PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What if Dez Bryant slides to twenty-two?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's ironic. Wasn't that the year David Terrell was "the can't miss" WR everyone was clamoring for?
Anyway, a lot has changed in 9 years. It is a much bigger risk nowadays to take a risk considering salaries, and our wonderful new commissioner, and his policies.

That is why you take a big gulp, figure a way to get him signed reasonably and take 26 year old Brandon Marshall who is already proven and makes this Team better before the ink is dry on his new contract. With no CAP this might be the time to use a signing like Marshall to the Pats advantage. We lose Moss next year, do you want a sophomore to be your #1 guy if Welker is still on the mend (ACL can take more than a year for full recovery)?

I have heard it all. Dez Bryant could be worse than Marshall, Mike Williams Syracuse? Another handful. Damian Williams the WR from USC....nyet. I repeat, a WR from USC=POISON. Benn? He went down hill in 2009. Tate is a slot WR and we have Welker and Endleman. Gilyard? Past issues and more of a slot guy. Thomas has a broken foot and a weak WR resume.

Think about this clearly Cousins. Marshall is a proven product and a proven pain in the ass. We don't know the others and you still have to guarantee a first rounder millions before his first NFL catch.
DW Toys

Last edited:
The reason Bryant had to lie about being at Dieon's house is the reason that he will never be a Patriot. That is the day he signed on to be a Eugene Parker client!

So cross him off your draft board (because BB already has) and I hope he does fall to #22, because the Pats can then trade that pick away to someone who wants him.

Last edited:
Think about this clearly Cousins. Marshall is a proven product and a proven pain in the ass. We don't know the others and you still have to guarantee a first rounder millions before his first NFL catch.
DW Toys

If the Patriots do trade for Marshall, I'll be simultaneously excited and very, very nervous (by comparison, I was only excited when the Pats got Moss).

In general terms, prima donna wide receivers never seem to have as many problems when they have hall of fame quarterbacks getting them the ball. All they want is ball and money.

I'm on record right here as saying if Dez Bryant fell to 22 he would either be a Patriot,or we will get one hell of a package to trade down. Way too talented to fall to 22, no matter what his issues are. Right or wrong, that's the way it works in todays NFL.

They could easily package 22 for the Buccanneers 2nd and 3rd this year and possibly their 2nd next year.

Last edited:
That is why you take a big gulp, figure a way to get him signed reasonably and take 26 year old Brandon Marshall who is already proven and makes this Team better before the ink is dry on his new contract. With no CAP this might be the time to use a signing like Marshall to the Pats advantage. We lose Moss next year, do you want a sophomore to be your #1 guy if Welker is still on the mend (ACL can take more than a year for full recovery)?

I have heard it all. Dez Bryant could be worse than Marshall, Mike Williams Syracuse? Another handful. Damian Williams the WR from USC....nyet. I repeat, a WR from USC=POISON. Benn? He went down hill in 2009. Tate is a slot WR and we have Welker and Endleman. Gilyard? Past issues and more of a slot guy. Thomas has a broken foot and a weak WR resume.

DW Toys

What does the #22 pick in the draft make? Marshall wants $10 million a year.

What does the #22 pick in the draft make? Marshall wants $10 million a year.

At #24 in 2007, Brandon Meriweather got a five-year deal totaling about $9 million.

The reason Bryant had to lie about being at Dieon's house is the reason that he will never be a Patriot. That is the day he signed on to be a Eugene Parker client!

So cross him off your draft board (because BB already has) and I hope he does fall to #22, because the Pats can then trade that pick away to someone who wants him.

Come again? Please explain why he HAD to lie about being at Sanders' house. I hope you realize that college players are allowed to have contacts with agents legally as long as they do not accept any financial reimbursement.

There comes a time that the potential reward is worth the risk and that would be the case, for me, with Bryant. "Don't be afraid to take a chance on greatness" Belichick once said and the potential to solve our WR problem with one pick far outweighs the negative of a bust for me especially with three #2s the next day and two #1s next year.

There comes a time that the potential reward is worth the risk and that would be the case, for me, with Bryant. "Don't be afraid to take a chance on greatness" Belichick once said and the potential to solve our WR problem with one pick far outweighs the negative of a bust for me especially with three #2s the next day and two #1s next year.

Agreed. We'd be insane not to take him. Historically we've done pretty well with inserting players on this team with a checkered past. Why is a young 20+ player any different?

This whole thread is mute anyway. I really think some are just down playing this kid because they know there is no chance he is falling to 22. And if he did they would be anxiously crapping in their pants waiting for his name to be called.

Come again? Please explain why he HAD to lie about being at Sanders' house. I hope you realize that college players are allowed to have contacts with agents legally as long as they do not accept any financial reimbursement.

Because this is the day he signed with Parker and got money, I guarenntee it. Do you honestly belive that armed with all that T. Boone Pickens money that OSU would not have fought the NCAA tooth and nail to re-instate its "primetime" receiver if the only infraction found by the NCAA was lying about having di9nner at Dieon's?????

FWIW Moss fell to 21 for off the field issues, and teams not wanting to take a chance on him

The further he falls, the bigger the grudge he will feel against those teams that don't draft him. If he makes it to us at 22, that's a lot of anger that he'll could channel into his game. I realise it's a tenuous argument, but a motivated Bryant....watch out.

Not interested in any WR or RB in round one.

FWIW, here's an intersite round one mock that shows Bryant as the Pats pick: Draft Daddy: Mock Draft

Kyle Wilson, Maurkice Pouncey, and Jared Odrick were all available.

I believe Moss and Sapp both fell in their respective drafts due to an issue directly related to their marijuana use. Failed drug test. And Marino fell in his draft similarly to a drug abuse rumor. Sapp was also rumored to have tested positive for cocaine.

I digress, for me, it's a matter of deciding between Bryant or Thomas if either is there at twenty-two. Because you're hoping to find that replacement for Moss, not Welker. You already drafted Edelman...

Interestingly, Deion Sanders played mentor to Darius Butler.

When you put Butler's skill set together, it's not surprising that a lot of people are looking at him as a definite first-day pick. But one expert saw a bit more -- Deion Sanders, perhaps the best cover cornerback in NFL history, called Scott Lakatos, Butler's position coach, halfway through Butler's senior season. "I called him back as soon as I could," Butler said. "We kept in touch through the rest of my senior season".

This led to Butler accepting an invitation to train for the 2009 Scouting Combine with Sanders, personal trainer Dean Rousse, and fellow advisors and ex-cornerbacks Kevin Mathis and Omar Stoutmire in Carrollton, Texas. The experience, seen in the NFL Network documentary "Prime U", is one that Butler won't soon forget.

"Just how to handle myself as a professional -- that was the most important thing I learned from [Sanders]. A lot of things off the field, when it comes to your money, what to look out for. Obviously, the football was important, too. I learned a huge amount...

"We went out other places, outside of football. Just to relax. We went to Deion's house, went to Omar Stoutmire's house. We went to church together, had a lot of speakers come in and talk about different things, as far as how our lives were changing. It was a pretty good experience all around."

PreDraft: Darius Butler: Ready for Prime Time - The League at washingtonpost.com

BMW was a serious busteroo at 10th overall, Matt Millon had a thing for Bust 1st Rd WRS.

Because this is the day he signed with Parker and got money, I guarenntee it. Do you honestly belive that armed with all that T. Boone Pickens money that OSU would not have fought the NCAA tooth and nail to re-instate its "primetime" receiver if the only infraction found by the NCAA was lying about having di9nner at Dieon's?????

This is what I thought you were getting at. Every one of these bigtime guys takes money. JayWilliams handed a bundle over last year, and to a player Duke was recruiting. How many current Patriots got money?

All the SEC gives money, and in the B10, Michigan and Ohio State are notorious. You can be sure Texas does as well. USC? Miami? Florida St?

I sure hope the FO is making sure to do background/reference checks b4 the player is drafted. Recommendations and reports college coaches make about players definitely holds water. I hope the Pats use these tactics to acquire better info about a given player. :D

I sure hope the FO is making sure to do background/reference checks b4 the player is drafted. Recommendations and reports college coaches make about players definitely holds water. I hope the Pats use these tactics to acquire better info about a given player. :D

Unfortunately, the only thing the OSU coach is good at evaluating is whether or not the kid is a man. If Bryant is a man, the coach will tell Belichick, "He's a man."

:ditto:

Not to mention he will easily be the best value on the board if he slipped to 22 and with WR being a position of need, there's no way BB passes.

I don't think another team would be willing to put together a trade package attractive enough to coax BB into trading this pick. Questionable off the field antics or not, I'm confident BB would pull the trigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back