. I don't think it's enough to incriminate anyone, and certainly doesn't justify the absurd ruling by the NFL, but it raises legitimate concern.

The most plausible explanation for the series of the texts is that McNally was instructed to deflate the balls if the refs overinflated them. he then quipped that if he wasn't given compensation in the form of shoes/tix or whatever, he wouldn't deflate and would leave them at their overinflated levels.

More probably than not that is what happened. Technically it's against the rules to tamper with them after inspection, and this scenario probably would get the team a fine...which led me to my post the other day. Why were those footballs at 16 PSI? If you can't touch the footballs it seems way too easy to abuse the rule and rig a game.

Too bad Wells didn't get asked today why that didn't make it in the report.

Last edited:
No, that wouldn't be the proper channels, but as the op says, hardly dirty either.

This is what I believe as well...explains a lot, including Brady's nervousness. I have no proof of course, just like Wells.
Right. It's technically not by the book but is still a much more cushy gray area than deflating 12.5 balls to 11.

Not sure if Pats have dug their heels in too deep on this already to fall back on this defense but it makes a lot of sense to me. It absolves them of AFCCG shenanigans and hopefully would even allow them to cite a handful of games and/or ref crews where they were forced to resort to these efforts to bring balls into regulation.

What's the routine chain of event for a bag of newly minted NFL footballs until it reaches the refs 2 hours prior to game time. Aren't the balls prepped by McNally and J then handed to the refs? So the refs overinflated the jets game ball to 16? Also during the prepping process, M and J probably deflate to 12.5 thus the nickname "deflator". In this context completely legal. Why is this point not mentioned at all by media?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes